ADVERTISEMENT

What the hell happened to Kelly?

711employee

ND Fan
Jul 10, 2016
I thought he was a homerun hire at the time, Top 10 Coach.....Can't use the talent excuse because ND is losing to teams with way less talent.

I see no fire/emotion from your team, like they don't care.

So what's wrong?

So few coaches can win at a high level, each year, for a long time. Clearly Kelly isn't one of those elites coaches that can get over the top and keep it going. That's life. Looking forward to thr next regime, whoever they are.

Kelly was in over his head from day one. I never liked the hire, and I can not wait for the fire!
now, one of the " usual suspects " will come up with the usual Question: " who would I suggest replaces Kelly? " i have no idea, and I do not get paid to make that decision. If the administration does not have feelers out, that is just further proof just how far ND football is being flushed down the drain !

Kelly was in over his head from day one. I never liked the hire, and I can not wait for the fire!
now, one of the " usual suspects " will come up with the usual Question: " who would I suggest replaces Kelly? " i have no idea, and I do not get paid to make that decision. If the administration does not have feelers out, that is just further proof just how far ND football is being flushed down the drain !
Who else was ND supposed to hire 7 years ago? Kelly at that time was by and far the hottest up and coming coach on the market at that time. Plus all of us fans grew tired of NFL coaching/scheme that was "too complicated" for the players to grasp and wanted someone who knew how to recruit and develop players.

Coach 8 & 4 is a victim of the Peter Principal. His gimmicks on offense do not translate at this level. His in your face "instruction" does not work with highly recruited and applauded talent. And his inability to coach beyond his area of expertise, offensive play calling, really limited his ability to motivate and control the talent development. What will be more concerning is how Swarbrick manages this situation. I've always thought that at some point both Kelly and Swarbrick would meet, discuss the program's status and mutually decide it is time to move in another direction - for the benefit of both parties. Who initiates this, don't know. But if it continues, Swarbrick will have an important executive decision and it will require to reach beyond his comfort level and make a judgement that is for the benefit of the program, school and fan base. He will not enjoy this, but it comes with the responsibility of his job and the compensation package he receives. That is what will be interesting to watch. How and - if - Swarbrick is capable of making a distasteful decision - and with some urgency and definity.

I would love 8-4 right now . 8-9 wins and every few years in the mix for the playoff is not bad this day and age. BUT 3-6 and 3-8 over the last 11 in now very alarming. They lose any way possible ... even the f... in ref in the booth throws a flag on the 12 - man on the field ???? Imagine that happening to Lou Holtz lol . BK looks like a man that does not want to coach anyone AT ND. He does not make the right decisions in the game. Why not go for it on 4th and 4 from the 20??? what u got to lose ? your 3-5 ... you got WR's that they cant cover ... says it all about a loser coach.

Perfect storm. Just ask the MSU coach.

-Some poor hires by Kelly (Defense and Special teams)
-critical skills left early (CJ, Will, 2 linemen)
-Cruical suspensions (Max, Jones)
-No breaks going our way (tori in the end zone against tx, miss easy Fg against Duke, Kickoff returns called back, pics, blocked punt, Stanford pics). Although we finally got one against Miami at the 1.
-special team coach seems terrible based on the year. Lack of fundamentals.
-Losing is contagious.
-The line is not very good
-The RB's this year have no hops
-The receivers are young
-Need some experience

The defense handed the offense the game today. Played good enough. We go 3 and out due to a bad over throw and get a 12 men On special teams. You score on those 2 and that is a win.

Next year is BK's last if he is not top 10. He should be top 10 with the class and what returns. This year is all OTJT.

Oh, get a new special teams coach for next year please. Pathetic.

I thought he was a homerun hire at the time, Top 10 Coach.....Can't use the talent excuse because ND is losing to teams with way less talent.

I see no fire/emotion from your team, like they don't care.

So what's wrong?
never thought he was a home run hire just a decent coach hell, he lost his last bowl game at Cinci by a lot

He is a fraud Emperor with no clothes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT