ADVERTISEMENT

Today’s performance just proves my point about Freeman

nd needs to go 11-1, simple as that. Anything worse and the season is a failure if we miss playoffs

ND will need a lot of help. Some bad results from other teams. It can be complicated...what if ND runs the table but other teams have quality 2 losses? That sort of thing.

A possibility is if NI proves to be a good team and wins out.

ND will need a lot of help. Some bad results from other teams. It can be complicated...what if ND runs the table but other teams have quality 2 losses? That sort of thing.

A possibility is if NI proves to be a good team and wins out.
If we win 11, we are in

I’m with the let’s not carried away camp. Purdue is not that good and ND is a level or two above. Much as I enjoyed this win, it doesn’t make up for last week.

I don’t have confidence in RL for reasons we’ve discussed. I don’t believe Freeman and Denbrock can produce a consistent offense. Top 20 team for me.

As always, I hope I’m wrong. I hope the offense can evolve and progress. We got glimpses of alternatives to RL.
So you're not convinced about RL even after today? Nobody seems to be, even with a 66-7 win, and RL I suppose being in rare form for him. Meaning he was most definitely a force running the ball, and at least serviceable as a passer. With the end result being an unstoppable offense in the first half, albeit vs a pretty poor looking Purdue. But still, 42-0 in one half is big time.

Reactions: christophero
So you're not convinced about RL even after today? Nobody seems to be, even with a 66-7 win, and RL I suppose being in rare form for him. Meaning he was most definitely a force running the ball, and at least serviceable as a passer. With the end result being an unstoppable offense in the first half, albeit vs a pretty poor looking Purdue. But still, 42-0 in one half is big time.

I'll always take a win with happiness. But you and others make good points about skepticism. RL can run, questionable as a passer...with a game plan that won't hold up against really good teams.

And perhaps won't against a lesser team...like NI!

🤷‍♂️

When was the last time we scored 66 against a p4 team. Doing it against new Mexico doesn't mean much
Neither does doing it against Purdue which, it's quite evident isn't much better. And that wasn't the question, keep deflecting loser!

Surviving games on this schedule won't be enough to get into the playoffs. Keep in mind, the national media and pundits were touting how Notre Dame should run the table with this schedule. Even the posters here were chiming in with 12-0 and 11-1 (that one being USC most likely). Well then.....should ND win out...are they in? I don't think so unless the wins are in dominent fashion, including USC. Thats the only way to transform the NIU debacle into a fluke. Any argument has to be a strong one. How ND wins is half the battle....the winning is the other half. Thats where the NIU damage was done.

I'm not surprised! Lol the first highlight on ESPN halftime show was RL staggering for his 34 yard td RUN and the announcer said RL didn't come to ND to throw a TD pass, everyone laughed. So even in a 66-7 win our QB gets mocked cause they know exactly what most of us do and any good coach...RL ISN'T THE ANSWER!
You're going along with pathetic liberal disgusting ESPN?

You know the kind of shit that network supports? And yet you stand by it and make fun of Notre Dame?

Wow that's weak. You must be a kid.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Exactly you've never seen real ND football! The fact you are the only one that kind of rides Golson5 jock in making excuses for RL tells me all I need to know.
For what it's worth, I'm 66 and I've seen plenty of real Notre Dame football, including losses to very average teams and crushing defeats to our biggest rivals and more than my share of close victories over teams we should have walloped.

Losing to Northern Illinois was about as bad as it gets, and I agree that first-time coaches always face a steep, if not impossible, climb at Notre Dame, but I think, despite his tendency to speak in coach-speak word salad, you can't close the book on Freeman yet. He's not going to win a NC this year, and he may not ever win one, but I still see enough good in him as a head coach to give him a couple of more years.

And that includes my skepticism with Riley Leonard as a our starting QB for the rest of the season.

👍 👌 🥱...59 and I've been to around 150 games all over this damn country! This wouldn't make the top 50 and that's just games I've seen in person! I asked you cause your posts are childish!!
Ahhh, a good old pissing contest about how great a Notre Dame fan you are and what a vast storehouse of Irish informtation you posses...allow me to toss my credibility cap into the ring...

(It's times like these that I miss Oldbender's input...for those of you around awhile, you remember him...perhaps the most knowledgably and informative poster on here...right up there with the dear, departed Mr. Somogyi)

Anyway...are you a credible Notre Dame source on which to judge how big a spanking yesterday was? Future has seen 150 games all over the damn country (I assume none in Ireland?), whereas:

1) I obtained my graduate education at Notre Dame;
2) I have seen over 175 games around the country (with the tick stubs to prove it - see #8 below);
3) I obtained tickets for my parents to see the 1996 game in Dublin (had to work couldn't make it);
4) A distant (3rd or 4th cousin) from the Pennsylvania side of the family emigration from Ireland taught at Notre Dame for two years during WWII;
5) During my time at ND, I played catch for 30 minutes with Tom Clements on his way out of the Law School, during which time we discussed his career with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and his destruction thereof in the 1984 Grey Cup;
6) Bought Terry Andrysiak beers at a bar in Hamilton, Ontario while he was QB for the Tiger-Cats;
7) Had Lou Holts inquire as to my availability to walk-on while I was kicking and punting a few balls around the intramural fields one Sunday morning...he was crushed when I informed him I could not because I was a grad student and had no more eligibility;
8) I have 1135 catalogued pieces of Notre Dame memorabilia including programs, ticket stubs (see #2 above), jerseys, pennants, mini-footballs, min-helmets...

So, I think I am qualified to say this was one mo-fo ass-kicking, comparable to the 1996 Rutgers massacre at Notre Dame stadium (62-0), during which, by-the-way, I was installing a Notre Dame-themed ceiling fan in my parents' basement...

One must think like a child to address a child...

Last edited:
Ahhh, a good old pissing contest about how great a Notre Dame fan you are and what a vast storehouse of Irish informtation you posses...allow me to toss my credibility cap into the ring...

(It's times like these that I miss Oldbender's input...for those of you around awhile, you remember him...perhaps the most knowledgably and informative poster on here...right up there with the dear, departed Mr. Somogyi)

Anyway...are you a credible Notre Dame source on which to judge how big a spanking yesterday was? Future has seen 150 games all over the damn country (I assume none in Ireland?), whereas:

2) I have seen over 175 games around the country (with the tick stubs to prove it - see #8 below);
3) I obtained tickets for my parents to see the 1996 game in Dublin (had to work couldn't make it);
4) A distant (3rd or 4th cousin) from the Pennsylvania side of the family emigration from Ireland taught at Notre Dame for two years during WWII;
5) During my time at ND, I played catch for 30 minutes with Tom Clements on his way out of the Law School, during which time we discussed his career with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and his destruction thereof in the 1984 Grey Cup;
6) Bought Terry Andrysiak beers at a bar in Hamilton, Ontario while he was QB for the Tiger-Cats;
7) Had Lou Holts inquire as to my availability to walk-on while I was kicking and punting a few balls around the intramural fields one Sunday morning...he was crushed when I informed him I could not because I was a grad student and had no more eligibility;
8) I have 1135 catalogued pieces of Notre Dame memorabilia including programs, ticket stubs (see #2 above), jerseys, pennants, mini-footballs, min-helmets...

So, I think I am qualified to say this was one mo-fo ass-kicking, comparable to the 1996 Rutgers massacre at Notre Dame stadium (62-0), during which, by-the-way, I was installing a Notre Dame-themed ceiling fan in my parents' basement...

Ok

You're going along with pathetic liberal disgusting ESPN?

You know the kind of shit that network supports? And yet you stand by it and make fun of Notre Dame?

Wow that's weak. You must be a kid.
Still a kid at 59🤣...I HATE ESPN BUT, WHEN YOUR RIGHT, YOUR RIGHT!

Worse, a lefty

It's funny how partisan and identity politics find their way even in sports. But I think ND has largely remained outside this. Maybe even college football as a whole...compared to pro-sports.

ND is what it is because of general policies around admissions, majors, and matriculation. I follow pretty closely program management stuff and haven't seen egregious cultural war stuff...no, I don't believe Freeman was some so called diversity hire.

Occam's Razor: Freeman was a Faust, Davie, Willingham, and Weis hire. BK wasn't. Kind of clear pattern to me. Within the aforementioned context of policies preventing stacking top talent in depth.

Reactions: christophero

Hey.....tell me about that ceiling fan. I'd like to pick one up for my daughters room!

For what it's worth, I'm 66 and I've seen plenty of real Notre Dame football, including losses to very average teams and crushing defeats to our biggest rivals and more than my share of close victories over teams we should have walloped.

Losing to Northern Illinois was about as bad as it gets, and I agree that first-time coaches always face a steep, if not impossible, climb at Notre Dame, but I think, despite his tendency to speak in coach-speak word salad, you can't close the book on Freeman yet. He's not going to win a NC this year, and he may not ever win one, but I still see enough good in him as a head coach to give him a couple of more years.

And that includes my skepticism with Riley Leonard as a our starting QB for the rest of the season.
Only thing I would add to this is... we recruited Angeli (and Minchey) for reasons. Those reasons don't disappear just because RL is here. If we get into situations where the passing game is a must, it would be silly to negligent to not utlize SA.

Reactions: NDinNJ
TBF, he didn't say that in what I responded to or his OP. It was not mentioned in his premise at all. Only by you
OK, i'll own it... comparing a coach who is in his first game at a school versus a coach who is starting his third year at his school is just ridiculous.

Then again, I think the whole premise is/was ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT