ADVERTISEMENT

W/Max - Irish will be better off - closer team - better chemistry

IrishBlessings

ND Expert
Jun 25, 2013
Max has had his ups and downs. A 5 star that was pretty much all hype. Has all the 5 star measurables in terms of size and speed, etc. - except that he does not have a work ethic and he does not have heart or common sense. His comments last season about his Manderin Chinese being harder to learn than the BVG defense should of sat his ass on the bench permanently.

Then he goes and pulls some B.S. right before the team is about to play in their biggest bowl game in some time and gets sent back to ND and was suspended in the bowl game.

He was gonna be a big f...ing headache again this season. He would of made some plays, but he would of not made plays as well. ND is way better off w/out him.

He has done BK and the rest of the team a huge favor. If anything, this whole issue will give the current group of players a better resolve. This will make the team more close knit. And Hopefully some strong leaders can emerge.

The Texas game is gonna be a close one even before these issues happened. And it will still be close - because the Texas athletes are very comparable to ours and Charlie Strong is a decent coach - who is on the hot seat. The long horns will be ready down in Texas and we will need to bring our A game to get the win. I see a very close game down there. Go Irish !

Reactions: greengael
Redfield was a big part of the defense and a projected star this season.

His loss is huge. There's no "gain" here. ND loses, Max loses, the fans lose.

Max has had his ups and downs. A 5 star that was pretty much all hype. Has all the 5 star measurables in terms of size and speed, etc. - except that he does not have a work ethic and he does not have heart or common sense. His comments last season about his Manderin Chinese being harder to learn than the BVG defense should of sat his ass on the bench permanently.

Then he goes and pulls some B.S. right before the team is about to play in their biggest bowl game in some time and gets sent back to ND and was suspended in the bowl game.

He was gonna be a big f...ing headache again this season. He would of made some plays, but he would of not made plays as well. ND is way better off w/out him.

He has done BK and the rest of the team a huge favor. If anything, this whole issue will give the current group of players a better resolve. This will make the team more close knit. And Hopefully some strong leaders can emerge.

The Texas game is gonna be a close one even before these issues happened. And it will still be close - because the Texas athletes are very comparable to ours and Charlie Strong is a decent coach - who is on the hot seat. The long horns will be ready down in Texas and we will need to bring our A game to get the win. I see a very close game down there. Go Irish !

"Biggest bowl game in some time"...... You should ban yourself.

Redfield was a big part of the defense and a projected star this season.

His loss is huge. There's no "gain" here. ND loses, Max loses, the fans lose.

Chase - he was a "borderline starter" which means he was very replaceable due to how inconsistent he has been for 3 seasons. 3 average seasons at best. Not too mention as I already did above - how he already let his teammates, coaches and fans down prior to the teams biggest football game since the NT game in 2012 by getting suspended.

Add all that up and you have a starter who is and was already on thin ice - meaning he is and was very replaceable. And the word is that the freshmen Studstill was already looking like he was a better player than Max anyways.

So YES - I see him now being gone as a very big positive for the team going forward - you take out a senior who had influence over younger players who had a weak attitude and is not even close to being a leader. And you now also get to play the better player at FS starting w/ the very first game vs. TEXAS. It is a win / win for ND. Better overall player at FS and most importantly now a much, much better locker room and team chemistry.

Why would a player who was so inconsistent that he couldn't stay on the field be projected to be a star?

Max is a 2 year starter, one of the best DBs on the team, and a projected 3rd rounder in next year's draft (could even play himself into a top 50 pick with a big year as most were expecting). There's no bright side here. We just lost one of the best players on the team because of a stupid mistake.

Reactions: cgvr
Max is a 2 year starter, one of the best DBs on the team, and a projected 3rd rounder in next year's draft (could even play himself into a top 50 pick with a big year as most were expecting). There's no bright side here. We just lost one of the best players on the team because of a stupid mistake.

I don't think losing a guy is ever a "win", but I think its the right choice sometimes.

When you say Max was a two year starter, does that account for the stretch last season when he lost his starting spot because he was playing like crap?

No, we did not. We lost a very inconsistent player, a guy who made some big plays and a guy who gave up a lot of big plays. There is a reason he lost his job as a starter.

3rd round pick in the next pathetic Kardashian spinoff. Captain Clueless.

I remember when Harrison Smith was over scrutinized because of inconsistent play early in his career as well. He's now one of the best safeties in the league, and a huge walking ND advertisement/ambassador.

Hey 5 star athletes with 50+ scholarship offers, don't come to ND. The fans won't appreciate you for choosing ND over nearly every program in the country. Also, if you don't materialize into a national superstar the moment you walk onto campus during your tenure (regardless of how many games you've played/how productive you've been), ND fans and media will take you to the woodshed for it.

Last edited:
I remember when Harrison Smith was over scrutinized because of inconsistent play early in his career as well.

Hey 5 star athletes with 50+ scholarship offers, don't come to ND. The fans won't appreciate you for choosing ND over nearly every program in the country. Also, if you don't materialize into a national superstar the moment you walk onto campus during your tenure (regardless of how many games you've played/how productive you've been), ND fans and media will take you to the woodshed for it.
Talk about mellow drama! Don't be rudiculous!! Most stood by Max for most of his career, he just doesn't seem to get it, or have the maturity to get it. I wish him well, but it's probably for the best that he's gone ... For both he and ND.

I remember when Harrison Smith was over scrutinized because of inconsistent play early in his career as well. He's now one of the best safeties in the league, and a huge walking ND advertisement/ambassador.

Similar comments can apply to good coaches; I do not recall you refraining from criticism of Kelly when not completely appropriate but I could be mistaken.

Max's problem wasn't that he didn't "materialize into a national superstar the moment he walked on to campus."

Max's problem is that he didn't play well the middle of his junior year, three years after he stepped on campus. Then he finished his junior season by getting sent home from a bowl game because he couldn't be bothered to show up on time. He had time to grow up and materialize.

ND fans may have big expectations, but fans of every program expect their players finish their junior season with fewer questions than they started with. Max left more questions. And he answered them with an arrest for drugs and guns.

Maybe he materializes into something in the NFL. That would be great. I wish him luck.

Depth is hurt but the better player may very well be playing now. IMO Max was a receiver that was put on defense because of the lack of depth there as a Freshman. The depth at safety has been so bad that BVG couldn't get him off his defense even if he wanted to. It's a bad loss for now but will get better with Elliot an now Love getting experience.

Bk recently stated that Max had put in the work and was performing at an elite level. Make no mistake, this was a loss. How big will depend on how well he is replaced. I hate it for Max.

If redfield was one of our best players, we were screwed this season. Harrison smith was a better player early on even though he was playing a position that he wasn't necessarily suited for. No comparison between him & redfield as far as production is concerned. I hope redfield gets his head on straight and turns into a productive player & person, but I'm not losing any sleep over his dismissal.

Bk recently stated that Max had put in the work and was performing at an elite level. Make no mistake, this was a loss. How big will depend on how well he is replaced. I hate it for Max.

I don't know whether or not he would be elite. I do know he and Butler brought experience to a thin part of the team and will be missed.

Every year, when we have another crisis like this our fans shout, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!" or "Next man in!" But when the injuries start to mount, the two will be missed.

Not that what either did is acceptable on any level.

Not at all sure whether Max would have started. Kelly said he played at an elite level this Spring, but Kelly has a history of talking up Max to inspire and motivate him. Have read several pieces saying Studstill has great football IQ and instincts and athleticism, and that it was a distinct possibility he would win the starting job. Regardless, losing Max hurts our depth at the position that was already thin. As for chemistry, I think Max had the potential to be disruptive if he lost the starting job, but this is pure conjecture. The only fact is we lost a player with lots of experience at a thin position, and that's not good, although I totally agree with the decision.

It'll hurt depth, but we'll have to move on. These freshman DBs better be able to play, because they'll be needed this year.

Reactions: HRC08
Love the memory of BK saying the safeties were glorified orange cones. That Brian Kelly!

Of course it's a loss. Even when he wasn't starting, Max was available to spell the starter for a play or two. He was good enough to start at ND and now he's not here. It's a loss!

I think what the OP is saying is that, like Aaron Lynch, sometimes taking that "loss" can turn into a positive due to the elimination of said player from the social make up of the team. I don't know. Was Max unliked by his teammates? I know Lynch wasn't missed by his teammates.

Last edited:
Love the memory of BK saying the safeties were glorified orange cones. That Brian Kelly!

Of course it's a loss. Even when he wasn't starting, Max was available to spell the starter for a play or two. He was good enough to start at ND and now he's not here. It's a loss!

I think what the OP is saying is that, like Aaron Lynch, sometimes taking that "loss" can turn into a positive due to the elimination of said player from the social make up of the team. I don't know. Was Max unliked by his teammates? I know Lynch wasn't missed by his teammates.

Good Post HRC08 - agree w/ what you say. I was a little harsh / fired up the day I wrote that - just getting tired of having ND having these type things happen each of the last 3 or 4 years now.

Hard to know if he was well liked or not in the Locker room - but, his leadership qualities from the outside looking in - seemed pretty weak - w/ how inconsistent he was as a player and then what happened at the bowl game.

But, you are right - he had both experience and talent - he would of been able to make some good plays and it gave us some depth at that position. Now we have to rely on some inexperienced FS's getting a lot of quality time.

I feel bad for the kid - I hope he is still able to graduate - sounds like he was on target to graduate or least be pretty close as I heard he was taking full class loads and then some.

Hopefully he learns form this and hopefully this is an eye opener for the kids on the team that you can't be a f....ing knucklehead. Have some fun - but keep you sh...t in order and in line.

Reactions: greengael and HRC08
Good Post HRC08 - agree w/ what you say. I was a little harsh / fired up the day I wrote that - just getting tired of having ND having these type things happen each of the last 3 or 4 years now.

Hard to know if he was well liked or not in the Locker room - but, his leadership qualities from the outside looking in - seemed pretty weak - w/ how inconsistent he was as a player and then what happened at the bowl game.

But, you are right - he had both experience and talent - he would of been able to make some good plays and it gave us some depth at that position. Now we have to rely on some inexperienced FS's getting a lot of quality time.

I feel bad for the kid - I hope he is still able to graduate - sounds like he was on target to graduate or least be pretty close as I heard he was taking full class loads and then some.

Hopefully he learns form this and hopefully this is an eye opener for the kids on the team that you can't be a f....ing knucklehead. Have some fun - but keep you sh...t in order and in line.

Was he booted from Notre Dame or "just" the football team? He only has himself to blame but I too hope that he is allowed to graduate. Hopefully his bad choices helps lead future players avoid doing the same. Kids though... the only constant is that they will make mistakes. Not that that is excuse enough for a situation like this.

Would you say the same thing if he had been a three-star? I'll bet the answer is a resounding NO.

You are comparing apples and lugnuts,when you compare Hayseed to the Irish Player formerly known as Max.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT