ADVERTISEMENT

What made you an ND fan

Sitting in the north end zone in Norman, Oklahoma on Nov. 16, 1957. What a game. Took Bud 4 years to convert me.

Reactions: TimTerrific
Born into a Catholic Irish famiLy of football fans and ND fanatics. Started going to ND/USC games in LA at five along with Uncles and Aunts and cousins. In other words, indoctrinated at a very young age and we have continued the tradition with the next two generations. Love ND and all it stands for, and really pleased that Kelly has brought respectability back to the football program.

Reactions: TimTerrific
Born into a Catholic Irish famiLy of football fans and ND fanatics. Started going to ND/USC games in LA at five along with Uncles and Aunts and cousins. In other words, indoctrinated at a very young age and we have continued the tradition with the next two generations. Love ND and all it stands for, and really pleased that Kelly has brought respectability back to the football program.
And soon to be greatness.

I would have to say it was the exhortations of ,'perse',the man embodies all that ND is not. We both went to third rate colleges,can barely write a coherent sentence, and complain about everything.

My dad was a ND fan and naturally followed in his footsteps. Been a ND fan for over 55 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Twins1967
Dad played hockey for ND. Grew up living ND. Didn't attend ND because I received a full ride elsewhere.

Will always be a ND fan

Hmmm … first ND game I saw (on TV) was the 1957 ND - Okla game, when I was only 11. For some reason that I can't explain, I started to follow ND football ever since. Eventually I started to follow all ND sports … and when my daughter became a ND student, I really fell for the place.

I'm not a ND grad … I attended a different school because of my handicap and sign language interpreters "didn't exist" back in my college days.

Dad talked ND football all of the time. Came home from Mass in the early 60s and watched ND replays on TV (Lindsey Nelson), after listening to the games on the radio on Saturdays. Then there was the ND fight song; none better.

Born and raised Catholic from northwest Indiana, pretty easy decision for me

Father got me hooked; and then Watching the 71 team take down Texas after the horrible upset at USC made me a fanatic.

wanted to go to ND but the money was just not there and I just missed out on a scholarship that might have made it possible so I ended up going instate to Iowa.

In my heart I will always be Irish.

As a young boy I remember watching the Irish with my dad Hearing the fight song , and remembering ND beating the best week in and out . Playing the toughest schedule with a top grad rate. My dad would always say we had to go unbeaten . The media hated ND because of its religion based education and the fact that they did it the right way.Every Saturday in the fall we would watch ND come out the tunnel and I just never expected to lose . I still think to this day we were screwed in 93 and 89

As a young boy I remember watching the Irish with my dad Hearing the fight song , and remembering ND beating the best week in and out . Playing the toughest schedule with a top grad rate. My dad would always say we had to go unbeaten . The media hated ND because of its religion based education and the fact that they did it the right way.Every Saturday in the fall we would watch ND come out the tunnel and I just never expected to lose . I still think to this day we were screwed in 93 and 89

Please stop with this nonsense. The media does not, and did not, hate ND.

catholic faith, catholic grade school, catholic high school, only place to go. graduated in '63 best decision I ever made

The rest of the college football world would disagree with your Dad. As far as the last century is concerned, they are all convinced we were media darlings.

Irish-Catholic from birth, Catholic Elementary school, HS, then ND. Happy with all of it, wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
Dad was a 1956 graduate of Notre Dame and have been following ND ever since. First game was 1976 (I was 8 years old), ND vs Purdue. Vagas Ferguson was my first ND hero. Been to over 200 ND games. Became a ND usher nearly 20 years ago.

Please stop with this nonsense. The media does not, and did not, hate ND.
Hey board douche bag it's my recollection and my opinion not yours. It's no wonder people can't stand u here I didn't ask your opinion dick head

Hey board douche bag it's my recollection and my opinion not yours. It's no wonder people can't stand u here I didn't ask your opinion dick head

Your recollection is wrong. And your personal attack is both juvenile and unwarranted. And another well respected poster said virtually the same thing I did. Go get some anger management help.

Your recollection is wrong. And your personal attack is both juvenile and unwarranted. And another well respected poster said virtually the same thing I did. Go get some anger management help.
wow great response as always . No one but you can have an opinion.Go cry to wax that someone picked on you like you used to do

What made you decide they were your favorite college team?
The poverty of the Great Depression, Catholic religion, living in
A Neighborhood of Catholic immigrants, attending Catholic schools,
Reading the New York Sports pages , that wrote articles about the Four
Horsemen, the gamblers in the neighborhood, Who " Never Bet against
Joe Lewis, the Yankees, and Notre Dame.

Grew up in Mishawaka, WNDU broadcast all the games starting when Ara came, especially loved Ara, my favorite football coach.

Reactions: IrishBlooded
^^^^^Some don't wan't to admit there was a very strong anti-catholic bias in this country.^^^^^

There were many in the Indiana area especially. They rode their horses and wore white hoods. Like your favorite poster 78. That may explain his reluctance to see history as it happened. Not as he want's to remember it.

ndsmc is a grumpy old man who almost never has anything nice to say about anyone who may disagree with him, I would keep that in mind. The fact that he's so quick to use the "ignore" card also speaks volumes. I just let the old man be and move on to other posts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT