ADVERTISEMENT

What the obsession with Dexter Williams?

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
This board has been salivating over this guy for a couple of years. Why? What has he ever done? Notre Dame has had some damn good running backs over the past decade or two. How does this dude stack up?

When he's not in trouble or injured he's one of the best players on the field.
He's probably one of the best in between the tackles runners since the Theo Riddick/Cierre Wood era 5+ years ago.

He has a ton of acceleration/burst and he breaks a lot of tackles/and can make defenders miss better than anybody at the position on the roster. He's the perfect compliment to the other RBs on the roster who are more satelite/3rd down backs.

Just a really solid player at a position of need, with skills of need, who has a ton of upside as well.

Last edited:
Also, with Armstrong out our rb depth and talent is a joke... Dex has to be the answer or we’ll be throwing all game

LOL.

Before the season nobody on here gave two poops about Armstrong...now he is everything?
Guess who has more yards from scrimmage on less touches this season in rushing & receiving?

Also, with Armstrong out our rb depth and talent is a joke... Dex has to be the answer or we’ll be throwing all game
Sadly, end of the day his game action is zero this year and sporadic in prior years. Don’t expect him to be any type of work horse. A real challenge to throw him in there in mid- season against a team like Stanford. Hopefully he will rise rapidly to the occasion.

Dexter in his career averages just under 5 carries per game.
In the two games he got the majority of snaps due to others’ injuries he averaged about 3 ypc.
He was also responsible for five sacks.
He is a HR hitter when getting 4-5 carries a game, that’s it.

Reactions: Pennick4
It isn't like he hasn't been with the team practicing/training/etc. just hasn't been in games.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be ready to make an impact right off the bat.

In the two games he got the majority of snaps due to others’ injuries he averaged about 3 ypc.

He's played so limitedly due to injury/otherwise that it's nearly impossible to use a statistical argument to assess his career at this point.

Dexter Williams is a much better athlete than Tony Jones Jr. is ... and has more pedigree at the position than anybody else on the roster. This alone is a big net-positive for NDs outlook rest of season.

Williams was a big time prospect out of HS and has done nothing but flash big time playmaking ability/speed/etc. when given an opportunity.

If he has his head on straight, is committed to the football program, kept in shape, etc. (if he developed over the off-season) he has the ability to be a star/difference maker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodizephax
R
It isn't like he hasn't been with the team practicing/training/etc. just hasn't been in games.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be ready to make an impact right off the bat.
Running with the 4th string in practice is light years away from being ready to play and contribute in the lightening fast environment and speed of full game action.

You’ll be eating crow tomorrow brother. Stop hatin on my boy Dex the ORIGINAL GANSTER. He will have 100+ yards

You’ll be eating crow tomorrow brother. Stop hatin on my boy Dex the ORIGINAL GANSTER. He will have 100+ yards

Remember how you guaranteed that we would lose to Michigan without Dexter???

Good times. Good times.

Jones is a better RB than Dexter.

Dexter has more raw talent, but he just hasn’t had the “want to”, so far in his career. Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass and actually tries to help the team now. He’d be a real benefit if he did.

LOL.

Before the season nobody on here gave two poops about Armstrong...now he is everything?
Guess who has more yards from scrimmage on less touches this season in rushing & receiving?
BS.... iiontario and I were hyping Armstrong before the season, others as well. I clearly stated without Armstrong developing we could be in trouble at the RB position. Armstrong vs wake to me showed growth in finishing runs, vision, speed, elusiveness. He was trending up big time. He struggled with pad level first two weeks. Excited to watch him continue to grow

It is a fact that Dexter Williams can do more with limited blocking. He sees it and goes for it. He was always a better runner than Josh Adams, but his blocking and injuries held him back. Best pure runner with vision on the team.

Remember how you guaranteed that we would lose to Michigan without Dexter???

Good times. Good times.

Jones is a better RB than Dexter.

Dexter has more raw talent, but he just hasn’t had the “want to”, so far in his career. Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass and actually tries to help the team now. He’d be a real benefit if he did.
Jones isn’t half the running back as Dex. He had like 2 ypc against ball state and he cannot break a tackle.

Nonsense.
Dex 9 ypc last year. He just runs the ball better than jones and anyone who is honest can see that clear as day. And before you tell me he can’t catch how many catches did jones have last year? What did jones do so great last year? I remember Dex having an awesome TD catch against Sparty, especially for someone who “can’t catch”

Jones is the superior football player. Way, way more to playing the position than carrying the ball.
Jones and the word superior don’t belong in the same sentence when talking about Dex. Cmon man what has he ever done better? Ever?

What games were these he got the majority? Was he a freshman or sophomore because I don’t remember any game like this.

Dexter is going to go Tony Dorsett on Stanford !I think he may run for over 200 yards against the trees!!!
In order assist in doing this I hope they let the grass grow a couple of extra weeks like that week as the legend goes. Oooppppsss....no grass now.

Jones and the word superior don’t belong in the same sentence when talking about Dex. Cmon man what has he ever done better? Ever?
Every other phase of playing the position other than the pure running ability Dex was born with.

Dex 9 ypc last year. He just runs the ball better than jones and anyone who is honest can see that clear as day. And before you tell me he can’t catch how many catches did jones have last year? What did jones do so great last year? I remember Dex having an awesome TD catch against Sparty, especially for someone who “can’t catch”
He does run the ball better but Jones does everything else better. All phases are important. ND is 4-0. You said they had NO chance of beating Michigan without Dex. It will be good to have him back as he brings experienced depth to the position.

Every other phase of playing the position other than the pure running ability Dex was born with.
Lol what phases? Jones isn’t exactly quenton Nelson back there either in pass blocking? There’s only a handful of phases to the game.

Pass blocking: jones
Running: need I even say more
Pass catching: jones hasn’t proved much but has had a decent year catching the ball. Dex has some nice catches out of the back field including the best TD catch by a ND back I’ve seen in a long time vs Sparty.

I think just how ridiculously better Dex is at actually running the ball he gets the advantage

He does run the ball better but Jones does everything else better. All phases are important. ND is 4-0. You said they had NO chance of beating Michigan without Dex. It will be good to have him back as he brings experienced depth to the position.
And guess what, if they didn’t have Jafar and had to rely on tony jones they would have NO chance to beat Michigan!

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Lol what phases? Jones isn’t exactly quenton Nelson back there either in pass blocking? There’s only a handful of phases to the game.

Pass blocking: jones
Running: need I even say more
Pass catching: jones hasn’t proved much but has had a decent year catching the ball. Dex has some nice catches out of the back field including the best TD catch by a ND back I’ve seen in a long time vs Sparty.

I think just how ridiculously better Dex is at actually running the ball he gets the advantage
Jones isn't Quentin Nelson but he's not the swinging gate Dex is in pass protection.

Jones isn’t half the running back as Dex. He had like 2 ypc against ball state and he cannot break a tackle.

Incorrect.
This is just as wrong as your Guarantee that we couldn’t possibly ever beat Michigan without Dexter Williams.

Jones is a better running back then Williams at this point in their careers. Williams is a better athlete, who, unfortunately has decided not to develop himself as a running back, yet.

Jones has already proven that he can be an effective college RB, as he’s on pace to have one of the better seasons for an RB under Kelly, perhaps second behind only Josh Adams.

Now, if Dexter Williams gets his head out of his ass, he has the potential to be even better than that. He really could be special… But right now he hasn’t even shown that he is serviceable.

Hopefully the fact that he is in his last year and on his last chance to even sniff the NFL will motivate him to finally put in the work To achieve his potential.

If he has done that during the off-season and has shown it during practice, albeit be at in limited situations and largely with the scout team (due to his own failings) Then he should get a salad portion of Jafar Armstrongs carries against Stanford.

If not, those carry should just get added to Jones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT