ADVERTISEMENT

When will you learn.... the Riley pipe dream

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
I see a lot of posts suggesting "if he can get better throwing " our offense will be unstoppable.

Just like I told you many QB's ago...

You DON'T make someone accurate.

They're accurate or not. You can polish the skill but you don't teach arm strength or accuracy. Period.

He misses receivers by miles. Wimbush style.

Quit with the pipe dream and face reality.
He's just another weak armed starting QB for our beloved that can't hit the ocean throwing off the pier.

Haven't we had enough of these QB's yet?

Apparently the coaches love them

I see a lot of posts suggesting "if he can get better throwing " our offense will be unstoppable.

They're accurate or not. You can polish the skill but you don't teach arm strength or accuracy. Period.

He's just another weak armed starting QB for our beloved that can't hit the ocean throwing off the pier.

Didn't you hear? Riley Leonard is a "Dual Threat" 1st round NFL talent.

If his knock is he "sometimes throw erratic" like his 2nd pick with NIU, he never plays another game for me.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I feel like most here, we got the wrong guy. If we drop another one, I'd honestly just like to see ND put Carr in there and get ready for 25.....No sense in wasting a year as CJ will move on our leave in 3....

RL was 5-10 to start, then came back with a strong 11-15 as the game went on. He also has guys not making catches at times they should have, a few right in their hands. There were several PI's, that he did put the ball there that would have been big. So unlike the last few games, he did go deep, he did put it there, some he got, some were PI. The few times he had them open, it was 60% completion chance.

He has not really played in well over a year, missed the spring, has an OL that gives free rushers and his wideouts are not open like Tenn's were.....

If we measure RL as a QB, when he was healthy, and ran an offense he knew, here are his 2022 stats......I think most of us would take this.....64%....3k yards..

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTG

He has NOT performed well this year, there is no debating that.....but I did see in the second half some glimmer of hope after a terrible start....lets see if he can get his 2022 mojo against the cards.....we owe them.

I feel like most here, we got the wrong guy. If we drop another one, I'd honestly just like to see ND put Carr in there and get ready for 25.....No sense in wasting a year as CJ will move on our leave in 3....

RL was 5-10 to start, then came back with a strong 11-15 as the game went on. He also has guys not making catches at times they should have, a few right in their hands. There were several PI's, that he did put the ball there that would have been big. So unlike the last few games, he did go deep, he did put it there, some he got, some were PI. The few times he had them open, it was 60% completion chance.

He has not really played in well over a year, missed the spring, has an OL that gives free rushers and his wideouts are not open like Tenn's were.....

If we measure RL as a QB, when he was healthy, and ran an offense he knew, here are his 2022 stats......I think most of us would take this.....64%....3k yards..

He has NOT performed well this year, there is no debating that.....but I did see in the second half some glimmer of hope after a terrible start....lets see if he can get his 2022 mojo against the cards.....we owe them.
100%, if/when ND gets that second loss, they must start building for the future whether that’s Carr, Minchey, Angeli. Doubt it will happen

Reactions: ftnfan62

Those stats you cite are what gave me hope going into the season. I don't think Duke's receivers or its OL were any better than ours. It's a strange combo of recovering from a major injury, an iffy offensive line and receivers, and learning a new system. But after four games I've seen enough. I'm hoping after the second loss, which I anticipate coming soon, the coaches make the switch to one of the other guys and relegate Riley to special run packages near the goal line.

First requirement of any QB should be their ability to throw the ball. Riley has had ONE good pass IMO at this point in 100? throws. Tyler Buchner/Brandon Wimbush anyone? We have people that can run the ball. We NEED someone who can throw it. Becoming one dimensional is a death warrant. Please give the backups a chance. Angelli seems like a better running version of Rees(not great, but serviceable). Carr apparently is better than that. Minchey, who knows? We haven’t really seen anything but if I had to guess, is Angelli with more athleticism. With a beat up OL, we need a QB that can buy time AND throw.

Last edited:
First requirement of any QB should be their ability to throw the ball. Riley has had ONE good pass IMO at this point in 100? throws. Tyler Buchner/Brandon Wimbush anyone? We have people that can run the ball. We NEED someone who can throw it. Becoming one dimensional is a death warrant. Please give the backups a chance. Angelli seems like a better running version of Rees(not great, but serviceable). Carr apparently is better than that. Minchey, who knows? We haven’t really seen anything but if I had to guess, is Angelli with more athleticism. With a beat up OL, we need a QB that can buy time AND throw.
Even the receivers are becoming frustrated. I saw I can’t remember which TE Leonard overthrew on the out route in the 1st haf, I believe it was Evans, but he was CLEARLY unhappy when he went to the sidelines. He took his helmet off and shouted in frustration, and you can tell it had to do with the complete miss on the throw.

It also seemed Jaden Thomas wasn’t thrilled with ball placement on a slant route. His body language, read along the lines of, “Really dude? That’s where you put the ball?”

This offense is one good defense away from losing another game.

I don't think Carr has proven in any way that he's the obvious guy, first of all. So yours is a stars-obsessed fan sentiment. And would basically clean out the whole QB room and rightfully so. As in Carr's the only QB left on the roster, after RL graduates in relative ignominy and Minchey and Angeli are both spring transfers.

So we wouldn't do that, we'd probably put Angeli in there, who's paid his dues, and is presumably the most game ready to help us win this season, which quite obviously any coach has a fundamental obligation to pursue, as opposed to tanking games to get the 1st pick in the draft, and that's what ND will have deliberately reduced themselves to. And then have a QB comp in the spring/summer/fall.

Reactions: 4-4-3
The Leonard supporters in this forum claim he's the best chance ND has because he's a "Dual Threat" QB. They must not understand the meaning of the word "dual". For the RL supporters that read this "dual threat" means the QB can run and throw consistently, RL only has the ability to run, his passing has been atrocious and is far from being considered a dual threat QB.

Let's put that 2nd half in perspective. Miami OH has inferior talent by a wide margin compared to ND. The ND offense simply wore down the much smaller, slower Miami OH defense, that's why you saw improvement in the 2nd half.

Let's put that 2nd half in perspective. Miami OH has inferior talent by a wide margin compared to ND. The ND offense simply wore down the much smaller, slower Miami OH defense, that's why you saw improvement in the 2nd half.

I agree.

This is why I think ND will again be found out against a better team.

MF is in disarray. I reviewed some clips of him the past 2 days. He's in over his head.

As some have said, he seems more cheerleader than coach.

Even as program manager, you have to question him on Denbrock and RL alone.

Even the receivers are becoming frustrated. I saw I can’t remember which TE Leonard overthrew on the out route in the 1st haf, I believe it was Evans, but he was CLEARLY unhappy when he went to the sidelines. He took his helmet off and shouted in frustration, and you can tell it had to do with the complete miss on the throw.

It also seemed Jaden Thomas wasn’t thrilled with ball placement on a slant route. His body language, read along the lines of, “Really dude? That’s where you put the ball?”

This offense is one good defense away from losing another game.
I can’t speak to the Thomas play, but that was Flanagan that took off his helmet, and I think it’s safe to assume that he did so because he got hurt.

Reactions: yorick17
I agree.

MF is in disarray. I reviewed some clips of him the past 2 days. He's in over his head.

You're correct about Freeman. Initially I was against the hire, but once it was made, had to support the guy. Gave him a pass in year 1 with the Marshall and Stanford debacles. Year 2 saw some improvement, no shocking losses.

Year 3, the loss to NIU, and his stubbornness to stick with a struggling QB show he's in over his head. He's going to get 5 years, so let's hope he can turn it around.

Reactions: banmate6
I don't think anyone here is arguing that RL is Joe Montana. It is not known that Angelli makes us better, and the coaches share this opinion. I think Louisville will tell us a lot. They are a solid team. I think this teams ceiling is making the playoff and losing, no matter who is at QB. If we lose to Louisville we may see a change, but I think we beat them. I do think Angelli needs more game time, in the event RL gets hurt or continues to be ineffective in the passing game. RL getting booed yesterday is a national story, so the coaches are aware a lot of fans want a change. Playing both QBs could be an option; but I doubt the coaches do this in a tight game.

Last edited:
I agree.

Yeah, indeed. Purdue is a Big Ten team, not great but still, and we beat them 66-7. And we beat A&M at home. So maybe we won't get found out. But that's mainly a testament to how remarkably weak our schedule is, compared to say LSU. Then again all RL has to do is make it through this one season and get us into the field. So it's a bit of a quandary. And I imagine the decision even if there are any misgivings among the coaches will be to keep running with RL, I guess unless/until he's really, really bad. And we just can't scheme around him sufficiently, and have to abandon the project.

As to MF's longer term prospects, that's a good question. Great defense, check. OL still largely a strength even if this is a rebuilding season. Good RBs/run game. But most definitely he needs bring to bear some strategic leadership and acumen or whatnot to the passing game, at the all-important QB position. Because this is duct tape offense currently. And if RL is this bad passing all season, there's something about staying with him week after week with the passing game such a glaring weakness that isn't being addressed that makes you feel a bit queasy.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that RL is Joe Montana. But he did throw better at Duke, and it is not known that Angelli makes us better, and the coaches share this opinion. I think Louisville will tell us a lot. They are a solid team. I think this teams ceiling is making the playoff and losing, no matter who is at QB. If we lose to Louisville we may see a change, but I think we beat them. I do think Angelli needs more game time, in the event RL gets hurt or continues to be ineffective in the passing game.
It doesn't matter what the coaches think. This is us as fans deciding, and opining. Obviously they're the coaches, but that fact that they are the coaches has no bearing on the argument. Sorry for being pedantic, I'm just saying.

And speaking of the coaches, if I were MF my goal would be to make the playoff, this season, most definitely. This is our shot. Not stick with RL until he loses and then decide on your next move. And that's a tough call to make. We're obviously going to stick with RL vs Louisville, arguably the toughest team left on the schedule outside of USC to end the season. But my burning ambition of the moment if I were coach most effin' definitely would be I want to be 10-1 when we hit LA to play USC. And with that in mind I choose my starting QB accordingly.

Reactions: christophero
I just think that if Angelli was dropping dimes all week in practice he'd get more run. I agree this team as is would lose to USC, but a lot of season left.

I just think that if Angelli was dropping dimes all week in practice he'd get more run. I agree this team as is would lose to USC, but a lot of season left.
We can beat any team on our schedule. We can also lose to most on our schedule with our inconsistency. Have to get more consistent. Freeman needs to figure that part out.

Usc isnt some juggernaut. They're a good team but nothing special

Reactions: christophero
Those stats you cite are what gave me hope going into the season. I don't think Duke's receivers or its OL were any better than ours. It's a strange combo of recovering from a major injury, an iffy offensive line and receivers, and learning a new system. But after four games I've seen enough. I'm hoping after the second loss, which I anticipate coming soon, the coaches make the switch to one of the other guys and relegate Riley to special run packages near the goal line.
Stop with the excuses for him about a "new system"
Systems don't make someone inaccurate.

Moreover,
Riley went to Duke and now at ND.
Safe to say he's sharp between the ears, no?

These are all the same damn systems...or very similar systems.
It's not like he went from the spread at Duke to a wishbone/fkexbone Navy offense.
Or a complete power I pro set.

It's not the offense it's simply him. He's not a strong armed accurate passer.

Reactions: futuredomer
I don't think anyone here is arguing that RL is Joe Montana. It is not known that Angelli makes us better, and the coaches share this opinion. I think Louisville will tell us a lot. They are a solid team. I think this teams ceiling is making the playoff and losing, no matter who is at QB. If we lose to Louisville we may see a change, but I think we beat them. I do think Angelli needs more game time, in the event RL gets hurt or continues to be ineffective in the passing game. RL getting booed yesterday is a national story, so the coaches are aware a lot of fans want a change. Playing both QBs could be an option; but I doubt the coaches do this in a tight game.
Clearing my throat....

To some the previous coach was close to God like status.

Remember that previous coach HAD to use two QB's to eek out a 12-0 record.
How many games did Tommy Rees bail out Everett Golson?
Nearly all of them but the most important one. The title game where Rees didn't take a snap.

So two things....

2 QB's can be done...

And...

The previous coach was an idiot.

You're correct about Freeman. Initially I was against the hire, but once it was made, had to support the guy. Gave him a pass in year 1 with the Marshall and Stanford debacles. Year 2 saw some improvement, no shocking losses.

Year 3, the loss to NIU, and his stubbornness to stick with a struggling QB show he's in over his head. He's going to get 5 years, so let's hope he can turn it around.
How many places are allowing the NIL to make the depth chart?

Perhaps it's more common than we think....
We just have the wrong NIL QB. ? ...per usual.

Reactions: futuredomer

I don't know, FSU sticking with DJ who's been worse than Riley.
A coach with balls would do the right thing regardless of NIL. Do you believe NIL sets the depth chart at Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State? I don't.

I guess.

Was he lucky in 2022 or does he just simply suck today.

Pretty much the only two options

I don't know, FSU sticking with DJ who's been worse than Riley.
A coach with balls would do the right thing regardless of NIL. Do you believe NIL sets the depth chart at Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State? I don't.
Well
Are the above teams using transfers or their own recruited players?

I don't follow them. Couldn't even tell you their names.

The only one I have watched is Eli Holstein and he got beemed up to Pitt via the star trek portal.

That's irritating because that kid can throw the damn ball and he can run effectively enough. As in smart running.

AND....
WE DON'T HAVE HIM!! 🤬

Perhaps he was too good for the tyoe of QB we like to start around these parts.

Believe it when I see it.

NIL sets the depth chart around these parts.
Stop with the excuses for him about a "new system"
Systems don't make someone inaccurate.

Moreover,
Riley went to Duke and now at ND.
Safe to say he's sharp between the ears, no?

These are all the same damn systems...or very similar systems.
It's not like he went from the spread at Duke to a wishbone/fkexbone Navy offense.
Or a complete power I pro set.

It's not the offense it's simply him. He's not a strong armed accurate passer.
Clearing my throat....

To some the previous coach was close to God like status.

Remember that previous coach HAD to use two QB's to eek out a 12-0 record.
How many games did Tommy Rees bail out Everett Golson?
Nearly all of them but the most important one. The title game where Rees didn't take a snap.

So two things....

2 QB's can be done...

And...

The previous coach was an idiot.

I guess.

Was he lucky in 2022 or does he just simply suck today.

Pretty much the only two options
Well
Are the above teams using transfers or their own recruited players?

I don't follow them. Couldn't even tell you their names.

The only one I have watched is Eli Holstein and he got beemed up to Pitt via the star trek portal.

That's irritating because that kid can throw the damn ball and he can run effectively enough. As in smart running.

AND....
WE DON'T HAVE HIM!! 🤬

Perhaps he was too good for the tyoe of QB we like to start around these parts.
Yawn.

Yeah, indeed. Purdue is a Big Ten team, not great but still, and we beat them 66-7. And we beat A&M at home. So maybe we won't get found out. But that's mainly a testament to how remarkably weak our schedule is, compared to say LSU. Then again all RL has to do is make it through this one season and get us into the field. So it's a bit of a quandary. And I imagine the decision even if there are any misgivings among the coaches will be to keep running with RL, I guess unless/until he's really, really bad. And we just can't scheme around him sufficiently, and have to abandon the project.

As to MF's longer term prospects, that's a good question. Great defense, check. OL still largely a strength even if this is a rebuilding season. Good RBs/run game. But most definitely he needs bring to bear some strategic leadership and acumen or whatnot to the passing game, at the all-important QB position. Because this is duct tape offense currently. And if RL is this bad passing all season, there's something about staying with him week after week with the passing game such a glaring weakness that isn't being addressed that makes you feel a bit queasy.

Excellent observations and comments.

I’m skeptical MF can make those adjustments.

I really wanted him to succeed. I wasn’t enthusiastic about his hire. But saw glimmers of hope last season. Then the NIU debacle, one game vividly demonstrating Stanford and Marshall were not outliers.

These things take time to play out and assess. Especially for my less than masterful knowledge of Xs and Os. So I hope I am wrong…but I unfortunately don’t see a lot of upside to MF.

I too really like him. Pretty sure the players do too. But that’s obviously it enough.

100% agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT