ADVERTISEMENT

What does ND do if Accexit occurs?

Quix0te

Irish Insider
Apr 10, 2018
What happens to if Clemson, FSU and Miami leave the ACC? The ACC minus those three schools will essentially be another G5 conference. Half of ND's schedule will be ACC cupcakes plus Navy.

So what's the plan if Accexit happens? Fewer ACC football games? Switch to Big East for Olympic sports?

Reactions: chaseball
What happens to if Clemson, FSU and Miami leave the ACC? The ACC minus those three schools will essentially be another G5 conference. Half of ND's schedule will be ACC cupcakes plus Navy.

So what's the plan if Accexit happens? Fewer ACC football games? Switch to Big East for Olympic sports?
The 'plan' is known only to the new AD. He came from NBC and was likely a key role player in that networks bidding on the BUG10 media deal.

Reactions: Kelso86
It sounds like Miami's happy there. It's Clemson, FSU and UNC that are making noise about leaving. Not sure what ND would do. But Swarbrick lobbied to invite Stanford, Cal and SMU - so he obviously wanted the ACC to survive. Bevaqua will probably be like-minded.

If I was ND, I'd remain in the ACC for all other sports, and renegotiate the number of football games from 5-6 down to 3-4, with Stanford as one annually, leaving 2-3 additional ACC games.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
What happens if/when the big boys decide to play 10 conference games?
We have a weaker-than-usual schedule this year, with 2 MAC teams and 2 service academies on the docket. And I don't see it getting any easier to put together a good schedule in the future, if the P2 went to his 10 conference games each.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Join the Big Ten I guess.
We all know that isn't going to happen. The purpose of my question is will ND stay with the same deal in an expanded and watered down ACC? It seems like the Irish Olympic sports would be better off in the Big East with zero football games dedicated and far easier travel logistics. They'd then have a truly independent football schedule.

We all know that isn't going to happen. The purpose of my question is will ND stay with the same deal in an expanded and watered down ACC? It seems like the Irish Olympic sports would be better off in the Big East with zero football games dedicated and far easier travel logistics. They'd then have a truly independent football schedule.

Like I said above, the fact that Swarbrick was one of the ADs lobbying to bring in Stanford, Cal and SMU shows that ND likely plans on staying with the ACC for the foreseeable future - even if a few of their heavyweights leave.

Notre Dame will still draw OOC games. Look at the A&M game this coming season. It's already being hyped. Night game, ESPN is hosting game day. It's about ratings and TV $$$$.
Sure, we have that game, but we also have 2 MAC teams and 2 service academies this year. So I'm a little disappointed in this year's schedule, personally. We shouldn't have any more than 2 mid-majors per year IMO.

Notre Dame will still draw OOC games. Look at the A&M game this coming season. It's already being hyped. Night game, ESPN is hosting game day. It's about ratings and TV $$$$.
👍

Sure, we have that game, but we also have 2 MAC teams and 2 service academies this year. So I'm a little disappointed in this year's schedule, personally. We shouldn't have any more than 2 mid-majors per year IMO.
Agree..
But hope our collective disappointment will dissipate when we make the playoffs, beat two top ten teams on the way to playing for the NC. 😅

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Agree..
But hope our collective disappointment will dissipate when we make the playoffs, beat two top ten teams on the way to playing for the NC. 😅
Agreed, but I think it may take 11-1 to guarantee us a spot, with this schedule. One spot's for a G5 team, so we probably need to finish in the top 11 to make it.

Like I said above, the fact that Swarbrick was one of the ADs lobbying to bring in Stanford, Cal and SMU shows that ND likely plans on staying with the ACC for the foreseeable future - even if a few of their heavyweights leave.
He may just have felt he owed a favor to the west coast schools, or want them to. There is not much point staying in the ACC if the best reasons for affiliation all leave.

Reactions: Quix0te
He may just have felt he owed a favor to the west coast schools, or want them to. There is not much point staying in the ACC if the best reasons for affiliation all leave.
Right, that's my point. The Big East has far better travel logistics, top basketball teams and zero required football games. Plus most of the schools are Catholic. Why stay in a watered down ACC where the top brands are desperately trying to get out?

Right, that's my point. The Big East has far better travel logistics, top basketball teams and zero required football games. Plus most of the schools are Catholic. Why stay in a watered down ACC where the top brands are desperately trying to get out?

Why do you keep pushing this point? Most ND alums and fans do not want to join any conference and most would very much dislike joining the Big 10. You want ND to join the Big 10. Fine, but you are fighting an uphill battle here. If the ACC should fold, ND will deal with it at that time.

Disagree. We might join the Big Ten someday IMO, if it gets to a P2 situation where you have to be in one of them to survive at the top level. But short of that, I think ND's happy in the ACC for the time being. And it's been a good home for our non-football sports, too.

Let me ask you this, then. Do you think ND would shut down football, or deemphasize it if joining the Big Ten, or some sort of super conference became the only way to win a championship, or qualify for the playoff? I ask because even the careless suggestion that ND might join the Big Ten, one of the two budding super conferences, on the occasion of their current home conference with which they enjoy pseudo conference affiliation, possibly dissolving under the weight of this impetus towards a shaking out in major CFB that will result in a new top tier that really won't have any accommodation for a so-called 'independent'..... and yet still the idea of joining a conference is anathema to you. Like some sort of junkie desperate to find a new hook-up when the cops bust up his previous drug den, and so has to hit the road and get a new arrangement going, until that one is eventually destroyed as well....

I guess for someone trapped in your predicament, joining the Big East would be like Shangri-la, however transient. And a guaranteed, uninterrupted heroin connection. Total independence again. Free to schedule all 12 games as you see fit and not have to be in a conference at all. And the soccer team gets to play against Villanova and whatnot. Pure bliss....

Why do you keep pushing this point? Most ND alums and fans do not want to join any conference and most would very much dislike joining the Big 10. You want ND to join the Big 10. Fine, but you are fighting an uphill battle here. If the ACC should fold, ND will deal with it at that time.
Can you read? I said nothing about ND joining the Big Ten and if you scroll up, I said the polar opposite: "We all know that isn't going to happen."

Can you read? I said nothing about ND joining the Big Ten and if you scroll up, I said the polar opposite: "We all know that isn't going to happen."
Sorry, I could not see what your post was in response to.

Just keep playing good football and getting good rstudent athletes and we will be just fine

Notre Dame is contractually obligated to play at least five games per season vs the ACC until the early 2030s I believe. So nothing happens. That contract/deal is turning out to be a complete and total dumpster fire for Notre Dame especially right now with all the transition going on in the sport and Notre Dame already contractually obligated to the worst p4 conference in football for another decade into the future

I know fans don't think about this but when you're playing half of your schedule against really bad competition it erodes the quality of your brand and in this college football business your brand is everything

Last edited:
Notre Dame is contractually obligated to play at least five games per season vs the ACC until the early 2030s I believe. So nothing happens. That contract/deal is turning out to be a complete and total dumpster fire for Notre Dame especially right now with all the transition going on in the sport and Notre Dame already contractually obligated to the worst p4 conference in football for another decade into the future

I know fans don't think about this but when you're playing half of your schedule against really bad competition it erodes the quality of your brand and in this college football business your brand is everything
The ACC deal has been really good for us and will continue to be. Our brand quality is extremely high and will continue to be. The ACC is a better conf than the b12 by the way

The ACC deal has been really good for us and will continue to be. Our brand quality is extremely high and will continue to be. The ACC is a better conf than the b12 by the way
If NDs brand quality was all that high they wouldn't be struggling so bad to secure the commitments of the top prospects in the country.

In fact the ACC has been completely dominated even by the big 12 (the next worst conference)

Last 5 years: ACC has a interconference record of 36-61 with a 37% win percentage to the BIG12s 38-31 with a 55% win percentage

source: https://topdan.com/college-football-conference-records/2023.html

Last edited:
The ACC deal was a genius move by Jack Swarbick.

Notre Dame Football retains independence, and the rest of the athletic department is associated with a top shelf conference.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The ACC deal was a genius move by Jack Swarbick.

Notre Dame Football retains independence, and the rest of the athletic department is associated with a top shelf conference.
And ND is now playing essentially in the minor league of big boy football ... it's just wonderful!

The teams in the big 10 and sec are going to be playing top tier competition week in and week out -- in ratings busters matchups that top-tier recruits love to watch and be apart of -- with huge national media attention while ND will be playing 60% of their schedule vs military academies and the stanfords, wake forests and virginias of the world lol

Last edited:
If NDs brand quality was all that high they wouldn't be struggling so bad to secure the commitments of the top prospects in the country.

In fact the ACC has been completely dominated even by the big 12 (the next worst conference)

Last 5 years: ACC has a interconference record of 36-61 with a 37% win percentage to the BIG12s 38-31 with a 55% win percentage

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

And ND is now playing essentially in the minor league of big boy football ... it's just wonderful!

The team's in the big 10 and sec are going to be playing top tier competition week in and week out in ratings busters matchups that top-tier recruits love to watch with huge national media attention while ND will be playing 60% of their schedule vs military academies and the wake forests and virginia's of the world lol

If you would look beyond the end of your nose, you would recognize that ND needs a home for its other sports. The ACC is a perfect fit. The problem is not that we play 5 ACC schools every year. The problem is that ND adds schools like Northern Illinois, Miami of Ohio, Army, etc., etc., etc. If ND beefed up the remainder of its schedule a bit, playing 5 ACC schools would not be a big deal.

The teams in the big 10 and sec are going to be playing top tier competition week in and week out -- in ratings busters matchups that top-tier recruits love to watch and be apart of -- with huge national media attention while ND will be playing 60% of their schedule vs military academies and the stanfords, wake forests and virginias of the world lol
And I was disappointed in this year's schedule, with 2 MAC teams and 2 service academies. It was originally supposed to be 2 MAC teams and Navy. But Miami (FL) cancelled on us at a late date, and the best Swarbrick could find to replace them was Army.

Now he did a good job playing up the history angle and having the game in Yankee Stadium and everything, but nevertheless, I'm hoping this type of schedule doesn't become too common in the future.

They aren't struggling. They are a top 10 recruiting program. They just got a new tv and apparel deal.

How many NCs does the ACC have in the past 15 years compared to the Big 12 and even the Big 10?

Do you want to do well in meaningless games or do you want to win a NC?

And I was disappointed in this year's schedule, with 2 MAC teams and 2 service academies. It was originally supposed to be 2 MAC teams and Navy. But Miami (FL) cancelled on us at a late date, and the best Swarbrick could find to replace them was Army.

Now he did a good job playing up the history angle and having the game in Yankee Stadium and everything, but nevertheless, I'm hoping this type of schedule doesn't become too common in the future.
The schedule have declined drastically since the start of the ACC deal. That entire conference minus like 1 or 2 schools simply hasn't been competitive. Tying our brand to that conference is not helping the brand at all. ND is being viewed by athletes in football like we view some mid ACC school "vanilla" "mid" "unremarkable" and you can tell by the type of prospects we are attracting in kind.

Put yourself in the shoes of the #1 prospect in the country trying to decide on what school is going to help elevate his status as a prospect and elevate his brand (because every major FBS school offers a top tier education)

Do you go to ND to play a bunch of nobodies in the ACC or do you go to the SEC and BIG 10 where the best competition, best coaches, biggest money, and biggest games on TV are going to be week in and week out?

I know im viewed as the trasher of ND football or whatever but how can I look the other way when I see such stupidity and naivety constantly taking place with my favorite football organization/team/school (whatever you want to call it these days) ? 🤔

Last edited:

There's nothing wrong with the schedule.

Be disappointed. I'm certainly not.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT