ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Sheffield Commits to ND - WR

Urban must be pissed. Come on. over tOSU? really? I checked tOSU target list (had to hit ‘more’ 3x’s) and did not see him there. So?

Last edited:
Sounds like he still wants to take other visits this fall. I think I would say if your looking so are we...

Reactions: LH24ND
It seems weird that he would mention that he is going to take further visits in his commitment tweet. Also, he was crystal balled to Purdue just days before his announcement and neither Brian Kelly nor Chip Long have tweeted yet. My guess is that this is just a publicity move made by a guy who does not hold a commitable offer.

If my assumption is true, the Notre Dame coaches can't really do anything about it. In the end, they can obviously choose not to admit him, however since they cannot directly mention him right now, the absence of the #WeAreND tweet is slightly worrying.

Last edited:
The timing is interesting being that Hart just committed 2 days ago. I wonder if ND told recruits they only plan on taking 2 WRs and in fear of losing his spot, Sheffield committed now.

If he indeed is coming, this is a a commit to be excited about. Has the speed you want and is a football player as he film shows he doesn't shy from contact or run out of bounds. Has good hands. Could care less about his 3 star rating. Think he'd be a matchup nightmare from the slot position. If he can put on 20-25 pounds of muscle without losing speed and agility, he'll do great.

Reactions: justified1
The timing is interesting being that Hart just committed 2 days ago. I wonder if ND told recruits they only plan on taking 2 WRs and in fear of losing his spot, Sheffield committed now.

If he indeed is coming, this is a a commit to be excited about. Has the speed you want and is a football player as he film shows he doesn't shy from contact or run out of bounds. Has good hands. Could care less about his 3 star rating. Think he'd be a matchup nightmare from the slot position. If he can put on 20-25 pounds of muscle without losing speed and agility, he'll do great.

He really doesn’t have speed. He ran a mid 4.7 40 & looks even slower on film.
He is more of a good hands, tough kid, quick movements in small space, kind of guy. His film is a lot like Sanders, but Sanders was faster.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
He is more of a good hands, tough kid, quick movements in small space, kind of guy. His film is a lot like Sanders, but Sanders was faster.
LOL you think this Sheffield kid looked slow on film? Are you sure you watched the correct highlights?

LOL you think this Sheffield kid looked slow on film? Are you sure you watched the correct highlights?

He is quick. Not fast. Big difference.
Listen to the podcast of his commitment. The analysts even say his fastest 40 time is 4.7, & he is even slower than that on the field.
They talk about him having a quick first step & good shiftiness, but no break away speed.
LBs run faster than 4.7
You only have to listen to the first 5-6 minutes. They talk about it first thing.

Spare me the 40 time. I seldom pay attention to that, as it doesn't tell me what kind of football player the kid is. As I said, in my post he has the speed you want. Meaning he's got football speed and knows how to use his athletic ability to run routes, separate, and make plays. I wasn't implying he runs a 4.3. Would that be nice? Sure. But there's plenty of track stars who absolutely sucked at football.

Rivals seems to be the only site that has him with three stars. So what's new about that? They seem to under value a lot of guys over the years. I think for now ND is still looking for wide receivers. He's verbald to ND but he's not committed yet. You're not committed to something if you're still testing the water. Silence from Coach Kelly, Long, and other members of this class on twitter says a lot to me. ND is still searching for receivers at this point. I'm surprised ND took his commitment today under this circumstance.
I don't know that we can even say that ND took his commitment. There is no tweet from Kelly unlike every other player who has committed to this class. You could argue that Kelly is just late, however his account is likely run by ND staff and the tweets for Cam Hart/Brendon Clark came within minutes of their announcement.

He is quick. Not fast. Big difference.
Listen to the podcast of his commitment. The analysts even say his fastest 40 time is 4.7, & he is even slower than that on the field.
They talk about him having a quick first step & good shiftiness, but no break away speed.
LBs run faster than 4.7
You only have to listen to the first 5-6 minutes. They talk about it first thing.
You're probably right. He is very quick, usually that goes hand in hand with being fast but not always. I believe you

Rivals seems to be the only site that has him with three stars. So what's new about that? They seem to under value a lot of guys over the years. I think for now ND is still looking for wide receivers. He's verbald to ND but he's not committed yet. You're not committed to something if you're still testing the water. Silence from Coach Kelly, Long, and other members of this class on twitter says a lot to me. ND is still searching for receivers at this point. I'm surprised ND took his commitment today under this circumstance.
ESPN has him 150 I believe... so he probably can't play LOL

You're probably right. He is very quick, usually that goes hand in hand with being fast but not always. I believe you

Don’t get me wrong, I like him.
I don’t need a 4.4 40 time for a good football player. He runs good routes, catches the ball, changes direction fast, & is tough as nails.

I don't know that we can even say that ND took his commitment. There is no tweet from Kelly unlike every other player who has committed to this class. You could argue that Kelly is just late, however his account is likely run by ND staff and the tweets for Cam Hart/Brendon Clark came within minutes of their announcement.

They haven’t.
I think they are trying to figure it out.

Spare me the 40 time. I seldom pay attention to that, as it doesn't tell me what kind of football player the kid is. As I said, in my post he has the speed you want. Meaning he's got football speed and knows how to use his athletic ability to run routes, separate, and make plays. I wasn't implying he runs a 4.3. Would that be nice? Sure. But there's plenty of track stars who absolutely sucked at football.

I understand your point. But he is not “fast” even in football terms.
But I like his toughness.

It’d be nice to have both, but I’d take shiftiness and first step speed over a good 40 time all day. Maybe the most overrated stat in recruiting.

So, he has a nice composite rating .90+, and you are reporting he is small, but he makes up for his lack of size, by being slow?

Have any staff tweets been associated with the commitment, as is the usual and only confirmation of legitimacy?

Sounds like he still wants to take other visits this fall. I think I would say if your looking so are we...

Yes great comment and I agree. This one does nothing for me when I hear those trips comments from a kid.

Yes great comment and I agree. This one does nothing for me when I hear those trips comments from a kid.
Agreed

But a 10.7 100mm is flying-----kid has speed----catches made in traffic---hopefully the commit remains firm

Reactions: LH24ND
Agreed

But a 10.7 100mm is flying-----kid has speed----catches made in traffic---hopefully the commit remains firm

All these times aren’t adding up. His best 40 is a 4.7, but he ran a 10.7 in the 100? He must be a very slow starter with those types of times, but apparently that’s where he is elite?

Anyone thought that this may be a UM devised plot?

40 prospects will suddenly commit to ND therefore causing others to feel the class is over recruited and they look away? Darn him!

I just ran across this info on SBT page.....

Eric Hansen Retweeted

Tj Sheffield@the_tj2

100%
2618.png

6h

Not sure what film you are looking at, but if you think this kid looks slow on film, maybe you should check your broadband connection. The kid is lightening fast. Every time he touches it, you think he wil take it to the house. I love this pick up. He is now saying no other officials - he is 100% Irish. That works for me. Welcome aboard TJ. Let’s drop the pessimism and critiques. An excellent addition to the class.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/6299282/TJ-Sheffield-247Sports-4

I think his sophomore highlights actually show his speed even more. Watch the first 3 minutes and tell me you don’t love this commitment.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT