ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten.

They decided the number of conference games under the new alignment? When did that happen??

I assume it will be nine. You need nine conference games to play two teams in the opposing division per year. I actually think ten conference games are more likely than eight.

Ten? Many conferences like the Big currently play 9. Other like the SEC play eight. Never heard of ten. What conferences play that?

No, it wasn't at all. In our local 247 site published that discussion were taking place three months ago. There have also been public discussions about the possibility of going independent. LR was in on everything and it really silly to suggest he wasn't.
Before he got hired?

People were talking about the possibility right after Oklahoma announced an intention to join the SEC. I think that was the end of July. So before. The fact that discussions were actually taking place was announced after he was hired. Also, he was involved in the decision to move. I am not sure how he could be surprised by a decision he helped make.

This is a terrible move for USC. Besides money there's no other way to put it

The GOR in the ACC doesn’t expire until 2036 and also several schools who thought about leaving in the past were stopped by the politicians in those states. Several years ago when rumors surfaced that North Carolina might leave politicians stepped in to try to prevent it. They felt it would hurt the other North Carolina schools, same thing in Virginia. Norte Dame was courted by the B1G in the past but declined the courtship, it was said that ND would never join the B1G because of anti Catholic sentiment they received from the Big 10 years ago. All this being said anything can happen.

Not a very common view. Why is it terrible?

Because unless they get a protected schedule, those soft CA kids who are afraid to leave the state are not going to be very happy about running out of the locker room at halftime November 19th at 8 PM Eastern in Happy Valley and then the next week in East Lansing. Riley might want to find a OL or two and more than 1 DL per class.

Reactions: Golson5
Outside of USC its very common. Besides the money there is no positives.

The travel, the playing football in the northeast during the cold winter, the you were the number 1 program in your conference and the top dogs to go to a conference you will not be that, the going to a conference where the lines of scrimmage is so important and that is your weakness, throwing away years of tradition

Just a terrible decision

Reactions: TXNDFan88

The travel, the playing football in the northeast during the cold winter, the you were the number 1 program in your conference and the top dogs to go to a conference you will not be that, the going to a conference where the lines of scrimmage is so important and that is your weakness, throwing away years of tradition

Just a terrible decision
hmm... assuming we primarily play the western teams Chicago would be about a far as we normally go. That flight takes about 45 minutes longer than flying to Washington. Also, since we will play UCLA every year, one of our "away" games is fifty miles away in Pasadena. At home we will be playing teams that had to travel to us.

Depending on how the schedule is loaded we will probably play two cold weather games per year. The recruiting bonus will be huge, including lineman. The primary knock on SC has been weak coaching and weak league (no one watches the Pac-12 network.) Both of those are gone.

I don't understand how any supposed weakness in the team has impact two season from now. SC's tradition has little to do with a conference. The two games most important to fans are UCLA and ND, both of which we keep.

I don't see it, but I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Ten? Many conferences like the Big currently play 9. Other like the SEC play eight. Never heard of ten. What conferences play that?

With a huge conference, there will be pressure to play more conference games. Teams in the Big Ten West *want* to have teams like Penn State and Ohio State come and visit; just as teams in the East want visits from USC and Nebraska. With an eight game schedule, that would only happen once every 16 years per team. Nine conference games would mean once every 8 years. Ten conference games once every 5 or 6 years. Fewer cupcake OOC games means more media $$$$.

If both the Big Ten and SEC have over 16 teams, I could see them lobby for expanding the regular season to 13 games. Now that we are in the era of NIL, worrying about the length of the season is a thing of the past.

With a huge conference, there will be pressure to play more conference games. Teams in the Big Ten West *want* to have teams like Penn State and Ohio State come and visit; just as teams in the East want visits from USC and Nebraska. With an eight game schedule, that would only happen once every 16 years per team. Nine conference games would mean once every 8 years. Ten conference games once every 5 or 6 years. Fewer cupcake OOC games means more media $$$$.

If both the Big Ten and SEC have over 16 teams, I could see them lobby for expanding the regular season to 13 games. Now that we are in the era of NIL, worrying about the length of the season is a thing of the past.
Never heard of that. Teams in bigger strong conference want rest games and SOS. An extra conference game means an extra loss for half the teams. That's why the SEC plays 8. I really can't think of any league that plays ten. What would those be?

Never heard of that. Teams in bigger strong conference want rest games and SOS. An extra conference game means an extra loss for half the teams. That's why the SEC plays 8. I really can't think of any league that plays ten. What would those be?

The SEC isn't at 16 teams yet. And the SEC plays 8 because they are p*****s. That's why you see Bama playing The Citadel in mid-November and Nick Saban yelling at the student section over their leaving the game at halftime.

I don't think it will be ten. I just think ten is slightly more likely than eight.

Nebraska can count as one of your rest games...

hmm... assuming we primarily play the western teams Chicago would be about a far as we normally go. That flight takes about 45 minutes longer than flying to Washington. Also, since we will play UCLA every year, one of our "away" games is fifty miles away in Pasadena. At home we will be playing teams that had to travel to us.

Depending on how the schedule is loaded we will probably play two cold weather games per year. The recruiting bonus will be huge, including lineman. The primary knock on SC has been weak coaching and weak league (no one watches the Pac-12 network.) Both of those are gone.

I don't understand how any supposed weakness in the team has impact two season from now. SC's tradition has little to do with a conference. The two games most important to fans are UCLA and ND, both of which we keep.

I don't see it, but I appreciate you taking the time to explain.
Because you are not recruiting the lines well in 22, 23 and 24. That will be a huge impact when you make the move

I dont see the big recruiting bump

Those 2 cold games will be a nightmare and are you only going to play the west?

The SEC isn't at 16 teams yet. And the SEC plays 8 because they are p*****s. That's why you see Bama playing The Citadel in mid-November and Nick Saban yelling at the student section over their leaving the game at halftime.

I don't think it will be ten. I just think ten is slightly more likely than eight.

Nebraska can count as one of your rest games...
Well, it's all a matter of opinion, I just don't understand how something that has never happened (10 games) to something leagues currently play (8 games).

I'm curious what you think.

As a traditionalist, I think this is a terrible move. Don't think I need to go into detail there.

More money for facilities and maybe a new stadium is a big plus.

Traveling is a huge concern. Playing in the cold Midwestern weather will not be easy.

I'm very curious as to how this will affect recruits. On one hand I can see them enamored by playing for a west coast school and going to OSU and UM. On the other hand, I can see them being disappointed with the long travel and parents/fans having to take long trips as a big turn off. Time will tell...

I'm curious what you think.

As a traditionalist, I think this is a terrible move. Don't think I need to go into detail there.

More money for facilities and maybe a new stadium is a big plus.

Traveling is a huge concern. Playing in the cold Midwestern weather will not be easy.

I'm very curious as to how this will affect recruits. On one hand I can see them enamored by playing for a west coast school and going to OSU and UM. On the other hand, I can see them being disappointed with the long travel and parents/fans having to take long trips as a big turn off. Time will tell...
Don't think travel is an issue, Chicago in an g=hour and fifteen minute longer trip than Seatle. And try getting to Eugene Oregon.

Just a terrible decision
Other than the $$$$$$$$$, which is the primary reason this happened, it was indeed an awful decision. We agree.

And I hope Jack Swarbick tells the Big 10, to once again, stick it up their ass.

Time zone does make a different the extra hour plane ride does not. Fortunately teams we play will have to endure the other way.
I’m wondering if they just put the games at the 3 eastern time slot. So west coast sees it as an early game and eastern teams it’s just an afternoon game. Probably few 11-12 o clock games on the west coast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT