ADVERTISEMENT

Update on TX OL

When Strong took over, some thought the team was soft. Mack Brown was a great recruiter and it's hard for me to believe that their wasn't talent on campus when Strong arrived. Players left - where they really bad guys? The main problem for Texas is that they have not had a good QB since Colt McCoy (six years ago). They passed on RG III and Johnny Manziel. Regardless, Strong has been there long enough that this is his team w/o blame on what Brown left him. Texas doesn't have many commits for 2017. It appears they are going for broke to have an opportunity at uncommitted highly rated guys. We will see.

strange^ when Texas was recruiting vs ND a few sessions back the situation that Strong was in was described on this forum as a 'dumpster-fire'.

Let's hear from the UT fan and his comments about the team issues when Strong took over.

As I recall he generally agreed with my assessment that it took Strong well into his 2nd year and recruiting session before he started getting things pointed in the direction he wanted.

Perhaps you missed that exchange a few weeks back.

strange^ when Texas was recruiting vs ND a few sessions back the situation that Strong was in was described on this forum as a 'dumpster-fire'.

Let's hear from the UT fan and his comments about the team issues when Strong took over.

As I recall he generally agreed with my assessment that it took Strong well into his 2nd year and recruiting session before he started getting things pointed in the direction he wanted.

Perhaps you missed that exchange a few weeks back.
Your assessments are always clueless.

Reactions: NIN Irish

1. Austin Ex

For Texas
    UT's head coach is starting his 3rd season; which due to necessary cleaning house is really his 2nd season.
    UT's head coach has had to rebuild the personel on both the team and staff essentially from square 1.
    UT will be starting a true Fr. QB who will be behind an untested and inexperienced OL.
    UT will have a young talented but somewhat inexperienced defense.

There appears to be no single area of advantage to UT aside from home field.
    A Texas upset of ND would be a devastating shocker to start ND's season. This makes the opener a huge game!

Amazing that a Notre Dame fans gets this while most of our fans do not.

20 Austin Ex, Aug 9, 2016
    Like + Quote Reply

I just read Jeff Howe from Hornsports say that nobody knows the three Olinemans' status until Monday.
They have to be able to practice Monday to play on Sunday, & as of now there is no question they are injured. The question is are they going to hurt the team by playing or not?
At least one of the ankle injuries is considered serious & he is probably downgraded.

Either way according to the good people over at Hornsports & Texas Rivals they are very concerned about the OLine versus ND's Dline. They think Texas is hurting in the trenchs on both sides of the ball.
As of today I'm reading on my favorite pay site, the largest in the Rivals network (hint, hint), that all are likely to play. Shakelford will be worked back in this week, while the other two should be good to go when practice starts tomorrow. Shakelford's replacement has, by some accounts, outplayed him.

good to see you back; hope you hang around for game/post game discussions.
Do you have the OL depth chart for the game?

Also, regarding the C Strong housecleaning, how many players and staff has Strong 'cleansed' since has arrived? How would you classify the state of the team when he took over?

(excuse the pissing contest, that is our designated (officially dispensed for the purpose) ID censure to be certain no questions or unfavorable comments are made regarding his (?)); but free speech will win out)
Thank you, I'll definitely be back win or lose.

Strong has not released a depth chart yet. But off the top of my head this is what it should be:

LT Conner Williams (so)/ Jean Delance (fr)
LG Patrick Vahe (so) / Patrick Hudson (fr)
C Zach Shackelford (fr) / Jake McMillion (jr) (maybe switch this because Shakelford has been banged up)
RG Kent Perkins (sr) / Brandon Hodges (rs so)
RT Tristan Nickelson (jr) / Denzel Okafor (fr)

As you can see, tons of youth and very few with the benefit of a redshirt. Your OL depth chart is littered with experience and redshirts. It's where we want to be in a couple mopre years. I hope they give Strong the time to keep building.

There are very few seniors and juniors left on the team, so the housecleaning was an immense job. This will be a team dominated by sophomores and freshmen. 2017 is the year.

Reactions: perseverare
As of today I'm reading on my favorite pay site, the largest in the Rivals network (hint, hint), that all are likely to play. Shakelford will be worked back in this week, while the other two should be good to go when practice starts tomorrow. Shakelford's replacement has, by some accounts, outplayed him.
What a surprise! You could knock me over with a feather![smile]

Reactions: Austin Ex
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT