ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Rees, and his journey from Notre Dame QB to QB coach - ESPN Article

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Good article about coach Tom Rees at ND (one of the most underrated/underappreciated players during the BK era):

Minutes after Rees finished the last of his 30 collegiate starts to cap a career in which he wrung every drop of athletic potential out of his body, Kelly told a room full of reporters that the outgoing senior had an open invitation to take a job on the Notre Dame staff as a graduate assistant whenever he wanted it.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...otre-dame-tom-rees-managed-quarterback-change

“Good article about coach Tom Rees at ND (one of the most underrated/underappreciated players during the BK era):”

Some (myself included) would say the exact opposite, but w/ that said, I’ve always thought he would be a good coach & am glad he’s getting it done for ND.

Coach Rees was recently named QB Coach of the Year. I think he will become Brian Kelly's most successful coach one day. He knows the game, what it takes to win, and a really sharp mind. I said it back then and I say it again; he did more with less talent, than any player I remember in the 54 years of following ND football. Good luck Coach.

Rees was a late round flier on the recruiting trail (so to speak). ND didn't invest any resources in recruiting him .. ND was by far his best offer. Despite that, he prevailed the other talents around him, like Crist, and Golson who were 4 and 5 star recruits. Rees filled in nicely/kept the program competitive during a time when the starters were under performing or suspended. He almost beat out a healthy Dayne Crist back in 2010 or 2011 during a heated QB competition. Crist was a big time pro prospect at the time and lil tommy rees was neck and neck with him that entire fall camp.

Rees never complained despite the fans always shitting on him. He also took Kelly's tirades/tantrums better than any player at QB here. He came through in the clutch during that 2012 national title run, and holds some all time records at ND. By any standard he way over achieved and i think that's something that fans should appreciate. I'm surprised he doesn't get the chris finke/hunter renfrow respect/appreciation.

I used to love the way Rees worked the offense pre snap (getting everybody into position, calling hot routes and audibles at the LOS, etc.) His presnap routine reminded me of Peyton Manning.

I think if Brian Kelly sticks around at ND beyond this season, and Chip Long were to depart, Rees might be in the conversation/short list for a bump to QB coach/co offensive coordinator (like Mike Sanford was).

Last edited:
imagine if every player in ND history would have maximized their God given ability the way Rees did ? stinking shame he got ripped so often here. he had maybe 40% of the talent say a Dayne Crist did but was a ten times better football player.

Most ND fans appreciated all that Rees accomplished. No doubt, most of us desperately wanted Golson’s arm, accuracy and ability to extend plays combined with Rees football IQ, decision making, leadership and calm under pressure. We had all the right qualities for a great QB, just split between the two.

Agreed. Great man. Great member of the Irish squad and a team player with a keen football mind. A lot of us predicted he would become a good coach back when he was playing.

But damn, it has been a long, long time since Notre Dame had a QB stick in the NFL. A lot of high-profile busts. I still have hopes for Kizer and who knows, maybe Ian becomes the unlikely dark horse who finds success...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT