ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Lance/Mac Jones

savvyandsassier

All Star
Dec 16, 2013
So Trey Lance, who I guess is in the Cam Newton mold, goes third overall, and remarkably, and that is at least the word for it, a 2nd NDSU QB goes #1 overall, or in this case #3, but close enough. He probably would have gone #1 if not for TL, and would have carried a #1 overall grade in a more typical draft year. And the QB coach at NDSU definitely knows what he's doing. And he does seem like a nice guy and a cool dude.

And then you got Mac Jones, who did not end up going #3 overall, going to New England of all places, which is kind of cliched almost as that is who Mac Jones is totally compared with, that he's a Tom Brady QB.... He has only passable physical tools and pure arm talent, but like a young Brady, has the great intangibles and 'processing'....

So who you would rather have, the next Brady or the next Cam Newton?

Edit to add Wentz did not go #1 either, he went #2. I knew that wasn't right, but the point still stands....

So Trey Lance, who I guess is in the Cam Newton mold, goes third overall, and remarkably, and that is at least the word for it, a 2nd NDSU QB goes #1 overall, or in this case #3, but close enough. He probably would have gone #1 if not for TL, and would have carried a #1 overall grade in a more typical draft year. And the QB coach at NDSU definitely knows what he's doing. And he does seem like a nice guy and a cool dude.

And then you got Mac Jones, who did not end up going #3 overall, going to New England of all places, which is kind of cliched almost as that is who Mac Jones is totally compared with, that he's a Tom Brady QB.... He has only passable physical tools and pure arm talent, but like a young Brady, has the great intangibles and 'processing'....

Edit to add Wentz did not go #1 either, he went #2. I knew that wasn't right, but the point still stands....
Mac Jones is no Tom Brady. Perse could of had good stats at QB with the all around talent Alabama had. Mac will be an average QB at best in the NFL.
And Trey Lance is no Cam Newton. One of the reasons Trey was picked ahead of Mac was he was smarter. Add to his super brain his super skills, though raw, he will be a AllTimer. Cam was a punk. Trey is not.

Mac Jones is no Tom Brady. Perse could of had good stats at QB with the all around talent Alabama had. Mac will be an average QB at best in the NFL.
And Trey Lance is no Cam Newton. One of the reasons Trey was picked ahead of Mac was he was smarter. Add to his super brain his super skills, though raw, he will be a AllTimer. Cam was a punk. Trey is not.
I don't know about that at all. I'm pretty sure Mac Jones is considered to be a genius, and it's the main reason he went in the first round. Football IQ and academic IQ. So in that sense comparable to Tom Brady. As well as not real physically imposing.

And I think comparing Trey Lance to Cam is fine, and works. Trey Lance is less arrogant.

I don't know about that at all. I'm pretty sure Mac Jones is considered to be a genius, and it's the main reason he went in the first round. Football IQ and academic IQ. So in that sense comparable to Tom Brady. As well as not real physically imposing.

And I think comparing Trey Lance to Cam is fine, and works. Trey Lance is less arrogant.
Trey Lance is considered a football genius. Not so much with Cam. Cam was a better athlete.

Seriously... who would you rather have, next Brady or Newton? Dumbest question I’ve heard in a long time. Hmmm winning many Super Bowls or not.

now out of those two who will be better is a different question.

At this same point in their careers, Mac Jones is light years ahead of Tom Brady. Now, we can watch where it goes from here.
I thought Brady was going to be a good QB in the pros. I thought he had good mechanics and just looked like the prototypical NFL qb when I saw him play on tv a few times at Michigan. The only reason I remember this is because I wasn't surprised at all when he replaced Bledsoe. I asked my Dad (we were both ND and N.Y Giant fans) if he remembered me making that comment on Brady when we watched Tom play against the Irish.
I also remember my brother in law say Michael Jordan was over rated back when he got drafted. I always remind him of that even 37 years later.

Tom Brady may not have been drafted highly and I'm sure teams had their reasons for passing on him until the 6th round. But he was an accomplished college QB for sure. He definitely didn't look too bad beating ND.

I was definitely surprised he wasn't drafted higher at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT