ADVERTISEMENT

Transferring without sitting out

Heck

Why not a draft?

This is completely off subject, I saw an article concerning pro sports, that eliminated the draft, but instituted a hard salary cap teams were forbidden from going over, allowing teams to sign whoever they wanted. The idea is the best players would go for the teams which could pay the most money, but teams could only sign so many players to big deals.

I think sitting out one year it most cases is a fair way to do it. Especially when they allow graduates (which really are student athletes) to play right away. I think if you allow total freedom of movement it will ruin the game. Kids have rights but you can't punish the majority who will stay and play and get a great financial benefit to please a few who will switch at will for playing time. If that's the case start a pro league and do not sign on to College.

The NCAA is moving to allowing players to transfer without losing a year of eligibility. I some situations (coaching changes) it seems fair, in other situations it seems like this might cause a lot of roster turnover if players can simply switch teams without penalty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...e-to-transfer-eligibility-rules-113838655/Amp

It used to be that my gut reaction was that a guy that transferred ought to serve a penalty. But not anymore.

When the NCAA first allowed scholarships, they had to be 4 year irrevocable committments. Finally a school could consider a student's athletic ability in granting a scholarship, but if the student-athlete decided not to contiune in athletics the school was still stuck with its decision. In theory, the idea was that athletic ability was one of many things, like academic record and community service, that could be considered in granting scholarships. If a guy quit football but stayed in school, he stayed on scholarship. The school committed to him and his edcuation - not just his athletic ability. The overarching idea was that scholarships were about education and not sports enterprising. To compliment that, student-athletes that abandoned their agreements to accept an agreement at a different school had to sit out a year. In essence, there was a mutual 4 year commitment, and transfer rules were intended to help keep that commitment.

As education became more expensive, athletics become more profitable, and scholarhship limits were introduced, NCAA schools didn't like that deal. So under the rationale of "parity", schools - by rule - were prohibited from offering full 4 year committments via scholarship agreement (though some schools like Notre Dame informally honored them for four years). It was too much of a burden to require schools to commit a entire 4 year scholarhsip to a student that might decide not to participate in athletics. Instead, schools were resticted to offering one year renewable committments, and they could decide not to renew if a student-athlete no longer participated in athletics. (A few schools, like Notre Dame still treated scholarships as 4 year commttments). Since then, scholarship agreements - contracts - require more and more athletic quid-pro-quo. You violate a team rule, you're probably violating your scholarship agreement. And yet the expectation that a student-athlete would honor a committment for the duration of his paying career, or face a penalty, survived without change.

In short, it seems to me like the majority of the burnden of committment has pretty much been placed on the lap of the student-athlete. IMO, student-athletes shouldn't be the ones expected to guarantee the stability of an athletic program if the schools don't provide a corresponding guarantee.

Last edited:
IMO, anytime a players HC or coordinator leaves they should be allowed to transfer. If a new coach comes in and implements a scheme that doesn't fit you, you as a player are stuck especially if you are a Jr. or Sr.

If I'm a rush end and they bring in a new DC who plays a 3-4 my spot is gone and maybe my chance at the NFL. If coaches are free to change jobs kids should be too

IMO, anytime a players HC or coordinator leaves they should be allowed to transfer. If a new coach comes in and implements a scheme that doesn't fit you, you as a player are stuck especially if you are a Jr. or Sr.

If I'm a rush end and they bring in a new DC who plays a 3-4 my spot is gone and maybe my chance at the NFL. If coaches are free to change jobs kids should be too

Interesting thought. Aren't scholarships basically for one year and renewed each year? I could be wrong but I think that is correct. All of this would probably work in ND's favor more than most schools. I believe the school may play more of a part in their decision than many other schools due to the perceived value of the degree. Just an assumption on my part. Of course I wear rose colored glasses.

I think this hurts the game. A senior who has waited patiently to contribute may have his playing time cut down because the coach may feel pressure to play underclassmen who are threatening to transfer. It would also encourage the constant recruiting of athletes from HS to freshman thru junior years. I think young people need more focus and less distraction. If your coach leaves and you are not happy then sit out a year and focus on studies. Cant hurt.

Agree 100 percent.

I know the adage is that you are committing to a school and not a coach, but realistically, we know that is rarely the case.

You are committing to the guys who sold you on the program. When they leave, a big part of why you are here in the first place may also go away.

College sports is a big money business, but it is also a relationship business. You can't hose the kid by giving his coach a free pass to do whatever he likes, while holding the student-athlete himself hostage.

Lifting the one Year sit rule has the likelihood of turning college sports into the wild Wild West for college sports. It would be like free agency in pro basketball where the players that emerge as the best want to play for a championship, and switch teams to maximize the opportunity of doing so. Do we really want a young man who has developed into an elite OT for say Boston College as an example, to be able to transfer to Alabama his senior year in hopes of playing for the NC? This helps the elite teams at the expense of everyone else, and if we think rule violations take place now with financial inducements for high school recruits, just imagine how dirty the programs will be when bidding for a proven college star. I can see the appeal of lifting the sit rule whenever the HC changes as new HCs routinely bring in entire new staff, etc... but even this has unintended consequences like making it damn near impossible to letting a HC go for fear of the two or three year damage it could do to your program.

Reactions: irish4life888
Will coaches be able to recruit guys down the depth chart on other elite teams?

Lifting the one Year sit rule has the likelihood of turning college sports into the wild Wild West for college sports. It would be like free agency in pro basketball where the players that emerge as the best want to play for a championship, and switch teams to maximize the opportunity of doing so. Do we really want a young man who has developed into an elite OT for say Boston College as an example, to be able to transfer to Alabama his senior year in hopes of playing for the NC? This helps the elite teams at the expense of everyone else, and if we think rule violations take place now with financial inducements for high school recruits, just imagine how dirty the programs will be when bidding for a proven college star. I can see the appeal of lifting the sit rule whenever the HC changes as new HCs routinely bring in entire new staff, etc... but even this has unintended consequences like making it damn near impossible to letting a HC go for fear of the two or three year damage it could do to your program.

All valid concerns. I've gone back on forth on it. But IMO, the way to deal with corrupt financial inducements is to do what the NCAA did with USC, and to do it consistently when they discover violations. But look at the subsequent tOSU scandal. Tatoo laden Tyrelle Pryor and others accepted illegal benefits, but didn't lose an entire season of eligibility. Instead they only had to serve a five game suspension, which was deferred to allow them in the friggin Sugar Bowl. But a guy in good academic standing tranfers, and he loses an entire year. Seems like a transfer is treated like a more serious offence than accepting benefits.

I think some of the transfer movement could be managed if a school had to count a transferring athlete as an initial offer and placing limits on the number of transfers that can be accepted in any season. When Penn State got sanctioned by the NCAA, they opened the doors for every single player to transfer without penalty or limitation and released all of their incoming recruits from their letters of intent. At the time it was about as bad of situation at a program players could face. The NCAA did pretty much everything they could to creating a feeding frenzy and gave opposing coaches the green light to initiate contact with Penn State's players, and Penn State came out just fine.

I think changing the rule will create more transfers, but I don't think it would be chaos. The most competitive programs have full rosters. Many are oversigned. IMO, scholarship limitations and rules that prohibit opposing coaches from initiating contact with enrolled players serve as the biggest limitation on transfers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57Patrick
They are going to have to tie in the students GPA and credit hours before transferring without sitting out. No way they should be allowed to just transfer and play.

The NCAA should make head coaches also sit out a year of college coaching if they are going to break there contract before it's up.

They are going to have to tie in the students GPA and credit hours before transferring without sitting out. No way they should be allowed to just transfer and play.

The NCAA should make head coaches also sit out a year of college coaching if they are going to break there contract before it's up.
Schools would rather have the buyouts in place than have a coach sit out.

All valid concerns. I've gone back on forth on it. But IMO, the way to deal with corrupt financial inducements is to do what the NCAA did with USC, and to do it consistently when they discover violations. But look at the subsequent tOSU scandal. Tatoo laden Tyrelle Pryor and others accepted illegal benefits, but didn't lose an entire season of eligibility. Instead they only had to serve a five game suspension, which was deferred to allow them in the friggin Sugar Bowl. But a guy in good academic standing tranfers, and he loses an entire year. Seems like a transfer is treated like a more serious offence than accepting benefits.

I think some of the transfer movement could be managed if a school had to count a transferring athlete as an initial offer and placing limits on the number of transfers that can be accepted in any season. When Penn State got sanctioned by the NCAA, they opened the doors for every single player to transfer without penalty or limitation and released all of their incoming recruits from their letters of intent. At the time it was about as bad of situation at a program players could face. The NCAA did pretty much everything they could to creating a feeding frenzy and gave opposing coaches the green light to initiate contact with Penn State's players, and Penn State came out just fine.

I think changing the rule will create more transfers, but I don't think it would be chaos. The most competitive programs have full rosters. Many are oversigned. IMO, scholarship limitations and rules that prohibit opposing coaches from initiating contact with enrolled players serve as the biggest limitation on transfers.
Good points as well. I would be more supportive if all athletic scholarships were for four years. Am I correct in believing that many programs still offer four one year scholarships, which gives them the flexibility to greyshirt? That said, I just prefer the current system. As a fan, like watching a player develop over his collegiate career with one team, and I like the team and fans being rewarded by that development. Losing Coney to the NFL this year would have sucked, but at least we can all understand the financial incentive and possibly the family needs, etc... losing a Coney to Alabama or Ohio St or ..... some other elite team more likely to play for the NC for his senior season would have really soured me on college football.

Interesting thought. Aren't scholarships basically for one year and renewed each year? I could be wrong but I think that is correct. All of this would probably work in ND's favor more than most schools. I believe the school may play more of a part in their decision than many other schools due to the perceived value of the degree. Just an assumption on my part. Of course I wear rose colored glasses.
My understanding is that scholarships, while annual and renewal at most schools, but not ND.

Good points as well. I would be more supportive if all athletic scholarships were for four years. Am I correct in believing that many programs still offer four one year scholarships, which gives them the flexibility to greyshirt?
To an extent. A 2012 rule change permits multiyear scholarships (anywhers from 2-5 years) but doesn't require them, so schools can still dish them out one year at a time. But multiyear scholarships can be a bit misleading, because they can still be canceled for a variety of reasons. There are some coaches that are pretty vocal that there's no meaningful difference between the two, but those coaches are from programs that don't hand out very many multiyear scholarships. Kinda makes you wonder, if there's no difference, why would they be so stingy with them.

In an interesting bit of trivia, the 2012 rule change came about right after attorneys from the DOJ's antritrust division started seriously scrutinizing the rationale behind the NCAA's scholarship rules and demanding an explanation of how the ban on multiyear scholarships furthered any legitimate educational purpose. I think the NCAA faces a similar problem with articulating an educational justification for the transfer penalty on student-athletes with good academic records. I don't think the NCAA and its schools want to create a free agency environment, but they really really don't want to pay taxes on sports revenue or pay student-athletes.

If the head coach or a players position coach leaves the player should be able to transfer to any school except the one where the coach went.

The head coach only, school under some sort of penalty or grad transfer seem like a cut and dry way of allowing immediate playing time with out going over the edge.

Easy solution. You have to stay for three years. Be in good academic standing and then you can transfer without penalty. Before that you sit. That way if you are buried on the depth chart you can still play somewhere for 2 years.

It was unique. They had a bunch of legacies and really held it together. Many schools would not have fielded a team. Baylor went in the tank and did not even have sanctions.

Will coaches be able to recruit guys down the depth chart on other elite teams?
Not down the depth chart. Urbie will not quit recruiting Jurko the entire time. Whenever he needs a new QB, LB, OT, CB, S or DL, he just comes and gets yours. Same with Saban et al the SEC. Jimbo will just keep offering until his price meets the required rate of the kid or even more-so, mom and dad. This doesn't even address unintended consequences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT