ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think about the media suitors for ND football rights

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
Given NBC Chief of Sports is now our new AD?

Seems a bit awkward, perhaps nepotism …. Or do we get a completely new media partner?

Do we package football at like $75-plus k. And add in other sports for a total $100k plus package kind of a ND sports channel?

Curious how this plays out

Last edited:
Jack isn't leaving right away. I'd assume he will sign the media rights and apparel deals before his official step down.

Personally I think getting him away from NBC makes it more likely for us to look outside of NBC, than when he was in place with obviously a close relationship to jack.

We're going to get a really good deal from the media and apparel side of things. Big money I expect.

I hope they put it to good use. Update the Gug, improve the training table, pay higher salary for assistant coaches, get top level analysts and increase the recruiting staff and budget

We're going to get a really good deal from the media and apparel side of things. Big money I expect.

I hope they put it to good use. Update the Gug, improve the training table, pay higher salary for assistant coaches, get top level analysts and increase the recruiting staff and budget
They should be able to do that with bookstore sales alone on gamedays.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86 and Golson5

What other positions did he hold ?
Is he not qualified in your opinion ?
Who would you have chosen ?

Seems a bit awkward, perhaps nepotism …. How so ?

Or do we get a completely new media partner? Doesn’t the current contract come up for renewal after the 2024 Season ? Won’t the contract be put out to bid at that time ?

Do we package football at like $75-plus k. And add in other sports for a total $100k plus package kind of a ND sports channel?

What other positions did he hold ?
Is he not qualified in your opinion ?
Who would you have chosen ?
He headed up PGA, then nbc sports. There may be another key role I’m not mentioning, not sure. So very qualified especially since tv is such a big part of sports and an AD job these days

I am not saying he’s not qualified. The contrary.

But coming from nbc and in the midst of our search for a new media contract, it seems a bit odd to me kind of nespotic. But I’m sure he will work thru it and it’s not a given that nbc will be the next partner

He headed up PGA, then nbc sports. There may be another key role I’m not mentioning, not sure. So very qualified especially since tv is such a big part of sports and an AD job these days

I am not saying he’s not qualified. The contrary.

But coming from nbc and in the midst of our search for a new media contract, it seems a bit odd to me kind of nespotic. But I’m sure he will work thru it and it’s not a given that nbc will be the next partner

I would imagine that knowing the inner workings of NBC Sports would be a significant advantage for ND

A really good deal from the media? So, a bump up from $18 million per year for football?

Seems a bit awkward, perhaps nepotism …. Or do we get a completely new media partner?

I think those "k's" are supposed to be "m's."

Reactions: theskibro
It is true. We're going to get paid
Why anyone sits and complains about Notre Dame Football and money always confuses me. $$$$$$ has been the least of this football program's concerns, or the university's concern, the last 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 years, and won't be a concern in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDinNJ and Golson5
Probably in the 55 to 65 million range
A lot of numbers have been tossed around for the Big and the SEC and for ND. At first glance, the range you suggest will be viewed as disappointing; and I hope we get a more accurate in depth apples to apples comparison whenever the deal becomes public. At its core, the question Becomes what is ND willing to pay for its independence, and at what cost point does it make it untenable to compete against these conference teams?

A lot of numbers have been tossed around for the Big and the SEC and for ND. At first glance, the range you suggest will be viewed as disappointing; and I hope we get a more accurate in depth apples to apples comparison whenever the deal becomes public. At its core, the question Becomes what is ND willing to pay for its independence, and at what cost point does it make it untenable to compete against these conference teams?
Notre Dame athletics does not need the tv revenue to be as high as other teams, they simply don't.

Sec teams for example have to use that money to build new facilities for all sports.... Notre Dame just fundraises and that money comes from alumni. It doesn't need to be a 1:1 ratio just in the ball park to keep contracts at the right level and fund the sports programs needs.

Reactions: sjb75
Notre Dame athletics does not need the tv revenue to be as high as other teams, they simply don't.

Sec teams for example have to use that money to build new facilities for all sports.... Notre Dame just fundraises and that money comes from alumni. It doesn't need to be a 1:1 ratio just in the ball park to keep contracts at the right level and fund the sports programs needs.

Agreed. Wasn’t suggesting a 1:1 ratio, but the size of the delta is important; and things like the tv contract plus a streaming contract plus unshared playoff revenue, etc… all need to be factored into any comparison. A $50M a year delta probably isn’t sustainable, while $10m a year probably is. The answer is likely somewhere in between, and I hope the apples to apples comparison will yield an answer closer to the $10m figure.

Agreed. Wasn’t suggesting a 1:1 ratio, but the size of the delta is important; and things like the tv contract plus a streaming contract plus unshared playoff revenue, etc… all need to be factored into any comparison. A $50M a year delta probably isn’t sustainable, while $10m a year probably is. The answer is likely somewhere in between, and I hope the apples to apples comparison will yield an answer closer to the $10m figure.
I hope the university can survive financially.

Not disappointing at all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT