ADVERTISEMENT

What’s Holding Notre Dame Football Back From Becoming Elite Again?

Some of you old timers have a short selective memory or are just plain uninformed about the past. The administration de-emphazised football towards the end, and following the retirement of Leahy. ND president, John Cavanaugh, and his athletic right hand man, Father Hesburgh, immediately cut the number of football schollies. That brought some pretty lean football years and an unfair negative perception of Terry Brennan as HC. The idea was to showcase ND as an academic institution and not a football factory. Some of you act like this academic stuff is a new phenomenon. I wouldn't expect the young people to know this because little do they care about the past. But, the old timers should be well aware of ND football history. Stop the whining. It is what it is. Talk to former players and ask them what role academics should play with the football program.

Toby you realize leahy coached in the 50's and then retired. So that would be a different set of old guys in wheel chairs that you are pushing over a cliff. The first Notre Dame coach I am aware of as a child was Parsegian, i was in grade school when Notre Dame played Alabama. I heard from different posters there was a time that the Notre Dame Admin de-emphasized athletics but I was not aware other wise. I do not see any one acting like this is new earth shattering event at Notre Dame. I always thought Notre Dame was a terrific academic org. We knew that growing up as a kid going to Catholic school. Notre Dame was a school to aspire to.

The King of idiocy.

You have a problem with anyone smarter than you which is why you fight with over half the board ,,,, in my case ... I'm a lot smarter than you ..... I can see where in your eyes that makes me The King ...... :)

Reactions: chitown sot
for you and a lot of others sure. winning regardless of the circumstances is all some care about and thats fine. i have no control of the situation so however the powers that be choose to administrate the athletic programs is either fine by me or i move on if its not. i'm not going anywhere.

What circumstances? .... defends every garbage coach and stupid thing they do .... now trashing Lou's legacy ..... batting 1.000 ............... LOL!

You and I have clashed before. Yes I liked Ara, I went to the QB club in Chicago to hear Ara speak in 1964. I mentioned Lou because that is the last time ND was great. What the hell did you want me to do go from coach to coach to coach till I got to Lou. By the way, I watch the The the Alabama Notre dame Sugar bowl. game often.
I don't believe you were the person I was responding to.

Toby you realize leahy coached in the 50's and then retired. So that would be a different set of old guys in wheel chairs that you are pushing over a cliff. The first Notre Dame coach I am aware of as a child was Parsegian, i was in grade school when Notre Dame played Alabama. I heard from different posters there was a time that the Notre Dame Admin de-emphasized athletics but I was not aware other wise. I do not see any one acting like this is new earth shattering event at Notre Dame. I always thought Notre Dame was a terrific academic org. We knew that growing up as a kid going to Catholic school. Notre Dame was a school to aspire to.
I'm 65 and have been well aware of what happened post Leahy for years. The old guys should know Irish football history. This part of it was crucial and it took awhile for the program to recover.

You have a problem with anyone smarter than you which is why you fight with over half the board ,,,, in my case ... I'm a lot smarter than you ..... I can see where in your eyes that makes me The King ...... :)
You are the board nitwit. You aspire to be pikehead.

Nobody that counts at ND would share that opinion.

And the administration gives the football program plenty of leeway, and all the resources it could possibly want.
Then they are losers if they don't think having a national title is worth very slight baggage, especially compared to other programs.

I'm 65 and have been well aware of what happened post Leahy for years. The old guys should know Irish football history. This part of it was crucial and it took awhile for the program to recover.
Agreed. You don't have to be 80 years old to know what transpired when Hesburgh arrived, and the programmatic changes that were made.

Then they are losers if they don't think having a national title is worth very slight baggage, especially compared to other programs.
No they're not. If you choose winning regardless of the cost that's fine. Those who oppose that type of scenario are certainly not losers for subscribing to a specific standard. I applaud their stance.

Reactions: Pennick4
The King of idiocy.

Some people like the source of this op never let things go. That is why these arguments go on and on. it seems he has last word syndrome. If he let some of it go I think we would have a more peaceful board at times

Some people like the source of this op never let things go. That is why these arguments go on and on. it seems he has last word syndrome. If he let some of it go I think we would have a more peaceful board at times

Are you old and senile ... all the stuff you old angry dumb guys complain about ... you all do .... hypocrites

If you haven't figured it out yet ... this clown defends every single decision and move every coach makes 110% ad nauseum ..... no matter how stupid ... literally

If anyone is going to say Lou did things the wrong way ... are you kidding me??? .... anyone feel free to list what Lou did wrong

Lou won because he could coach ... had knowledge of the game .... could recruit ... and frankly wasn't an idiot

Lou never put a frosh QB in the game with under 2 minutes ... down by less than a FG ... in FG range .... with a solid kicker ..... and had the frosh throw a deep ball down the sideline .... INT .... loss .... flat out stupid

or tried to throw the ball 50 times in a hurricane .... literally .... against an inferior team .... flat out stupid

I remember Lou sending home his leading rusher (Tony Brooks) and leading receiver (Ricky Watters) the day before the USC game ... at USC .... which was last game of the season when both teams were ranked #1 and #2 .... not much bigger games than that ... and for being late to team meetings

Nd like every other school also has fans who don't know anything

Last edited:
I'm an old guy. 65 to be exact. You think I'm a stuffy old angry dumb guy and hypocrite?

Being old doesn't automatically make you angry dumb and a hypocrite .... with some posters it is grossly obvious .... they are here all the time ..... and they want to pick a fight and call stupid everyone who says anything remotely negative about any ND coach ..... true or not

I'd have to see your posts for a while before I could come to that conclusion

You should have a temperature of my posts as I have been here for years. Old people haven't always been old. They have experienced everything from Nam to Woodstock and all points in between. Some are cranky. Some aren't. Some are wise. Some haven't learned a damn thing in all these years. Much can be said about the younger crowd. Good and bad. Main thing is this. It's just an anonymous message board. Don't take anything serious about it.

Being old doesn't automatically make you angry dumb and a hypocrite .... with some posters it is grossly obvious .... they are here all the time ..... and they want to pick a fight and call stupid everyone who says anything remotely negative about any ND coach ..... true or not

I'd have to see your posts for a while before I could come to that conclusion
i

look in the mirror before you post.

You should have a temperature of my posts as I have been here for years. Old people haven't always been old. They have experienced everything from Nam to Woodstock and all points in between. Some are cranky. Some aren't. Some are wise. Some haven't learned a damn thing in all these years. Much can be said about the younger crowd. Good and bad. Main thing is this. It's just an anonymous message board. Don't take anything serious about it.

Agreed .... and I recognize your "handle" just not any specific posts.

You could've just said "I know you are but what am I?" ..... hypocrite .... like talking to a wall .... but wall is probably smarter
Nothing against zonairish pretty good poster, but I'm gonna start using that "a wall is probably smarter" line pretty often LOL

Reactions: Buguit
You could've just said "I know you are but what am I?" ..... hypocrite .... like talking to a wall .... but wall is probably smarter

Dude you cannot let anything go. Have fun. God Bless and move on

Dude you cannot let anything go. Have fun. God Bless and move on

Sorry just another thread of the same posse jumping all over people for saying anything negative about an ND coach/football .... physician heal thyself .... talk about moving on .... ???? ..... it doesn't get more hypocritical ...... sheesh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT