ADVERTISEMENT

Well -- looks like it is official

To me personally this is last straw, couldn’t stand him as player, or coach(more so developer than Xs and Os), just when it looked like he figured out how to recruit he leaves for same position elsewhere….he would have to become an insanely good coach to welcome him back as a HC
Why so upset ? One would think you of all people would be celebrating.

Reactions: HDK and NDSMC78
It’s not about being super sad we lost Rees. It’s about a continuous pattern of losing our guys to the SEC. We are becoming less and less relevant. There was a time when it would’ve been unthinkable.

Sure, hire a guy who has openly stated he abhors recruiting. Genius.
Rees wasn’t exactly a hard recruiter until Freeman lit a fire. I doubt very many coaches love recruiting. Who would? It’s kissing the ass of little brats and their money monger good for nothing parents and uncles only to get hat table disses after wasting time away from your family. You just have to do it.

Reactions: tbonesays
Conor Mcgregor Sport GIF by UFC

Now let's be adults and wish him well in his development. In ten years he may be a head coaching candidate we want back.
10 years? The 2014 QB coach at ND became the head coach of the Green Bay Packers in 2019. Get real. TR will be a head coach at the elite D1 level or NFL in 3-4 years.

Right. Nick Saban hired Tommy Rees because he viewed Tommy's abilities as being average. Makes total sense.
Every coach makes mistakes. His DC that he fired was a bad hire

I'm not saying TR is not going to be good but just because Saban hired him that doesn't mean he's a great coach.

Bill Belichick hired 2 OCs this year, were terrible, then he fired them after 1 year

Reactions: Ndapolis1
Bummer. Wish him well and am looking forward to seeing who we can interest in the job but I’m not one who believes Rees was solely culpable for the offensive struggles in ‘22.

Right. Nick Saban hired Tommy Rees because he viewed Tommy's abilities as being average. Makes total sense.
Saban isn’t an offensive genius….Tommy’s stock is on the up finally but going to bama or staying isn’t moving any different

Every coach makes mistakes. His DC that he fired was a bad hire

I'm not saying TR is not going to be good but just because Saban hired him that doesn't mean he's a great coach.

Bill Belichick hired 2 OCs this year, were terrible, then he fired them after 1 year
O’Briens like 7th stint with the patriots

Rees at bama will be interesting because saban typically has left the offense alone by getting offensive minded head coaches struggling

Bummer. Wish him well and am looking forward to seeing who we can interest in the job but I’m not one who believes Rees was solely culpable for the offensive struggles in ‘22.
Yeah I’m good if he does well too, just think this should eliminate him back to nd unless there’s some long term plan with jack and this is somehow part of it

Best of luck to him. Honestly, he needed to move on to develop his skills. He's been under BK's shadow for 6 years, and the only school he's really coached at was ND. He needs to expand his exposure to different coaching styles and coaching philosophies. Personally I believe it was long overdue. Wish him nothing but the best except when it's against ND.

Reactions: tbonesays
Looking forward to an OC who gets Tyree touches in space and utilizes his talents the right way.
Agree but least of our worries….Estime with 20-25 Carries a game and Hartman accuracy with out talent ll use elite Ol….
Man o man

40 runs 35 passes a game

Yeah I’m good if he does well too, just think this should eliminate him back to nd unless there’s some long term plan with jack and this is somehow part of it
Ok I’m glad you brought this up and maybe it’s already been covered but wth changed in a years time?

Brian Kelly, his current boss, leaves for LSU and offers Rees a huge raise as his OC. Rees declines.

Alabama offers Rees a huge raise as his OC, Rees accepts.

There has to be more to the story.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Ok I’m glad you brought this up and maybe it’s already been covered but wth changed in a years time?

Brian Kelly, his current boss, leaves for LSU and offers Rees a huge raise as his OC. Rees declines.

Completely agree…. It may be as simple as he can’t handle being alum at nd and coaching at nd…. Or it may be major with freeman or jack not aligned with Rees

Who wouldn't want to work for, and learn from Saban?
Saban 7 championships
Kelly 0 championships

It's not even close. lol

Who wouldn't want to work for, and learn from Saban?
Saban 7 championships
Kelly 0 championships

It's not even close. lol
The Kelly hate is real, lol. Kelly is going to win a national title at LSU. I’m sorry but it’s going to happen. Also I can think of a few reasons why Saban would be tougher to work for. He does seem to have a huge turnover within his staff. Now that you mention it Kelly can be just as abrasive as Saban but my main point was that Rees played and coached under Brian Kelly. Remember?

The Kelly hate is real, lol. Kelly is going to win a national title at LSU. I’m sorry but it’s going to happen. Also I can think of a few reasons why Saban would be tougher to work for. He does seem to have a huge turnover within his staff. Now that you mention it Kelly can be just as abrasive as Saban but my main point was that Rees played and coached under Brian Kelly. Remember?
Wanna bet on that one??

Reactions: NDinNJ
What I don't get is... why did he leave for Bama, but not LSU?
Is this a serious question?
Guessing the majority of this board is thrilled.
We are ready. It seemed to me like we had to watch him start for 3 years. And then as soon as I wished him happy trails Tommy he was right back in as coach. We had a loooong period of mediocrity with only a few bright spot qb play in 2017 and 2020.

Same feeling as Kelly. No sane person would fire a 10 win coach but when he leaves you can hope for something better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT