ADVERTISEMENT

What’s Holding Notre Dame Football Back From Becoming Elite Again?

You should have a temperature of my posts as I have been here for years. Old people haven't always been old. They have experienced everything from Nam to Woodstock and all points in between. Some are cranky. Some aren't. Some are wise. Some haven't learned a damn thing in all these years. Much can be said about the younger crowd. Good and bad. Main thing is this. It's just an anonymous message board. Don't take anything serious about it.

Toby..simple...as long as you agree that both the ND football and men's basketball coaches suck, that the ND AD blows, and the QB coach isn't worth a shit you will get along well with the moron. Disagree with him and you will be called dumb, old and angry and/or part of the clown show. There is a reason this jerk is the most hated person on this message board. And it's not close for second. But, he is good for the laughs, which is why I come here.

This is my take on the difficulties of Notre Dame being elite. Part of it is that ND is a very strong academic school. However, in my opinion the biggest problem is Notre Dame does not have a captive regional recruiting base. ND is forced to recruit nationally. This is because of geography and adjacency to other schools. In my opinion the states of Indiana and Michigan are better basketball states then football states. Don't know Illinois so well. Plus there are a lot of recruiting rivals competing for the same local recruits.

When one has to recruit nationally you have to compete against the local incumbent. Counter point the state of Ohio is a great football state. If OSU stumbles nationally, they can rely on the state of Ohio and still have a top15 team. Ohio State or a Georgia has a huge advantage in that any HS football player who is on those teams interest list will be on the short list. I see Michigan in the same situation.

Now I do not think it is impossible. I think a coach like Brian Kelly can get ND into the BCS with very good talent and scheme. It is just going to be harder then a OSU, Georgia, and of course Alabama that has a captive audience.

This is my take on the difficulties of Notre Dame being elite. Part of it is that ND is a very strong academic school. However, in my opinion the biggest problem is Notre Dame does not have a captive regional recruiting base. ND is forced to recruit nationally. This is because of geography and adjacency to other schools. In my opinion the states of Indiana and Michigan are better basketball states then football states. Don't know Illinois so well. Plus there are a lot of recruiting rivals competing for the same local recruits.

When one has to recruit nationally you have to compete against the local incumbent. Counter point the state of Ohio is a great football state. If OSU stumbles nationally, they can rely on the state of Ohio and still have a top15 team. Ohio State or a Georgia has a huge advantage in that any HS football player who is on those teams interest list will be on the short list. I see Michigan in the same situation.

Now I do not think it is impossible. I think a coach like Brian Kelly can get ND into the BCS with very good talent and scheme. It is just going to be harder then a OSU, Georgia, and of course Alabama that has a captive audience.
Fair. Some of it is self imposed however...

I think it's the academics at the school. I understand they are assigned tutors but the work load is still immense compared to the other powers. I also think the school is much harder compared to 1988 academically speaking to former alums. The kids are signing up for the 40 year decision which is admirable in this day and age.

I think it's the academics at the school. I understand they are assigned tutors but the work load is still immense compared to the other powers. I also think the school is much harder compared to 1988 academically speaking to former alums. The kids are signing up for the 40 year decision which is admirable in this day and age.
Getting admitted today is harder than it was in 1988, but I'm not sure that the schoolwork is any more difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT