ADVERTISEMENT

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs Ohio State game !!!! Discuss!!!

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
This is the perfect opener for the Irish. Ohio State has a GREAT offense but as we all know it takes a few games or longer for a offense to get going.
Oregon took full advantage last year and the Irish have an even better defense.
Ohio State has a great program but I have seen some backsliding from them the last couple of years which include blowout losses to Alabama and Michigan. Maybe Day is just riding Meyers coat tails.
In 1988 we had a big win vs Michigan to jumpstart our National Championship season.
In 2018 we beat a tough Michigan team to jumpstart our 12 and 0 playoff season.

We have much more talent on offense this year and we ended the last three games averaging 45 points a game once the Oline got settled and Tommy opened it up. I think Styles is going to have a HUGE year this year along with Michael Mayer.
The Irish have a few very talented wide receivers who just might break out this year (Colzie, Thomas) and we have many talented upperclassman who can provide leadership along with big plays like Avery Davis and Braden Lenzy and superfast Chris Tyree out of the backfield.

And we all know this is the most stocked in talent the Defense has ever been since Holtz.

*** Marcus Freeman will get the Irish Super Fired up for this game !! Something Grace Kelly would not do for the big games ! And we all know how that turned out !

The Irish have the front seven to attack CJ Stroud and get him out of his comfort zone (like the Michigan front seven did to him last year)

I believe Tyler Buchner was not going to play the spring game whether he was healthy or not. Marcus does not want Ohio State to see how GREAT a player Tyler is. He is faster than Winbush and has a GREAT arm to go along with that.

Tyler Buchner is the savior that the Irish have been looking for !! The Irish are going to start being QB U starting this year as Buchner makes a strong run at the Heisman ! And Dante Moore signs with the Irish ! And Angelli shines when he plays !!

Marcus is going to have the Irish playing like Mad Dogs at Ohio State !! I guarantee that !!

Reactions: sluggo69
I have ND winning this game.

The number 1 reason? The ND Oline will dominate and man handle OSU in the run game.

This game will be similar to the way Michigan dominated OSU in the run game.

By winning the ground game ND will keep the high powered OSU offense off the field.

Michigan had 297 yards rushing. Won 42-27

Also, OSU struggled in the run game. 64 yards vs Michigan.

Nothing has changed in those areas for OSU.

The new DC will not change the players that are still there.

ND 41
OSU 31

ND will rush for over 300 yards!!!

Reactions: BodiTheGreat

The number 1 reason? The ND Oline will dominate and man handle OSU in the run game.

By winning the ground game ND will keep the high powered OSU offense off the field.

ND 41
OSU 31

That's if TR game plans the offense to run vs tOSU. He may choose to air it out 50+ times, who knows.

It depends on if they play not to get Buchner hurt. If they let Buchner be Buchner, they have a shot. If they make him a passer, we will have a slow start.

New running back room, I see turnovers as a potential issue.

Also if it comes down to the kicking game, we are in a bad place.

Noise and OL penalties.

If ND shows up like Michigan did last year, with blood running down their chin, like they’re defending a Russian invasion (even though it’s away), they can win.

This is the perfect opener for the Irish. Ohio State has a GREAT offense but as we all know it takes a few games or longer for a offense to get going.
Oregon took full advantage last year and the Irish have an even better defense.
Ohio State has a great program but I have seen some backsliding from them the last couple of years which include blowout losses to Alabama and Michigan. Maybe Day is just riding Meyers coat tails.
In 1988 we had a big win vs Michigan to jumpstart our National Championship season.
In 2018 we beat a tough Michigan team to jumpstart our 12 and 0 playoff season.

We have much more talent on offense this year and we ended the last three games averaging 45 points a game once the Oline got settled and Tommy opened it up. I think Styles is going to have a HUGE year this year along with Michael Mayer.
The Irish have a few very talented wide receivers who just might break out this year (Colzie, Thomas) and we have many talented upperclassman who can provide leadership along with big plays like Avery Davis and Braden Lenzy and superfast Chris Tyree out of the backfield.

And we all know this is the most stocked in talent the Defense has ever been since Holtz.

*** Marcus Freeman will get the Irish Super Fired up for this game !! Something Grace Kelly would not do for the big games ! And we all know how that turned out !

The Irish have the front seven to attack CJ Stroud and get him out of his comfort zone (like the Michigan front seven did to him last year)

I believe Tyler Buchner was not going to play the spring game whether he was healthy or not. Marcus does not want Ohio State to see how GREAT a player Tyler is. He is faster than Winbush and has a GREAT arm to go along with that.

Tyler Buchner is the savior that the Irish have been looking for !! The Irish are going to start being QB U starting this year as Buchner makes a strong run at the Heisman ! And Dante Moore signs with the Irish ! And Angelli shines when he plays !!

Marcus is going to have the Irish playing like Mad Dogs at Ohio State !! I guarantee that !!
Man; Here we see an example of what I was referring to in another thread; Buchner as an all world QB. Man, I just don't see it all. Am I that clueless? I suppose many must think so. But, I just don't see Buckner as a great passer, with great pocket presence or anything. More often than not he will be looking to tuck the ball and run. On what evidence is Buchner a good/great QB???

Man; Here we see an example of what I was referring to in another thread; Buchner as an all world QB. Man, I just don't see it all. Am I that clueless. I suppose many must think so. But, I just don't see Buckner as a great passer, with great pocket presence or anything. More often than not he will be looking to tuck the ball and run. On what evidence is Buchner a good/great QB???

I see him as a potential Tim Tebow type, obviously not the leadership level of Tebow. He’s going to have to make some plays through the air, but his strength is running and against Ohio State, that’s what he needs to do. I hope we run down their throats. Estime is huge in this game. Harry H is’ development is huuge. That’s the game plan. Show me you can stop the running monster of Buchner, Estime, Diggs, Price. Find Mayer when he’s open and let him dominate. Always keep Styles in the game. That’s what Michigan did. They freaking pounded them. Run run run. Opposite of Ok St. The OL is key to this game. No penalties, physicality. Open holes.

Last edited:
Man; Here we see an example of what I was referring to in another thread; Buchner as an all world QB. Man, I just don't see it all. Am I that clueless? I suppose many must think so. But, I just don't see Buckner as a great passer, with great pocket presence or anything. More often than not he will be looking to tuck the ball and run. On what evidence is Buchner a good/great QB???
We will see. He has all the tools.

Like the enthusiasm in initial post. Just hope we’re healthy and the kicking game is solid. Do believe we have the weapons and potentially great OL. If corners can cover it will be a game.
very very tough to win in the shoe though.

ND 41
OSU 31

Dominate Ohio State's DL? Ughhh you might want to re think that one. Ohio State is very deep on the DL, it's the deepest position on the team, and it has two bookend 5* DEs. The overall unit will be much better than it was at the end of last year, and in fact the new DC is changing how the DL plays, especially in the running game. You're crazy if you think the same defense is going to be trotting out their in 2022.

I don't get the idea that you think our players are just going to be the same. Ohio State was very young last year, they return a ton of talent. Their strong recruiting classes of 2020 and 2021 are now in their sophomore and junior seasons.

I believe that the opening lines had OSU favored by 10.5 to 13.5 points.

That’s a big hurdle for any coach and team to overcome.

Accuracy in the passing game and turnovers will probably determine our fate

I wish I had Bodi/88 confidence, i just don't see us coming out with a win. I think both teams are a bit cautious to not play your way into trouble, i could see a tight game at half. Maybe a 10-7 or 10-3. Defense dominate the first half and ND plays well. Home game, night, great QB, just tips the scale a bit to OSU. At ND, would be a different story.

CJS is the Heisman front runner. 6-3, experience, not a dual threat. Speed is not his strength.

Our DL and rush ends should be top notch. You will have to get to CJ quick and ND's line will have to be back to 2020 form to protect Buch. TB is the wild card here.

What does OSU's line return?

I wish I had Bodi/88 confidence, i just don't see us coming out with a win. I think both teams are a bit cautious to not play your way into trouble, i could see a tight game at half. Maybe a 10-7 or 10-3. Defense dominate the first half and ND plays well. Home game, night, great QB, just tips the scale a bit to OSU. At ND, would be a different story.

CJS is the Heisman front runner. 6-3, experience, not a dual threat. Speed is not his strength.

Our DL and rush ends should be top notch. You will have to get to CJ quick and ND's line will have to be back to 2020 form to protect Buch. TB is the wild card here.

OSU is moving it's starting right guard from last year over to left tackle, his more natural position. His name is Paris Johnson Jr, 5* in the class of 2020 so a junior now. They return their center (Luke Wypler, 4* sophomore) and right tackle Dawand Jones, who is lower rated but had a solid 2021 season, he's a behemoth of a human, 6'8 360. Left guard is open but the new starter will be Donovan Jackson, 5* sophomore. He might be the best pure player among any of the OL. Right guard will be Matthew Jones, a 5th year senior who is really solid, former high 4* recruit. Our line suffered last year because we were essentially playing 4 tackle bodies along the OL, this year it's back to players playing their traditional positions.

Having those huge bodies at guard really affected the run blocking of the team. They could not get leverage on the DL and couldn't get a push. The benefit with that is the pass protection was stout, CJ was kept clean all season.

Well that’s not good news as A protected CJ sounds like a heavy % completion.

Gonna have to take some blitz chances. Feast or famine.

Hopefully we can move the ball. Get a ground game going and control some clock.

Dominate Ohio State's DL? Ughhh you might want to re think that one. Ohio State is very deep on the DL, it's the deepest position on the team, and it has two bookend 5* DEs. The overall unit will be much better than it was at the end of last year, and in fact the new DC is changing how the DL plays, especially in the running game. You're crazy if you think the same defense is going to be trotting out their in 2022.

I don't get the idea that you think our players are just going to be the same. Ohio State was very young last year, they return a ton of talent. Their strong recruiting classes of 2020 and 2021 are now in their sophomore and junior seasons.
Again, Michigan rushed for 297

The idea of a quarterback with Buchner's lack of college football experience going against tOSU in Game 1 gives me serious pause. I can foresee him getting rattled early...with ND bringing Pyne in to play catch up and getting swallowed up by those DEs. The quarterback position overall looks dicey...while tOSU returns their starter. I am surprised the line isn't 17+.

Reactions: smcnd
Serious issues at QB, so I just don't see a W here. Double digit dog for a reason. I have tremendous faith in Rees and Freeman but I think this game could be another ugly ND loss.

I would be most comfortable with the score being in the teens....From my perspective...the greater the score...the better for tOSU.

Again, Michigan rushed for 297
What does that have to do with anything? That game was last year. I mean if you're going to nitpick stats, Oklahoma State had over 600 total yards against Notre Dame. So I guess Ohio State will have more success?? Your logic doesn't make any sense.

What does that have to do with anything? That game was last year. I mean if you're going to nitpick stats, Oklahoma State had over 600 total yards against Notre Dame. So I guess Ohio State will have more success?? Your logic doesn't make any sense.
What does that have to do with anything? Why are a lot of people saying the ND Oline will be good this season??? Because of what they did and who is returning from last season.

How are teams ranked before the season starts? Because of who they have coming back and how they finished the year before.

OSU struggled to stop a good run game. That will also be their biggest issue next season.

The idea of a quarterback with Buchner's lack of college football experience going against tOSU in Game 1 gives me serious pause. I can foresee him getting rattled early...with ND bringing Pyne in to play catch up and getting swallowed up by those DEs. The quarterback position overall looks dicey...while tOSU returns their starter. I am surprised the line isn't 17+.
That’s just the opening line, I’m sure that it will move as we get closer to kickoff !

What does that have to do with anything? Why are a lot of people saying the ND Oline will be good this season??? Because of what they did and who is returning from last season.

How are teams ranked before the season starts? Because of who they have coming back and how they finished the year before.

OSU struggled to stop a good run game. That will also be their biggest issue next season.
People are saying the OSU DL will be good next year, especially under a new coordinator, one of the best in college football. If you think the same DL and same scheme that played in 2021 is transferring over to the new season, you're going to be disappointed.

People are saying the OSU DL will be good next year, especially under a new coordinator, one of the best in college football. If you think the same DL and same scheme that played in 2021 is transferring over to the new season, you're going to be disappointed.
#1 The dline is not the only position that stops the run. LBs first step is forward to stop the run. The OSU LBs were pretty average and under sized.

So yes, I am sticking to my prediction that the OSU run defense will be there kryptonite.

#1 The dline is not the only position that stops the run. LBs first step is forward to stop the run. The OSU LBs were pretty average and under sized.

So yes, I am sticking to my prediction that the OSU run defense will be there kryptonite.
Undersized? That's flat out not true. And I hate to break it to you but the new coordinator coaches linebackers and he's damn good at it. Ohio State's former linebackers coach is now coaching at Notre Dame.

Undersized? That's flat out not true. And I hate to break it to you but the new coordinator coaches linebackers and he's damn good at it. Ohio State's former linebackers coach is now coaching at Notre Dame.
As a DL coach. And thank you he's a very good recruiter and very good DL coach

Reactions: Zorich 88
I watched a lot of OSU games. LBs are short and average. Not one will be drafted.

So who wins, ND vs OSU. Go on the record with your pick

We our long overdue to win a game we shouldnt. Kelly did not have the guys up for big games. Marcus gets the men fired up as we saw when he was announced as Head coach. Us Irish fans will see a fired up Irish team and will see the wonders of high adrenaline levels in 20 year old athletes. I cant wait !

Reactions: ftnfan62
Welcome to our board. I am so happy we get to play a great football program like Ohio State. Can't wait for opening day !

Reactions: BucksLAN
We our long overdue to win a game we shouldnt. Kelly did not have the guys up for big games. Marcus gets the men fired up as we saw when he was announced as Head coach. Us Irish fans will see a fired up Irish team and will see the wonders of high adrenaline levels in 20 year old athletes. I cant wait !
How did that “firing up” work against OSU ?

Let’s be practical to prudent and try to separate wishful thinking from reality.

Vegas doesn’t make a team a 10.5 to 13.5 underdog because they want to lose money.

Let’s HOPE that ND pulls off an upset and has a magical season

How did that “firing up” work against OSU ?

Let’s be practical to prudent and try to separate wishful thinking from reality.

Vegas doesn’t make a team a 10.5 to 13.5 underdog because they want to lose money.

Let’s HOPE that ND pulls off an upset and has a magical season
It got them out to a 28 to 7 lead. ND came out fired up for once.

If Clarence Lewis starts OSU will put up 76 points. If he doesn't start between 45 to 52 points. We might score 21. OSUs 2nd string QB McCord is better than the overrated Stroud. Hope for no significant injuries. Tough schedule ahead.

I agree on the line, its two top 10 teams. The story on ND is only losing 2 starters; one started half the season. So we are talent rich and we have experience. This is not the all frosh line that started at FSU. They have some serious game experience and a well documented wizard at OL. We will miss Kyren, he was a highlight reel and none of our backs are him. But, we got the baby-bus and some world class speed. We have not had that in a bit so it will be like some old holtz teams with some thunder and lightning.

I cant see more than a 9.5 spread and likely 7.5.

The defense looks great. Its really going to come down to Buch. Can he move the ball on the RPO and can the line give him time.

Buchner showed flashes of greatness as a frosh. He came into the Toledo game and led 3 TD drives. That's not a typical frosh for ND.

He has the tools and smarts for sure. I dont think its going to be some blowout, but then again i didnt think that about Michigan in 2019. It happens.

If we can get a few TOs and not commit any, we can win. We reverse that and give them more chances, no chance. They dont need the help, we will.

I agree on the line, its two top 10 teams. The story on ND is only losing 2 starters; one started half the season. So we are talent rich and we have experience. This is not the all frosh line that started at FSU. They have some serious game experience and a well documented wizard at OL. We will miss Kyren, he was a highlight reel and none of our backs are him. But, we got the baby-bus and some world class speed. We have not had that in a bit so it will be like some old holtz teams with some thunder and lightning.

I cant see more than a 9.5 spread and likely 7.5.

The defense looks great. Its really going to come down to Buch. Can he move the ball on the RPO and can the line give him time.

Buchner showed flashes of greatness as a frosh. He came into the Toledo game and led 3 TD drives. That's not a typical frosh for ND.

He has the tools and smarts for sure. I dont think its going to be some blowout, but then again i didnt think that about Michigan in 2019. It happens.

If we can get a few TOs and not commit any, we can win. We reverse that and give them more chances, no chance. They dont need the help, we will.
We lost more than 2 starters

I watched a lot of OSU games. LBs are short and average. Not one will be drafted.

So who wins, ND vs OSU. Go on the record with your pick
Short and average lol okay man

I think Ohio State wins. They return a bunch of talent from a very young team last year, and they have a Heisman trophy frontrunner returning. OSU might have the best QB/RB/WR trio in the country. The defense returns a lot of guys and gets a massive boost with a coordinator that can actually call a defense.

Reactions: Airzee23
If Clarence Lewis starts OSU will put up 76 points. If he doesn't start between 45 to 52 points. We might score 21. OSUs 2nd string QB McCord is better than the overrated Stroud. Hope for no significant injuries. Tough schedule ahead.
I'm sorry but what makes Stroud overrated? He was fantastic last year in his redshirt freshmen season. By the Rose Bowl he was making NFL level throws all game. He's far from overrated

Reactions: Airzee23
My.concern has been and continues to be the OLINE.

If they can’t generate a reliable running game and protect and give the QB adequate time W’s are going to be hard to come by.

My.concern has been and continues to be the OLINE.

If they can’t generate a reliable running game and protect and give the QB adequate time W’s are going to be hard to come by.
Why don't you go root for LSU with the traitor Brian Kelly?
The Irish Oline is going to dominate in 2022.

Reactions: sluggo69
How’d he do in his half time talk ?

Leads are irrelevant, it’s the final score that counts
Did Kelly ever jump to a 28 to 7 lead in a major bowl game?
Alabama jumped to a 35 to 0 lead against ND in 2012. Ohio State jumped to a 28 to 0 lead in 2015. Clemson clobbered us 30 to 3 in 2018. And Clemson jumped to a 34 to 3 lead in the ACC championship game in 2020. Alabama jumped to a 31 to 7 lead in the 2020 playoff game.

*** So any loss sucks but losing 37 to 35 is at least competitive.

Kelly failed big time at both his pregame and halftime speeches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT