ADVERTISEMENT

Utah player offered $1 million from NIL collective to transfer & can Illinois disrupt the College Football Playoff?

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Disgusting. This is where it’s going. Right into the shitter.

Disgusting. This is where it’s going. Right into the shitter.
Interesting that people are so opposed to free market principles for players but coaches can hop skip and jump their way to prosperity. I wonder if the same people would limit themselves and turn down lucrative job offers?

Interesting that people are so opposed to free market principles for players but coaches can hop skip and jump their way to prosperity. I wonder if the same people would limit themselves and turn down lucrative job offers?
That might be a good argument if this was minor league pro football only. But it's supposed to be college athletics for student-athletes.

But it's also not good for competition. Pro leagues have rules for free agency signing, etc. The NCAA doesn't seem to have many rules for this NIL and transfer stuff right now. It's like the Wild West.

You can still support a free market and support regulation. In fact, the "free" market only exists due to a degree of regulation.

For example, there's not a single free market capitalist that I've ever met that supports: child labor, legalizing meth labs, unlimited pollution, discarding anti-trust laws, dropping the FDA, annihilating the minimum wage, eliminating fire codes, demolishing national parks.

Last edited:
Reactions: francade and mbd11
It's complete chaos....a free for all.

Moreover...are these NIL recipients paying all their expenses now? Tuition to soup to nuts.

The NFL would've collapsed sans a few teams if it were running it's enterprise like this.

Reactions: NDblitz
You can still support a free market and support regulation. In fact, the "free" market only exists due to a degree of regulation.

For example, there's not a single free market capitalist that I've ever met that supports: child labor, legalizing meth labs, unlimited pollution, discarding anti-trust laws, dropping the FDA, annihilating the minimum wage, eliminating fire codes, demolishing national parks.
This ^^^^^^

How is it a kid receiving ( we'll use ND) 350-400k for the duration of 4 years of goods and services in trade for athletic services not a free market?
Bo Bauer is probably approaching a cool half million of services and goods in trade for his football services.

Reactions: NDblitz
Nope. Not that at all.

Interesting that there are still restrictions on coaches like buyouts but you failed to mention that part.

That might be a good argument if this was minor league pro football only. But it's supposed to be college athletics for student-athletes.

But it's also not good for competition. Pro leagues have rules for free agency signing, etc. The NCAA doesn't seem to have many rules for this NIL and transfer stuff right now. It's like the Wild West.
Well, then they gotta figure out something. And I presume they're working on that as we speak, whoever 'they' are exactly in this situation. And then there can be more order and regularity to the proceedings and whatnot, which of course is not a bad thing at all.

But whatever they come up with, it's going to have include all these new freedoms, and we're not undoing them. And it's definitely going to be different and much more professionalized than in the past. There are compromises to be hit upon for sure, but more like around the edges. Players can transfer freely, and they can be paid freely. And that's definitely how it's going to stay.

Sorry, I didn't mean to gaslight you. This definitely is a divisive subject. And I really have a good feeling, and maybe I'm being totally naive, but that the powers that be are gonna handle this. Even if it's mainly just about the money and not being sued, and stuff like that.... and I think they want to move forward. And they're going to do it, and follow through. Even though probably the NCAA will fight it literally to death. And the conferences, and other influential quarters will push to embrace and codify these changes, and that might be without the NCAA's input...

This ^^^^^^

How is it a kid receiving ( we'll use ND) 350-400k for the duration of 4 years of goods and services in trade for athletic services not a free market?
Bo Bauer is probably approaching a cool half million of services and goods in trade for his football services.
Regulation is all I said. Dropping 9.5 million on Nico is where I see an issue with the future of the sport.

Regulation is all I said. Dropping 9.5 million on Nico is where I see an issue with the future of the sport.
Why? If it's a dollar or 10 mill...
WTF is the difference. They've declared open season and a free for all.

Anything in addition to the 250-400k they're able to get in goods and services and ....
Leaving college debt free ....

Is absurd.

These asshats just screamed do NOT give a FUUKKCC about your degree agd future. Score now and **** school.

No matter the NIL most of these players are never playing on Sunday.

Take your school of choice seriously and get that degree.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

So much for that...huh

Get a little cash today and work at Lowe's later. Right?

I agree. If a player can say I’m leaving the team mid/season and transfer for better $ or opportunities then a coach should be able to do the same. Since we are talking free market, then no players should get full scholarships. I mean scholarships we’re saying to the players if you come to my school you will get a free education and play football. With the NIL , scholarships should be eliminated. In this day and age of equity why should athletes be allowed to go to college for free ? That’s not fair to those less athletically gifted. Why should a player who can throw 80 yards and run a 4.4. 40 yet is borderline academically, get preferential treatment over a student who is exceptional academically?

Yes. Exactly. Since the value of that scholarship seems to be unimportant. You sign a one year deal. Free Market Baby! then you get your money. Oh and by the way you still need to go to school .So if You are a borderline guy, you now don't get any academic money. So the school gets the 40k from you for the cost of room board and tuition.

Reactions: tkirish
I like the idea of preserving the future and integrity college football.
NIL obliterates that.

The NFL needs to come to the aid here and start a farm system.

Instead of a practice squad have a farm team. Use a #1 pick on a high school QB and develop him the way you want.

It's a win all around. College can go back to being a true student athlete amateur sport and a lot will still get drafted anyways.

The NFL has had a free reign with college being their farm system without spending a dime.

Moreover if the NFL doesn't get proactive with this the next CBA will be a strike a no season.
Why? The point of contention will be high school kids getting 10 million dollars and the NFL...a professional league with players who's profession is playing in that league has a minimum salary 9.2 million less that a HS kid got who may never take a Sunday snap.

Big changes will be coming in one way or the other otherwise football on Saturday and Sunday will be a mess.
Something HAS to happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT