ADVERTISEMENT

The Replay

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Replayed this frame by frame, I focused only on the offense. I assume if you hold a team to 13 pts, you probably did OK.

I will say we have zero return game. Joseph cannot return a punt. There has to be someone on this team that can return punts.

We had 11 possessions. I really felt like most of you, TR called a bad game. Frame by frame tells a different story.

-We do NOT check out of plays. There were times that they should have checked out of a run. I dont know if thats a coaches call or a DP weakness.
-The run game was better than I thought against a 7-8 man front.
-Pyne locks on Mayer. I mean absolutely locks. They have to pull Mayer out of practice this week and force him to 2 other progressions first. The opening drive he had someone wide open on the right side but got his pass batted down going to mayer. 4th series JT was wide open and he forced to Mayer. 7th drive locks on Mayer and lenzy is wide open down field also Mitchell Evans further down field.
-Pyne just had a really bad game from accuracy. He missed wide open receivers on the 2nd (mayer), 3rd (TD to Lenzy), 5th (Lo) and 8th Tobias) possessions.

A few things that also didn't help:

The officials were pretty bad. First TD shot to Lo, the defender was pulling his left arm down. Mayers mystery hold, the missed hold on ND and the fumble that was overturned and clearly a fumble.

Fischer is still getting blown up on some pass plays, thats another area to look at.

There were also lots of RPO's that should have been pulled. IF your going to use the RPO offense, use it.

MF going for it on 4th down. Worked a few times but he needs to learn to live to fight another day. Take the points. Punt the ball. Dont beat yourself, its hard enought to win.

MF and TR get the blame for not beating it into DP to stop locking. They should shut down practice every time he does that.

DP had a terrible day and it cost us the game. He was throwing behind people, missing people and locking on people. He fumbled a few times, lost one. Everyone can have a bad game, but this was a horrid game. In the past when Coan had those, we could bring TB in to give him a breather and change the pace. We probably lose to Toledo, Purdue and VT if not for TB. This is DP's 3rd start, hopefully he shakes it off.

Bottom line from the reply TR had plays called that where there, DP did not execute them. That is a fact when you watch the replay. MF probably should stop talking about execution in pressers, he owns practicing it until execution is there.

Even as bad as DP was, the turn overs did us in. You could have had an ugly win if your clean on turn overs.

We need our QB to be at 60%+ to win. You cannot win at 48% and 2 TO's.

Replayed this frame by frame, I focused only on the offense. I assume if you hold a team to 13 pts, you probably did OK.

I will say we have zero return game. Joseph cannot return a punt. There has to be someone on this team that can return punts.

We had 11 possessions. I really felt like most of you, TR called a bad game. Frame by frame tells a different story.

-We do NOT check out of plays. There were times that they should have checked out of a run. I dont know if thats a coaches call or a DP weakness.
-Pyne locks on Mayer. I mean absolutely locks. They have to pull Mayer out of practice this week and force him to 2 other progressions first. The opening drive he had someone wide open on the right side but got his pass batted down going to mayer. 4th series JT was wide open and he forced to Mayer. 7th drive locks on Mayer and lenzy is wide open down field also Mitchell Evans further down field.
-Pyne just had a really bad game from accuracy. He missed wide open receivers on the 2nd (mayer), 3rd (TD to Lenzy), 5th (Lo) and 8th Tobias) possessions.

The officials were pretty bad. First TD shot to Lo, the defender was pulling his left arm down. Mayers mystery hold, the missed hold on ND and the fumble that was overturned and clearly a fumble.

Fischer is still getting blown up on some pass plays, thats another area to look at.

There were also lots of RPO's that should have been pulled. IF your going to use the RPO offense, use it.

MF going for it on 4th down. Worked a few times but he needs to learn to live to fight another day. Take the points. Punt the ball. Dont beat yourself, its hard enought to win.

MF and TR get the blame for not beating it into DP to stop locking. They should shut down practice every time he does that.

DP had a terrible day and it cost us the game. He was throwing behind people, missing people and locking on people. He fumbled a few times, lost one. Everyone can have a bad game, but this was a horrid game. In the past when Coan had those, we could bring TB in to give him a breather and change the pace. We probably lose to Toledo, Purdue and VT if not for TB. This is DP's 3rd start, hopefully he shakes it off.

Bottom line from the reply TR had plays called that where there, DP did not execute them. That is a fact when you watch the replay. MF probably should stop talking about execution in pressers, he owns practicing it until execution is there.

Even as bad as DP was, the turn overs did us in. You could have had an ugly win if your clean on turn overs.

Doesn’t matter. You don’t call NFL plays the entire game that do not fit for your personnel. I’m tired of people blaming kids that have limitations for bad play calling. This is not the NFL. Rees can’t get out of his own way. He outsmarts himself. He doesn’t belong at the college level. He’s not a teacher, he expects DP to make plays that he can’t make and he puts guys like Styles in positions that he’s not intended for. Not having Tobias in the game more all season and at the end the end of the game is inexcusable. Rees is just not doing well. Common sense plays like slants to Styles and post routes to Merriweather would work. Also, running Tyree up the middle in the first quarter was stupid. Averaging 5 yards a carry but you stop running the ball? Literally a HS coach could have called a better game.

Also, the DL is regressing with the same personnel. This is all coaching. The thing that changes is the COACHING.

Kizer regressed. Foskey regressed. It’s bad.

The penalties, lack of discipline, lack of execution, regression, all coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4-4-3 and tbone3114
Doesn’t matter. You don’t call NFL plays the entire game that do not fit for your personnel. I’m tired of people blaming kids that have limitations for bad play calling. This is not the NFL. Rees can’t get out of his own way. He outsmarts himself. He doesn’t belong at the college level. He’s not a teacher, he expects DP to make plays that he can’t make and he puts guys like Styles in positions that he’s not intended for. Not having Tobias in the game more all season and at the end the end of the game is inexcusable. Rees is just not doing well. Common sense plays like slants to Styles and post routes to Merriweather would work. Also, running Tyree up the middle in the first quarter was stupid. Averaging 5 yards a carry but you stop running the ball? Literally a HS coach could have called a better game.

Also, the DL is regressing with the same personnel. This is all coaching. The thing that changes is the COACHING.

Kizer regressed so badly that the NFL drafted him and he started for the Browns in his rookie year.

The regression narrative is bogus

I’d agree with many of your points.

in particular, despite less than stellar play, turnovers and some calls cost us a poorly coached and poorly played game

Very good video review

Reactions: ftnfan62
The solution to not returning punts is to let the other team score! How’s the kick return team doing?

Many many issues to dissect. The QB position is the main issue. Better play at that position and there is no doubt we would be discussing a 5-1 ND team. Plus I think one more thing should be mentioned. Why are they playing rotating backs? Is this to keep them all happy. If so, it’s not working. Start the best back and keep feeding him the ball. Backs usually get better as the game goes on. They get into a rhythm. Getting a breather is fine now and then. But splitting carries between three all game seems to hurt productivity rather than help.

Good analysis. That's a good point that last year, Coan had some bad games, but we could bring in TB as a change of pace and that helped us win several games. This year we don't have that luxury.

"Replayed this frame by frame,"

Once was enough -- and that was with a ton of booze in me -- cannot imagine watching that again

We need our QB to be at 60%+ to win. You cannot win at 48% and 2

Or go the old school non-hugging approach and have him run to the goalpost and back everytime he does it and then put Angeli in.

Or go the old school non-hugging approach and have him run to the goalpost and back everytime he does it and then put Angeli in.
Our big fat mean coach back when I was a kid called them "scenics". "Take a Scenic!"

Many many issues to dissect. The QB position is the main issue. Better play at that position and there is no doubt we would be discussing a 5-1 ND team. Plus I think one more thing should be mentioned. Why are they playing rotating backs? Is this to keep them all happy. If so, it’s not working. Start the best back and keep feeding him the ball. Backs usually get better as the game goes on. They get into a rhythm. Getting a breather is fine now and then. But splitting carries between three all game seems to hurt productivity rather than help.
I would really like to see them get Tyree to Slot. He isnt a juke back, he is a coverage nightmare guy at 4.3......You could have 3, legit 4.3 players on O out there....Agree with you.....let Audric and Diggs carry the load

Reactions: IrishMike409
"Replayed this frame by frame,"

Once was enough -- and that was with a ton of booze in me -- cannot imagine watching that again
I watched it 3 times!! In the last several years, one play a game was the difference in 1 loss seasons and 3-4 loss seasons. Our issue lies in our QB now. It was the line the first 3 games but that for the most part has evolved.

Good analysis. That's a good point that last year, Coan had some bad games, but we could bring in TB as a change of pace and that helped us win several games. This year we don't have that luxury.
No it did not. We almost lost games on account of TB playing as much as he did. And Jack Coan had to save the day vs both VTech, and against the MAC team we almost lost to. I don't remember the Toledo game details exactly, but TB nearly cost us the VT game and Jack Coan pulled it out.....

No it did not. We almost lost games on account of TB playing as much as he did. And Jack Coan had to save the day vs both VTech, and against the MAC team we almost lost to. I don't remember the Toledo game details exactly, but TB nearly cost us the VT game and Jack Coan pulled it out.....
What happened in both Toledo and Virginia Tech was the same. Coan was struggling and the offense wasn't doing much. So they brought in Buchner and he gave us a spark (threw TD passes in both games). Then he started struggling, so they put Coan back in, and he led us to the winning drives at the end. So it was a team effort between them.

What happened in both Toledo and Virginia Tech was the same. Coan was struggling and the offense wasn't doing much. So they brought in Buchner and he gave us a spark (threw TD passes in both games). Then he started struggling, so they put Coan back in, and he led us to the winning drives at the end. So it was a team effort between them.
I think that's wrong. TB played intermittently throughout the season. BK finally gave in to the haters and played his prize frosh and made sure to get him playing time, willy nilly, and sort of shoehorned him in there. Which is great, he's the coach and he can do what he wants.

But he was not inserted into various games because Coan was losing the game for us. It was just to get him snaps and minutes. All's I can say is Jack Coan was absolute money for us. I wish he could have stayed long for a covid year, if that was possible. He got pulled a couple times in the first half of the season when the OL was so shitty, and he probably shouldn't have been. They should have kept him vs Cincy and we probably would have come back and won.....

I think that's wrong. TB played intermittently throughout the season. BK finally gave in to the haters and played his prize frosh and made sure to get him playing time, willy nilly, and sort of shoehorned him in there. Which is great, he's the coach and he can do what he wants.

But he was not inserted into various games because Coan was losing the game for us. It was just to get him snaps and minutes. All's I can say is Jack Coan was absolute money for us. I wish he could have stayed long for a covid year, if that was possible. He got pulled a couple times in the first half of the season when the OL was so shitty, and he probably shouldn't have been. They should have kept him vs Cincy and we probably would have come back and won.....
No, it's right. Against Toledo, we were only winning 17-16 in the 4th quarter, and Buchner came in and threw a 55 yard TD pass to Tyree. Against VTech, we were down 10-0 after the 1st quarter, then Buchner went in and led us to two TD drives to take a 14-10 lead. Then he did poorly in the 3rd quarter, so they put Coan back in in the 4th, and he led us to a TD and a FG to win the game.

No, it's right. Against Toledo, we were only winning 17-16 in the 4th quarter, and Buchner came in and threw a 55 yard TD pass to Tyree. Against VTech, we were down 10-0 after the 1st quarter, then Buchner went in and led us to two TD drives to take a 14-10 lead. Then he did poorly in the 3rd quarter, so they put Coan back in in the 4th, and he led us to a TD and a FG to win the game.
I'll have to check on that. And I don't even know what we're arguing about. Jack Coan was our starting QB a year ago, not TB, and certainly not Drew Pyne. And he lead us on two separate game-winning TD drives in the waning minutes, when defeat seemed imminent. And we would have lost both without him....

And TB totally played throughout the season at various points for no apparent rhyme or reason that I could tell. Only time I remember Coan getting pulled for real was vs Cincy, and Drew Pyne was unable to get the win in the 2nd half as his replacement....

I was listening to a podcast, they were talking about how Rees is not giving the offense an identity last week vs BYU they were running more of a power running game which worked well. This week can Stanford featured empty back 13 personnel vs a much weaker defensive front.

I agree the run game was there, but Rees abandoned it much too early. Had he stuck with it, they would have worn the smaller stanford D down. Stanford stick with the run game. Their running back had 32 carries for 91 yards. low average/carry but they kept at it all game.

I agree regarding DP. He played a horrible game, missed several open receivers.

Another issue I have is the 3 rotation of backs. Look at the top tier teams, they either have 1 primary back with a 2nd back that comes in to spell the primary back, or they primarily rotate 2 backs. This rotating 3 backs is god awful. Play your 2 best backs or your feature your best back as your primary back.

Wrong. Buchner got us back into the ct game from a big deficit. Then he sputtered. Coan had sputtered earlier n Buchner was the savior. Coan then saved the day on the last drive. So what’s the point of this ? ND has had crap QBs. Never had one in all Kelly’s years that could carry a game. Closest might have been Kizer who had 1 good year in 2015

Wrong. Buchner got us back into the ct game from a big deficit. Then he sputtered. Coan had sputtered earlier n Buchner was the savior. Coan then saved the day on the last drive. So what’s the point of this ? ND has had crap QBs. Never had one in all Kelly’s years that could carry a game. Closest might have been Kizer who had 1 good year in 2015
It wasn't a big deficit, it was like 7 points or something. And quite frankly, they never should have pulled him, if that's even a fair way to characterize it. In any case, Buchner I believe threw 35 total passes on the season. While Coan threw for over 3000 yards for the year, and was absolutely THE MAN for us all year long, including two badass game-winning drives with the game on the line, on a team that finished fifth in the nation and was this frickin' close to a 3rd playoff bid in four years. And an only an idiot is going to figure out some way to try and diminish Jack Coan for god knows what reason.

You guys really are a piece of work. Just awful fans.....

It wasn't a big deficit, it was like 7 points or something. And quite frankly, they never should have pulled him, if that's even a fair way to characterize it. In any case, Buchner I believe threw 35 total passes on the season. While Coan threw for over 3000 yards for the year, and was absolutely THE MAN for us all year long, including two badass game-winning drives with the game on the line, on a team that finished fifth in the nation and was this frickin' close to a 3rd playoff bid in four years. And an only an idiot is going to figure out some way to try and diminish Jack Coan for god knows what reason.

You guys really are a piece of work. Just awful fans.....
And don't forget his 4 TD passes in the overtime victory against FSU. Only time, I believe, an ND QB has thrown four TD passes in an opener.

ND/FSU -- 2021

Reactions: savvyandsassier
No, Carl Erskine.

Amazing 12 to 6 curveball.

Ruined his arm, of course.
Erskine and Craig were starters. Clem was pure reliever.
You guys remember Karl Spooner? or Danny McDevitt?

Erskine and Craig were starters. Clem was pure reliever.
You guys remember Karl Spooner? or Danny McDevitt?
That's right.

I remember McDevitt. Also Joe Black and Preacher Roe. Maglie.

And I was and still am a YANKEE fan. But I remember those great Brooklyn Dodger teams. They had a kind of downhome CLASS.

That's right.

I remember McDevitt. Also Joe Black and Preacher Roe. Maglie.

And I was and still am a YANKEE fan. But I remember those great Brooklyn Dodger teams. They had a kind of downhome CLASS.
Sal had a couple great years in Brooklyn! I still remember his delivery! Big Newk! could not beat the Yanks! Johnny finally got it done!

Sal had a couple great years in Brooklyn! I still remember his delivery! Big Newk! could not beat the Yanks! Johnny finally got it done!
Damn, I forgot Newk. And, yes, Podres. Koufax and Drysdale were also up by then. Just barely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT