ADVERTISEMENT

The Jockocracy

mmboys07

All Star
Oct 3, 2004
Yes, I have always supported ND Football, and will continue to do so. I am athletic myself. Athletics are important. However, I have never thought they make a person somehow better prepared for life than others. In any case, as a high school teacher for almost 44 years, I have been at war from time to time with the jockocracy at the high school level. The entitlement mentality and the entourage mentality is getting worse. In a post in response to the recent events of the ND 6 I expressed a strong desire that they all be removed from the team. And, we are all aware of controversies of this nature all over the country and in all sports, which seem to be increasing. To illustrate: I suggest taking some time to research the activities of the Bellevue School District (Bellevue, Washington St.) in relation to their football program over the last 10 years. They have won, I think, 10 state championships out of the past 12. So, how did they do it?? And, we wonder why college athletes act the way they do. For many of them they have been pampered for years. In a few days I am going to tell the story of a football player I had in class who went on to start at a Division 1 school (a major rival of ND).

By the way: I think it is ok to give the name of the school district since the problems there are a matter of the public record.

research the activities of the Bellevue School District

I sent my kids to that school for a couple of years. Bellevue=Redmond=Microsoft. Lot's of money at the school. Definitely one of the wealthiest and most populous areas in the region. I was surprised the academics were not rated that high. I'm guessing Amazon being in Seattle proper is still full of younger people as it's a younger company. Microsoft has been there for 30 years in Redmond and that area is VERY well off.

I think the problem with using them as an example is that ALL the top 20 or 25 college football programs have plenty of money to spend. So there really isn't any advantage.

OP, I don't blame the jocks for what you describe. Usually it is the adults who create the culture of entitlement, not the kids.

A few years back, when my college graduate daughter was looking for a job, we learned from a recruiter that high school and college athletes have a leg up in the hiring process, even if they never hit the big time. People who play team sports have learned important teamwork skills highly valued in the workplace today. Further, athletes have learned that success requires hard work, not just talent. Lastly, athletes have learned that you can't win every time, and thus they learn how to get back up, dust themselves off, and step back into the batters box to try again.

If you want to complain about sports, blame the adults who F it up, not the kids who are just enjoying a game that also teaches them a few lessons about life.

I have as many stories about paycheck coaches and incompetent teachers as I have about entitled athletes. The lousy coaches and teachers don't diminish the value of teaching, but they do give it a black eye, just like a few idiot athletes who carry guns, smoke weed and beat their girlfriends, hurt the image of college sports..

Reactions: irishalice
OP, I don't blame the jocks for what you describe. Usually, it is the adults who create the culture of entitlement, not the kids.

A few years back, when my college graduate daughter was looking for a job, we learned from a recruiter that high school and college athletes have a leg up in the hiring process, even if they never hit the big time. People who play team sports have learned important teamwork skills highly valued in the workplace today. Further, athletes have learned that success requires hard work, not just talent. Lastly, athletes have learned that you can't win every time, and thus they learn how to get back up, dust themselves off, and step back into the batters box to try again.

If you want to complain about sports, blame the adults who F it up, not the kids who are just enjoying a game that also teaches them a few lessons about life.

I have as many stories about paycheck coaches and incompetent teachers as I have about entitled athletes. The lousy coaches and teachers don't diminish the value of teaching, but they do give it a black eye, just like a few idiot athletes who carry guns, smoke weed and beat their girlfriends, hurt the image of college sports.

You forgot one group of adults. Parents! Parents are their child's first teacher. Incompetent teachers/coaches come and go but a parents influence/training lasts a lifetime.

Reactions: perseverare
OP, I don't blame the jocks for what you describe. Usually it is the adults who create the culture of entitlement, not the kids.

I have as many stories about paycheck coaches and incompetent teachers as I have about entitled athletes. The lousy coaches and teachers don't diminish the value of teaching, but they do give it a black eye, just like a few idiot athletes who carry guns, smoke weed and beat their girlfriends, hurt the image of college sports..
For the most part I somewhat agree with your analysis of the positive impact of team sport participation. I would only observe, as the years rolled by and I have had opportunities to follow the ups and downs of my fellow classmates, I simply haven't noticed much of a difference between the life outcomes of those who were not athletes vs. those who were.

Yes, I have always supported ND Football, and will continue to do so. I am athletic myself. Athletics are important. However, I have never thought they make a person somehow better prepared for life than others. In any case, as a high school teacher for almost 44 years, I have been at war from time to time with the jockocracy at the high school level. The entitlement mentality and the entourage mentality is getting worse. In a post in response to the recent events of the ND 6 I expressed a strong desire that they all be removed from the team. And, we are all aware of controversies of this nature all over the country and in all sports, which seem to be increasing. To illustrate: I suggest taking some time to research the activities of the Bellevue School District (Bellevue, Washington St.) in relation to their football program over the last 10 years. They have won, I think, 10 state championships out of the past 12. So, how did they do it?? And, we wonder why college athletes act the way they do. For many of them they have been pampered for years. In a few days I am going to tell the story of a football player I had in class who went on to start at a Division 1 school (a major rival of ND).

By the way: I think it is ok to give the name of the school district since the problems there are a matter of the public record.

Please don't take this response as disrespectful. I started my career in the mortgage industry then when things busted I left FL and moved to Houston without a job to dive right into the medical business. Not scared one bit of whether I could make the transition or how many people told me it was impossible because of the stigma of people from that industry. Football taught

I think it's great that you have been involved with kids for 44 yrs. I completely disagree with you that sports especially football does not prepare you for life in the real world. I have to admit I was the HS football player you are referring too and even that way in college(ego was probably worse). College was a humbling experience just like the real world realilizing that you are replaceable , battling injuries and managing the classroom. There is no other place that teaches you more about life than a football team. I was never a great student very average but to this very day no one will out work me and I will never quit. That is because of football all the good and bad that comes with it.

Where in a classroom are you ever going to learn how to fight and persevere with the structure of the game I.E. Your Business?.....how your going to get the crap kicked out of you or loose your spot but to never quit and to push through pain? Where are you going to learn how to work with others and have loyalty to the people you work with other than football?

Just my perspective

Please don't take this response as disrespectful. I started my career in the mortgage industry then when things busted I left FL and moved to Houston without a job to dive right into the medical business. Not scared one bit of whether I could make the transition or how many people told me it was impossible because of the stigma of people from that industry. Football taught

I think it's great that you have been involved with kids for 44 yrs. I completely disagree with you that sports especially football does not prepare you for life in the real world. I have to admit I was the HS football player you are referring too and even that way in college(ego was probably worse). College was a humbling experience just like the real world realilizing that you are replaceable , battling injuries and managing the classroom. There is no other place that teaches you more about life than a football team. I was never a great student very average but to this very day no one will out work me and I will never quit. That is because of football all the good and bad that comes with it.

Where in a classroom are you ever going to learn how to fight and persevere with the structure of the game I.E. Your Business?.....how your going to get the crap kicked out of you or loose your spot but to never quit and to push through pain? Where are you going to learn how to work with others and have loyalty to the people you work with other than football?

Just my perspective
I don't disagree at all with your learned experience. I just have come to believe many of these same attributes can be acquired elsewhere; not just through sports in general or football in particular. In my years in the classroom I have seen numerous examples of young people struggling with adversity; and overcoming challenges; who have gone on in life, demonstrating the qualities of character you have talked about; and they were not athletes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT