ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest hire this offseason is not the DC it's the OC

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
Sanford is gone. He was the Kelly scapegoat. Kelly called 80%of the offense this season. Kelly is a terrible in game manager/coach. He does not make proper adjustments during the game.

ND needs a new OC or nothing will change at ND.

Reactions: cgaynor
Zorich...I think you're mistaken in asserting nothing will change... we will be much improved on defense under Elko, and our record will reflect this. That said, I agree that it would be beneficial if Kelly hands over the offense, but he's coaching for his coaching life, and I expect him to be even more hands on. He might carve out an OC role for Quinn, but that will get us a faster paced dominant passing game, and not the kind of running game most of us desperately want to see.

We need someone who understands red zone offense and a balanced attack.

Jeez, everyone get off their high horse with regards to spelling or grammar errors. Many people post from smart phones, and they all aren't easy to type on! Cut some slack!!

The one and ONLY compliment I can give Kelly is might be the top between the twenties play caller.

It's just those other little pesky intricacies of the game that ****ing elude him. If we score from outside the twenty...good good good. If we get tackled inside the twenty he makes it so ****ing adventurous.

He has no sense of feel.

The one and ONLY compliment I can give Kelly is might be the top between the twenties play caller.

It's just those other little pesky intricacies of the game that ****ing elude him. If we score from outside the twenty...good good good. If we get tackled inside the twenty he makes it so ****ing adventurous.

He has no sense of feel.

I kinda agree but the problem is the style of offense which basically means you have a problem with 90% of college football they all run the stupid Spread offense. When what they should do is watch the New England Patriots offense and run a spread hybrid. Basically the game calls for you to take snaps under center so do it. Or just stick to the pro style offense. Wether its a 1 or a 2 back system it makes no difference but being under center makes a huge difference. That being said our problem isn't necessarily on offense it was the defence most of the year.

Sanford is gone. He was the Kelly scapegoat. Kelly called 80%of the offense this season. Kelly is a terrible in game manager/coach. He does not make proper adjustments during the game.

Denbrock called the plays the last 2 years.

Reactions: raycyrx and Ara64
I do suck at spelling but this misspelling is on my iPhone. Auto correct changed the word.
That should have been obvious to all! The ones making an issue of this should apologize, not you.

The only person to get it right so far. Coach Denbrock not only drew up the game plan but called the plays with Coach Sanford offering suggestions. Coach Denbrock has been calling the plays since the LSU bowl game. 88 was so wrong that he even forgot that after firing VanGorder, Kelly moved to the defensive side of the ball for the rest of the season. The offense went from very good to very inconsistent after Kelly left the offense to help the defense. He created the mess on defense because of his failure to replace VanGorder. He created the mess on offense because he had to help straighten out a defense in shambles.

Last edited:
Reactions: raycyrx
The O will never significantly change under BK and Denbrock, so I respectfully disagree.

If ND '16 had even a mediocre D, they be playing in a bowl game in the next week or two. The offense had their blunders, but did enough to win 7 or 8 of the games, so I respectfully disagree again.

Wrong Pennick!

http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/brian-kelly-coy-wholl-call-notre-dames-plays-vs-texas

This is why ND is such a mess. Kelly can not make one sound decision. He didn't have the balls to name a qb. He is to prideful to hire a real OC because he does not want to get out shined.

Not one successful program functions like this. Having three guys calling the offense is plain out stupid and bush league. It equals a losing record.

Wrong Pennick!

http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/brian-kelly-coy-wholl-call-notre-dames-plays-vs-texas

This is why ND is such a mess. Kelly can not make one sound decision. He didn't have the balls to name a qb. He is to prideful to hire a real OC because he does not want to get out shined.

Not one successful program functions like this. Having three guys calling the offense is plain out stupid and bush league. It equals a losing record.
Again Denbrock called the plays. He had input from Sanford upstairs. The head coach can override any call. Find another thing to whine about

Again Denbrock called the plays. He had input from Sanford upstairs. The head coach can override any call. Find another thing to whine about

Kelly called the plays. Yes, two coaches gave input. However, Kelly ran the offense. Sanford ran the offense at Boise ST. It looked nothing like what we saw this season. All you have to do is look at how unbalanced the offense looks. Kelly never establishes a run game.

Reactions: cgaynor
Kelly called the plays. Yes, two coaches gave input. However, Kelly ran the offense. Sanford ran the offense at Boise ST. It looked nothing like what we saw this season. All you have to do is look at how unbalanced the offense looks. Kelly never establishes a run game.
You're nuts. Watch a game and it takes 2 minutes to figure Kelly wasn't calling plays. Denbrock called the plays with little input from Sanford in booth. Sanford was a qb coach with OC title.

You're nuts. Watch a game and it takes 2 minutes to figure Kelly wasn't calling plays. Denbrock called the plays with little input from Sanford in booth. Sanford was a qb coach with OC title.
Watch a game? I have watched every game Kelly has coached at ND. The offense has never changed. We all agree that Kelly called the offense the first 3-5 seasons. The offense the past two seasons has looked identical to the first 3-5 seasons. The same unbalanced and pitiful red zone play has never changed under Kelly. Does Denbrock have input? Of course he does. However, Kelly creates the game plan for the offense which equals Kelly is the OC.

Reactions: cgvr
Watch a game? I have watched every game Kelly has coached at ND. The offense has never changed. We all agree that Kelly called the offense the first 3-5 seasons. The offense the past two seasons has looked identical to the first 3-5 seasons. The same unbalanced and pitiful red zone play has never changed under Kelly. Does Denbrock have input? Of course he does. However, Kelly creates the game plan for the offense which equals Kelly is the OC.
So Kelly wasn't calling the plays. Glad we have clarified that.

"The biggest hire this offseason is not the DC it's the OC"

I would respectfully disagree with you on this -- the biggest hire may be the HC himself. Kelly needs to truly define who he wants to be and then do it.
2 things I think Kelly needs to do in the off season -- commit to being a more physical offensive team (really, when was the last time you heard a winning coach say that someone "out finessed them"), and then hire a S&C coach to execute on that plan -- and stick to it year after year (i.e. Stanford).

Regardless of who is the OC -- unless something earth shattering takes place, we all know full well who is going to be the play caller next fall.

Reactions: Telx1
Jack placed his own career at ND in Kelly's hands when he gave Kelly an outrageous extension last season. So, that means Kelly is not going anywhere. That's why I believe the hire of a real OC that will force Kelly to give up the offense is needed and is the #1 priority. We need a OC at ND that is proven and that will only come on one condition, if he has full reign of the offense. Kelly sucks as a game planner and play caller. Kelly has called the offense from day one. It is time for a change.

So Kelly wasn't calling the plays. Glad we have clarified that.
Pennick, you no nothing about football. That is evident in every post you make. Why do you post on any football boards? Just stick to simply watching the games, if you even do that. You are a Kelly apologist that has no problem with mediocrity at ND. If ND is lucky enough to win 8-9 games next year, you will be demanding that ND builds a statue of your hero Kelly. Kelly is one of the worst coaches ND has allowed to stay. He is no different than Bob, Charlie or Ty. Yes, he is a better recruiter than them. However, his teams end up with the same records on the field so what does it matter if he brings in more four star players? Also, another difference is his teams have way more off the field issues.

Pennick, you are the Kelly of all posters. You are arrogant like Kelly. Like Kelly, you never admit when your wrong. Like Kelly, you think you are the greatest thing around. However, like Kelly, you always get exposed for what you really are, a pretender.

Pennick, you no nothing about football. That is evident in every post you make. Why do you post on any football boards? Just stick to simply watching the games, if you even do that. You are a Kelly apologist that has no problem with mediocrity at ND. If ND is lucky enough to win 8-9 games next year, you will be demanding that ND builds a statue of your hero Kelly. Kelly is one of the worst coaches ND has allowed to stay. He is no different than Bob, Charlie or Ty. Yes, he is a better recruiter than them. However, his teams end up with the same records on the field so what does it matter if he brings in more four star players? Also, another difference is his teams have way more off the field issues.

Pennick, you are the Kelly of all posters. You are arrogant like Kelly. Like Kelly, you never admit when your wrong. Like Kelly, you think you are the greatest thing around. However, like Kelly, you always get exposed for what you really are, a pretender.

I could give Penick a little bit of respect if he at least spelled his hero's name correctly - he can't even get that basic thing right.

So you finally got convinced that Kelly hasn't been calling the plays. You are a what they call intellectually challenged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT