ADVERTISEMENT

TR OC

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Huge fan, wish he stayed. But did you ever think he just out coached himself?

So many games I replay and things are rolling and then we change personnel to like Tyree or we move outside when inside is killing them.

I get change and unpredictable, but would like to have seen success stopped by them and not us.

Maybe the players didn’t execute and it was not him but didn’t always seem to have that “feel”.

I’m not sure this OC is the answer. Can’t believe we couldn’t land “the” guy.

Would love to see a future future HC in there.

Tommy is a very good OC and will be successful at Bama and will most likely be calling plays on Sundays

Agee completely, but watching the replay there was something strange about the 3 back system and the “grind”. Could just be the personnel.

I’m really curious to see our “bargain” OC.

So many games I replay and things are rolling and then we change personnel to like Tyree or we move outside when inside is killing them.

I get change and unpredictable, but would like to have seen success stopped by them and not us.

Maybe the players didn’t execute and it was not him but didn’t always seem to have that “feel”.

I liked him at ND both as QB and coach, glad he stuck around when Kelly left and glad he’s gone now … he needs to work for some other people and he wasn’t going to learn a lot from Marcus who himself is a new HC … he has a lot of areas he needs to continue to develop beyond playcalling … he has not demonstrated an ability to develop players especially QBs - that would continue to be a recruiting hurdle at ND. Bama is a good situation for him.

I liked him at ND both as QB and coach, glad he stuck around when Kelly left and glad he’s gone now … he needs to work for some other people and he wasn’t going to learn a lot from Marcus who himself is a new HC … he has a lot of areas he needs to continue to develop beyond playcalling … he has not demonstrated an ability to develop players especially QBs - that would continue to be a recruiting hurdle at ND. Bama is a good situation for him.
3-Star Ian Book was developed by Tommy Rees into a 40 start career at Notre Dame, a round 4 NFL draft choice, and onto an NFL roster.

3-Star Ian Book was developed by Tommy Rees into a 40 start career at Notre Dame, a round 4 NFL draft choice, and onto an NFL roster.
Funny how Ian Book is consistently overlooked. IB was an excellent QB for us, and Rees deserves alot of credit

Agee completely, but watching the replay there was something strange about the 3 back system and the “grind”. Could just be the personnel.

I’m really curious to see our “bargain” OC.
I think there was a rhyme and reason as to why he rotated three players. I think he knew Estime was the best but sort of wanted to wear down the defense with Diggs. There may be another reason but it would be purely speculation on my part.

With regard to Tyree, maybe keep the defense off balance by running him up the middle. If I recall, Tyree had the longest run against USC (with the help of a bad hold).

Also, maybe there were times in which the offense was expecting the ball carrier to have a big cut back lane. So put the quicker guy back there. If you have the feeling that the defense is going to respond in a particular way against a particular backfield action, maybe tell the back to be ready for a sharp, quick cutback if you see this.

Nice to see you back on here. I enjoy your posts.

Reactions: ftnfan62
I think there was a rhyme and reason as to why he rotated three players. I think he knew Estime was the best but sort of wanted to wear down the defense with Diggs. There may be another reason but it would be purely speculation on my part.

With regard to Tyree, maybe keep the defense off balance by running him up the middle. If I recall, Tyree had the longest run against USC (with the help of a bad hold).

Also, maybe there were times in which the offense was expecting the ball carrier to have a big cut back lane. So put the quicker guy back there. If you have the feeling that the defense is going to respond in a particular way against a particular backfield action, maybe tell the back to be ready for a sharp, quick cutback if you see this.

Deland like every position coach determines rotations. Of course he works in conjunction with the OC. This belief that the OC makes those calls is just wrong.

Glad to be back. Has some strange personal tragedies with family and friends. Has to get through a few rough times but back and ready to post!!

I just can’t wait to see Hartman and this defense we bring back. Brutal schedule but 2 of 3 are at our house.

Feeling something special.

Book was a really good but not elite college QB and he definitely maximized his potential at ND. I can’t say he improved that much from 2018 to 2020. As much as I love Book I would just love to have a Trevor Lawrence or a Tua or a Kyler Murray and I just don’t see those guys putting their NFL futures in the hands of Tommy Rees circa 2022 at ND. The move to Bama was a good way for him to further develop and to legitimize himself to be headed towards a shot at HC role like Lincoln Riley. I don’t seem him as someone like offensive guru and QB whisperer Norm Chow. All the more reason he should go learn from Saban.

Book was a really good but not elite college QB and he definitely maximized his potential at ND. I can’t say he improved that much from 2018 to 2020. As much as I love Book I would just love to have a Trevor Lawrence or a Tua or a Kyler Murray and I just don’t see those guys putting their NFL futures in the hands of Tommy Rees circa 2022 at ND. The move to Bama was a good way for him to further develop and to legitimize himself to be headed towards a shot at HC role like Lincoln Riley. I don’t seem him as someone like offensive guru and QB whisperer Norm Chow. All the more reason he should go learn from Saban.
CJ Carr put his "NFL future...." in the hands of Tommy Rees.

Google his initial interview after his verbal commitment.........and then listen to why he chose Notre Dame 14 months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorich 88
CJ Carr did.

Google his initial interview why he chose Notre Dame.
I hope CJ Carr ends up being as good as Trevor Lawrence … as a high school recruit he’s not at that elite level … and he clearly didn’t come to play for Tommy if he signs with ND minus TR.

I’m not hating in TR … he’s played and coached under the same guy and then has a few years as an OC where he basically inherited Ian Book while Kelly looked over his shoulder, then a 5th year in Jack Coan, bet on Buchner (fair enough) then had to scramble to get Pyne serviceable. He has no record developing elite QBs. His next great one will be his first one.

I hope CJ Carr ends up being as good as Trevor Lawrence … as a high school recruit he’s not at that elite level … and he clearly didn’t come to play for Tommy if he signs with ND minus TR.

I’m not hating in TR … he’s played and coached under the same guy and then has a few years as an OC where he basically inherited Ian Book while Kelly looked over his shoulder, then a 5th year in Jack Coan, bet on Buchner (fair enough) then had to scramble to get Pyne serviceable. He has no record developing elite QBs. His next great one will be his first one.
When you are 30 and you have been in CFB as a QB coach or an OC for a grand total of 6 seasons, and an OC for only 3 seasons, asking and demanding a "record developing elite QB's..." is a bit over the top.

The second half of the Navy game. I’ve wondered if Rees and Freeman had decided to try to pass against the Navy Cover 0 and blitz/stunt strategy as a way of practice.

It may have not been a sound idea (if it was indeed the case) because you don’t want to get your QB hurt. However, I have to believe that these coaches understand the stunts that are going to be used by Navy, in particular against the Duo play.

It was my own private prediction, but I had a decent guess of what the first formation and play call would he against BC the following week.

So if ND was indeed trying to practice against Navy’s Cover 0, I do think that was more of a head coach decision rather than Rees.

I bring up Navy because other people have.

When you are 30 and you have been in CFB as a QB coach or an OC for a grand total of 6 seasons, and an OC for only 3 seasons, asking and demanding a "record developing elite QB's..." is a bit over the top.
Agree that’s exactly my point. The guy is young and played for and then coached under the very watchful eye of one coach. Why would the next Trevor Lawrence bet on that when he can bet on Lincoln Riley or another proven QB developer. In the end it was too big a gamble for Dante Moore… Rees made a great career move to work under another coach and another system and one with a giant safety net. To pretend Rees is a finished product is ignorant. He’s a ball of potential … some kernels in the pan pop and some don’t.

Agree that’s exactly my point. The guy is young and played for and then coached under the very watchful eye of one coach. Why would the next Trevor Lawrence bet on that when he can bet on Lincoln Riley or another proven QB developer. In the end it was too big a gamble for Dante Moore… Rees made a great career move to work under another coach and another system and one with a giant safety net. To pretend Rees is a finished product is ignorant. He’s a ball of potential … some kernels in the pan pop and some don’t.
Tommy Rees recruited CJ Carr. It wasn't a "gamble..." 14 months ago for CJ Carr.

Or is CJ Carr, who impressed big at Elite 11, not up to your standards?

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Tommy Rees recruited CJ Carr. It wasn't a "gamble..." 14 months ago for CJ Carr.

Or is CJ Carr, who impressed big at Elite 11, not up to your standards?
Cj Carr the recruit is not Trevor Lawrence the recruit. I don’t set the standards. I’m very happy CJ Carr is verbally committed to ND and remains so after the coaching change. I’ll be even happier if he develops into the top QB on college football. Yes it was a gamble for CJ and he is great recruit for ND. You are a hard guy to have a discussion with where we are most likely in agreement on the majority of points … something about this format that makes even reasonable people argumentative whether there’s an argument to be had or not. To be honest I’ve lost the plot here … Rees is gone, good move for him, he’s a promising young coach, creative play caller and he’s just not known to be the QB whisperer … that’s it for me. Go Irish.

Cj Carr the recruit is not Trevor Lawrence the recruit. I don’t set the standards. I’m very happy CJ Carr is verbally committed to ND and remains so after the coaching change. I’ll be even happier if he develops into the top QB on college football. Yes it was a gamble for CJ and he is great recruit for ND. You are a hard guy to have a discussion with where we are most likely in agreement on the majority of points … something about this format that makes even reasonable people argumentative whether there’s an argument to be had or not. To be honest I’ve lost the plot here … Rees is gone, good move for him, he’s a promising young coach, creative play caller and he’s just not known to be the QB whisperer … that’s it for me. Go Irish.
So the QB recruit needs to be a Trevor Lawrence; or, you're not satisfied with the OC. Be certain to criticize Gerad Parker when the 2025 QB is not a Trevor Lawrence.

The second half of the Navy game. I’ve wondered if Rees and Freeman had decided to try to pass against the Navy Cover 0 and blitz/stunt strategy as a way of practice.

It may have not been a sound idea (if it was indeed the case) because you don’t want to get your QB hurt. However, I have to believe that these coaches understand the stunts that are going to be used by Navy, in particular against the Duo play.

It was my own private prediction, but I had a decent guess of what the first formation and play call would he against BC the following week.

So if ND was indeed trying to practice against Navy’s Cover 0, I do think that was more of a head coach decision rather than Rees.

I bring up Navy because other people have.

I don't see MF getting too involved in the offense, I could be completely wrong. I do remember several moments where you could see him mouth "just run the damn ball". I think one was just before halftime. Maybe he was on with Tommy.

Last year was a tough one for TR. That happens with no QB though, feels like Parker will get a bit of a pass with Sam.

I don't see MF getting too involved in the offense, I could be completely wrong. I do remember several moments where you could see him mouth "just run the damn ball". I think one was just before halftime. Maybe he was on with Tommy.

Last year was a tough one for TR. That happens with no QB though, feels like Parker will get a bit of a pass with Sam.
I would think that Rees is working within the overall structure of what the head coach wants, especially with a big lead, but I’m not sure about that.

Interesting that you picked up Freeman mouthing things. I picked up something during the Navy game too. I think he was exasperated with one of the ND defenders.

Last year was tough for Rees. I honestly think the offense was better than its statistics. Pyne was limited although a warrior. The Stanford game was only 14 points but it should have been so much more. The USC game ND shot themselves in the foot with the turnovers. The first drive was a missed assignment by Evans when he probably thought Diggs could beat the backer outside. Mitchellpalooza play…I think USC was offsides.

CJ is third best quarterback in the country coming out of high school. I expect a monster senior season out of him.

You “liked” him as QB? 🥴

He wasn't going to learn or develop under Freeman, who is learning on the job. The opportunity to learn from Saban is once in a lifetime. He stayed after BK also offered him $2M per year to help right the ship of his Alma Mater. People should be grateful.

He wasn't going to learn or develop under Freeman, who is learning on the job. The opportunity to learn from Saban is once in a lifetime. He stayed after BK also offered him $2M per year to help right the ship of his Alma Mater. People should be grateful.
Nah we can make up our own minds on how we should feel. We dont need your input

So the QB recruit needs to be a Trevor Lawrence; or, you're not satisfied with the OC. Be certain to criticize Gerad Parker when the 2025 QB is not a Trevor Lawrence.
I agree with your points on Tommy, especially with our expectations of his résumé in correlation with his age.

With Tommy going to Bama and having the opportunity to coach a recruit like Sayin, alongside the offensive weapons they recruit, sky is the limit for his résumé. I’m hoping he ends up back at ND one day and this experience proves fruitful for the Irish in recruiting.

You are so right !

Most of the anti-Rees morons forget that his coaching record at ND was 54-10 with two appearances in the College Football Playoffs.

That’s pretty impressive !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT