ADVERTISEMENT

Watching The New AAF League

Martini, Morgan, Riggs, Turk, Folston, Daly, and Montelus.
A few others.

Fledgling?

Might be but I'm telling In this day where everything is a rush to get these kids ahead of the curve....eventually you'll see some players going straight here until they can play with the big teams on Sunday. There is the pay to play people keep insanely bitching about.

It's coming

A few others.

Fledgling?

Might be but I'm telling In this day where everything is a rush to get these kids ahead of the curve....eventually you'll see some players going straight here until they can play with the big teams on Sunday. There is the pay to play people keep insanely bitching about.

It's coming
just read on another irish board that a deal is being brought forward to get the Clemson QB in this league now until he is legal age to play in the nfl. does anybody see this totally changing recruiting as we see it now if this Trevor L deal goes through where he leaves school now

just read on another irish board that a deal is being brought forward to get the Clemson QB in this league now until he is legal age to play in the nfl. does anybody see this totally changing recruiting as we see it now if this Trevor L deal goes through where he leaves school now
I posted on this a while ago.

Tom Brady's agent is one of the founders of the AAF league....and he wants Lawrence really bad and right now.

I do think the possibility exists with either the AAF or even the new XFL for players to sign directly with them out of high school.

It won't be for everyone but some there is no doubt could compete right away.

Now more than ever is the pissing and moaning about kids getting money right away.

This could prove to start something in that direction.

Baseball, Hockey have had a farm system for years. Some kids do straight to the minor league club and get paid...some get paid very well considering it's based on a projection.

Others still skip the farm system and go to college...wait until later on to put their name in the draft hat.

Could football go this way? Possibly....i mean they rush these kids into training and early enrollment...camps...it has become a year round sport in a sense.

This could fall on its face too.

The ultimate point is this...if players want paid before the NFL it will be in this type of scenario. The NCAA will never do a pay to play.

Very bad idea for 18-22 year olds to be up against grown up men.
If theywant such a league, limit the age range to 18-23.
Such a league might have a chance for success and NFL support/subsidy.

Not true.

Not EVERY kid is a candidate...moreover if the older players haven't made it on a 43 man yet there's a reason why.

Some kids certainly could compete and thats up to the scouts tp figure out.

Minor league systems have been going on forever and don't have an age cap.

You think a left tackle could have success in that league out of high school? No.

He would be college bound.

A WR that runs under 4.4 wiyh a bigger frame....yes.
Coukd Trevor Lawrence have competed?

Tua? Murray?

Skill position players could compete.

Offensive and defensive line...not so much.

should be interesting going forward. some of the rules implemented are cause for thought. the XFL in its opening night had excellent ratings too but quickly fell off the map. we shall see.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

An 18 year old 350 lb DT vs a 35 year old 290 lb offensive guard isn't going to lead to any more injuries than we see in college or in the NFL.

AAF using same rules as NFL. They want to be the NFL minor league. XFL might be the place though. I've heard they are going to be open to anyone.

An 18 year old 350 lb DT vs a 35 year old 290 lb offensive guard isn't going to lead to any more injuries than we see in college or in the NFL.
I remember hearing someone on Sirius radio sometime ago I believe it was Bill Parcells saying the best college football team in the nation would lose mightily to the worse NFL team

For you young people. From 1934 to 1976, college all stars would play the NFL champs from the previous season at Soldier Field Chicago. It used to be a huge deal. The game took place in late summer. Long story short....NFL won 31, lost 9, and there were two ties.

Reactions: Riverside Irish
For you young people. From 1934 to 1976, college all stars would play the NFL champs from the previous season at Soldier Field Chicago. It used to be a huge deal. The game took place in late summer. Long story short....NFL won 31, lost 9, and there were two ties.

With the College All-Stars winning only one of the last 17 contests by a score of 20-17. I’m sure the NFL players took this game about as seriously as they currently take the ProBowl. As the game continued to evolve, the College All-Stars were simply no match for the NFL players. They were the College All-Stars too. The current college All-Stars would wipe the floor with the best College Team. The absolute worst NFL team is loaded with "non-bust" College All-Stars.

Last edited:
If I'm to understand your opinion. You think a 2018 college all star team would beat Clemson?

If I'm to understand your opinion. You think a 2018 college all star team would beat Clemson?

Absolutely without a doubt. You think Clemson has the best player at every position?

Just based on a couple of mock drafts (excluding Clemson players)

QB - Dwayne Haskins
RB - Josh Jacobs
WR - DK Metcalf
WR - N’keal Harry
WR - Kelvin Harmon
OT - Yodney Cajuste
OG - Cody Ford
C - Elgton Jenkins
OG - Jonah Williams
OT - Jawaan Taylor
TE - TJ Hockenson

DE - Nick Bosa
DT - Quinnen Williams
DT - Ed Oliver
DE - Josh Allen
LB1 - Devin White
LB2 - Mack Wilson
LB3 - Devin Bush
CB1 - Greedy Williams
CB2 - Deondre Baker
CB3 - Bryon Murphy
S - Nasir Adderlay
S - Deionte Thompson

Those are just names from a couple of mock drafts. The two deep gets even more incredible as there are basically no “drop-offs” at any position. Since it is a “College All-Star” team, I didn’t have to keep it to just draft eligible players. There are plenty of underclassman that could’ve been included if I wanted to.

You think Clemson beats this team?

Last edited:
Hypothetical, but, I think Clemson wins. I think Bama wins. There is a lot more to this than the best player at every position. Timing, cohesiveness, familiarity, coaching staff that knows every micro thing about their players, plus, damn good players. I don't think an all star team would have enough practice time to know each other and jell. You would have individual all stars alright, but, not necessarily a unit on the same wave length. Not to mention coming up with a game plan against a national champ team that have been together at least all season, if not longer.

Reactions: tbonesays
Hypothetical, but, I think Clemson wins. I think Bama wins. There is a lot more to this than the best player at every position. Timing, cohesiveness, familiarity, coaching staff that knows every micro thing about their players, plus, damn good players. I don't think an all star team would have enough practice time to know each other and jell. You would have individual all stars alright, but, not necessarily a unit on the same wave length. Not to mention coming up with a game plan against a national champ team that have been together at least all season, if not longer.

Just no. You’re absolutely wrong IMO. I don’t think it’s even close to be honest. Lawrence wouldn’t make it passed the 1st quarter against that DL. When those guys need a breather, the next guy in is just as good.

That's interesting, never heard that. In that day I could see it. Today, the NFL champs would never lose a game in that scenario.

If you think a 17 to 18 year old developing you man is ready to compete against grown men then that's nuts. Football is an entirely different world from any other sport except boxing and mix martial arts. You have hard nasty hitting all over the field on every play. Young developing bodies aren't ready for such constant pounding extreme violent hitting play after play. This young league league and the NFL could work together and change the face of football, but will they? Doubtful.

If you think a 17 to 18 year old developing you man is ready to compete against grown men then that's nuts. Football is an entirely different world from any other sport except boxing and mix martial arts. You have hard nasty hitting all over the field on every play. Young developing bodies aren't ready for such constant pounding extreme violent hitting play after play. This young league league and the NFL could work together and change the face of football, but will they? Doubtful.

There are a ton of 22 year olds who have "NFL bodies" playing in college every year. They play against 18 year olds every season.

If the NFL thinks someone has the body and the talent to play in the NFL, then they are ready. Someone imposing some arbitrary age restriction is hurting those few who are ready to play. The current policy makes as much sense as having a maximum age of 35.

There's a vast difference in an 18 year old body coming out of high school and a 22 to 30 year old male body in the NFL or other pro league. I suggest you think about it a little longer.

There's a vast difference in an 18 year old body coming out of high school and a 22 to 30 year old male body in the NFL or other pro league. I suggest you think about it a little longer.

There's a vast difference between the 22 year old in college and an 18 year old. But the 18 year olds who are ready get to play.

The NFL is not going to draft an 18 or 19 year old who is not physically ready to at least practice. There might be only 2 or 3 per year; and they may get put on practice squads. I believe your concern is misplaced.

That game was the worst of both worlds because the college all stars weren't really a team. I'd like to see an NFL ad hoc pro bowl team play a college team like Navy. For fun give the pro bowlers one week of 3 hour practices.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT