ADVERTISEMENT

What Do You Define As The 'Modern' Era Of College Football?

Lou Somogyi

Senior Editor
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2004
Every time I turn around I recognize how much older I've become.

CBS Sports recently did a piece on five teams that have the best chance to win their "first" national title in the "modern era" of college football, with Notre Dame joining Georgia, Oregon, Penn State and Texas A&M in that category.

That's because CBS defined "modern" as starting in 1992 with the Bowl Coalition system, plus that was the first year of the SEC Playoff, and the harbinger of conference title play that eventually morphed into the College Football Playoff starting in 1994. (Since 1992, there have been only 14 national champions in those 28 seasons, led by Alabama's six.)

I had previously defined modern as 1964, the year college football permanently went to a system where players were separated into platoons on offense and defense, rather than having to play on both sides of the ball. For example, could you imagine Ian Book lining up at quarterback and also in the defensive backfield?

Certainly the game has evolved significantly in the 56 years hence. What would be your demarcation of "modern" football?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News