ADVERTISEMENT

The problem I have with targeting calls

Nope, it’s routinely called against offensive or return team players who are blind side blocking a defenseless defender

Blind side blocking isn’t remotely related to helmet to helmet contact, ditto defenseless players

huh?

Stand up wherever you are.
Walk into the wall staring straight ahead. What hits the wall? Your face does.
Now do the same thing & stare at the ground. What hits the wall? The crown of your head does. It’s that simple.
If you are looking straight forward it’s impossible to lead with the crown. This has been a fact in football forever. You cannot be called for targeting if you are looking straight ahead.

when’s the last time a defender tackled a player when the defensive player was 90 degrees to the field.

you probably forgot about the protective horseshoe collars and their purpose.

if a defender is at 45 to 70 degrees when making a tackle and puts his face at 90 degrees to the field, he’s going to sever his spinal cord at impact

Blind side blocking isn’t remotely related to helmet to helmet contact, ditto defenseless players
When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

do the names Devin Gardner and Max Redfield ring a bell? Redfield acting as a blocker after an interception gets flagged for a blindside hit on defenseless Gardner.

when’s the last time a defender tackled a player when the defensive player was 90 degrees to the field.

you probably forgot about the protective horseshoe collars and their purpose.

if a defender is at 45 to 70 degrees when making a tackle and puts his face at 90 degrees to the field, he’s going to sever his spinal cord at impact

You are completely missing the point.
The crown is where your hairline meets your forehead. Your face mask sticks about 2 inches out from that. It’s impossible to have your crown hit first unless you are looking down. Period. 99.999999% of tackles are done this way, thus less than 1 ejection per few thousand contacts per game.
If your crown hits first, you tackled the incorrectly.

huh?

Stand up wherever you are.
Walk into the wall staring straight ahead. What hits the wall? Your face does.
Now do the same thing & stare at the ground. What hits the wall? The crown of your head does. It’s that simple.
If you are looking straight forward it’s impossible to lead with the crown. This has been a fact in football forever. You cannot be called for targeting if you are looking straight ahead.

And I’d like to suggest that the OP try that exercise repeatedly. Maybe it would knock some sense into him.

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

do the names Devin Gardner and Max Redfield ring a bell? Redfield acting as a blocker after an interception gets flagged for a blindside hit on defenseless Gardner.

one has nothing to do with the other, they are distinctly different rules/calls

one has nothing to do with the other, they are distinctly different rules/calls
Haha nice pivot ... of course they are different calls. Defensive players can be defenseless players. Use some common sense, the rules have been put in place to protect players from reckless and dangerous play especially involving head contact. Get over it, it’s not 1950 anymore.

You are completely missing the point.
The crown is where your hairline meets your forehead. Your face mask sticks about 2 inches out from that. It’s impossible to have your crown hit first unless you are looking down. Period. 99.999999% of tackles are done this way, thus less than 1 ejection per few thousand contacts per game.
If your crown hits first, you tackled the incorrectly.

nobody, with the exception of interior linemen tackle while standing straight up at 90 degrees to the field. Most tackles are made when the defender is 45 to 70 degrees to the field. That automatically changes the position/angle of the helmet. When the offensive player lowers their head, and ducks, it changes the position/angle of their helmet, creating a crown to crown collision. Why should that event be solely the defensive players penalty ?

Haha nice pivot ... of course they are different calls. Defensive players can be defenseless players. Use some common sense, the rules have been put in place to players from reckless and dangerous play especially involving head contact. Get over it, it’s not 1950 anymore.

your missing the point, the issue is helmet to helmet targeting, not blindside or defenseless player hits. Blindside and defenseless player hits have nothing to do with helmet to helmet contact

your missing the point, the issue is helmet to helmet targeting, not blindside or defenseless player hits. Blindside and defenseless player hits have nothing to do with helmet to helmet contact
You are all over the place bro, we get the rules. You are the guy that was questioning an obvious targeting call over and over.

You are all over the place bro, we get the rules. You are the guy that was questioning an obvious targeting call over and over.

I’ve been consistent, you were the one confusing the rules.

I called into question the offensive players culpability in creating targeting calls, which are almost universally called on defenders.

when a defender goes to tackle an offensive player and in the second or two prior to contact, the offensive player alters his position and lowers his helmet, essentially causing helmet to helmet contact, why is that solely the defenders responsibility?

I thought it was a clear targeting call watching it live. Not sure what the fuss is about. Pretty cut and dried to me based on the rules. Worse call of the day was the no call PI against Oklahoma in the 1st quarter.

I think on that particular hit, the defender clearly lead with the top of his helmet. Lawrence was instinctively bracing for the hit. It was the right call. If the defender just goes for the tackle or maybe leads with his shoulder, that simply would have been a sack.
Leading with the crown of the helmet is what they're trying to clean up. It's dangerous for the tackler and offensive player. It was without a doubt targeting. I think the guy doing a Butkus neck tackle hurt more than the helmet to helmet hit. I don't blame Lawrence for playing possum after those hits. It's very impactful seeing the big star laying on the ground in 2019 after that play. it insured somebody was going to get tossed from the game.

Reactions: tkirish
That was not targeting. QB lowered his head. The defender is running full speed what the hell is he supposed to do. Totally changed game. Bullshit call and I hate OSU
Absolutely 100% the proper call by rule. Textbook targeting

Absolutely 100% the proper call by rule. Textbook targeting

Take a closer look, Wade is coming in on Trevor’s shoulder when Trevor lowers his head AND rotates his body, presenting his head rather than his shoulder.

Leading with the crown of the helmet is what they're trying to clean up. It's dangerous for the tackler and offensive player. It was without a doubt targeting. I think the guy doing a Butkus neck tackle hurt more than the helmet to helmet hit. I don't blame Lawrence for playing possum after those hits. It's very impactful seeing the big star laying on the ground in 2019 after that play. it insured somebody was going to get tossed from the game.

I agree when the offensive player doesn’t change his body position prior to the hit, but when the offensive player changes the position and angle of his body and that results in a targeting call, the penalty on the defensive player shouldn’t be so severe.

if not, the equivalent of the “flop” will come into play

Take a closer look, Wade is coming in on Trevor’s shoulder when Trevor lowers his head AND rotates his body, presenting his head rather than his shoulder.
I disagree. The call was correct. We'll need to agree to disagree

Doesn't matter. Leading with the crown of your helmet in the shoulder/ head area will always garner scrutiny. It was poor fundamentals by the player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT