ADVERTISEMENT

Tarean? Malik? What's wrong?

MZ needs to throw with authority and get it going or Wim will be challenging him as backup.

Willams continues to show flashes - really like his speed and strength. He and Adams will be a great 1-2 punch next year, and he adds a reliable punch in the arm this year.

folston never scored much 2 years ago. great backs find the end zone. Adams seems banged up a bit but I think Kelly knows he is his #1 back. Williams is a good back too. As for MZ ? I would like to see some speed option with him . He had a tough go with no help today with the frosh wr's. still a good backup.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Once again, point production fell off dramatically with MZ in the game. IMO, he needs to settle into his back-up role and there is no shame being 2nd to DK. DK seemed to have an off day but still threw for two TDs and ran for another - that's seven TDs throwing and two rushing through two games in shared time.

Last edited:
MZ has to run north...not sideways. Needs a better pocket sense on blitzs too. And put some zip on his throws. He WILL be needed to win games!

Get Better!!!

Reactions: perseverare
MZ has to run north...not sideways. Needs a better pocket sense on blitzs too. And put some zip on his throws. He WILL be needed to win games!

Get Better!!!

he will be needed; I hope he regains him 'starter attitude' because he is important NOW.

^ good point. And like DK, he performs best under fire. I doubt there was much addreneline flowing after halftime.

Team is not hurt. This is who he is. Dependable. Reliable. Churns out yards and is excellent in protection. He's the type of back every team wants in their rotation. Adams is the big play guy... Folston helps you quietly win games.
I agree completely about Folston and his value,and I thought Malik did indeed look much slower. Was it because he played with a lot twos or what??

Reactions: africanzulu2
Mediocre blocking has made many backs look slow, historically.[smile] E.G. Jim Taylor with the Packers in '66 and with the Saints in '67. looked a lot slower in '67.

Reactions: africanzulu2
Tarean looks like he put on weight. He's not fast at all, but he looks to be more of a bruiser now. I like that we have 3 backs that all bring something different.

Energy in stadium was very low by the time Zaire came in the game and he had second and third team receivers to throw to. That said, he missed some open looks, made some poor reads, and is playing tentative. He is playing like a kid who is in a QB competition who is afraid to make a mistake versus letting it rip.

I thought Nevada was excellent in covering the edge. There was one play that MZ was sprinting to get the edge and there were a couple of defenders that converged on him for little or no gain. Our defense needs a lot of work in that area. None of us know what is in MZ's head. BK said that he doesn't care if Malik is mad. He just wants him prepared because he will get the call at some point. Nevada had their back ups in the game also, so that excuse can take a walk down a long dusty road. He might be pressing. He might be pressing because of his helicopter dad. He has the ability. He's a player. I'm damn glad he is at ND. There is an important role for him besides standing on the sideline. Get him involved somehow, some way. BK is the genius. He needs to come up with a plan to get Malik in as a contributor. Do not waste his talent.

Reactions: greengael
The chances are that MZ's days as the ND #1 QB are over. Kizer can go down with a season ending injury like MZ last year, but absent that, I just don't see MZ winning the job next year either, even assuming Kizer goes pro. Maybe not fair, and certainly a shame, but likely a sad truth. So I definitely agree that Kelly needs to find some creative ways to keep MZ's head in the game this season, in a role that goes way beyond mop up duty with second and third string players.

Once again, point production fell off dramatically with MZ in the game. IMO, he needs to settle into his back-up role and there is no shame being 2nd to DK. DK seemed to have an off day but still threw for two TDs and ran for another - that's seven TDs throwing and two rushing through two games in shared time.
Why should he settle in a back up role when he can be the starter. The difference between him and kizer is the offense is set for Kizer. This notion that he is better than Zaire is nonsense. If you go back to watch both games you will see that they offense is designed for Kizer skill set and he has been comfortable running it for a year where Zaire had a different offense to run that met his skill set. So i think its a unfair assessment about Zaire abilities. He has to continue to adjust his mindset to this offense and run it. We all know he can sling it and run it better than what we have seen. So we will see Zaire improvement as the year goes on.
also when Zaire got in the first series he ran with the first team and they scored. The rest of the game were second and third stringers who either dropped balls didnt know where they were going or missed blocking assignments.
I bet you kizer wouldn't of had much success with that core of student athletes.

Reactions: greengael
Stop with the second and third stringers. Nevada had their 2nd stringers in too. No excuses. You perform. You find a way, whether it be with the first stringers against Texas or with the 2nd stringers against Nevada. Kizer won the job. I feel for MZ and I really love him as a Domer. I know he works very hard. I think most of us feel that way. But, DK is one of the best college QBs in the nation. It can't be denied. If MZ can't keep his head in the game as a back up to DK, then BW moves up IMHO. They are trying to win games here. Not give out participation trophies. The trouble with finding a contributing position for MZ is the injury factor. As BK can't risk injury to DK, the same applies to MZ. On a side note, we need to work on our snaps back to the holder. A couple of them were close to ground balls.

Why should he settle in a back up role when he can be the starter. The difference between him and kizer is the offense is set for Kizer. This notion that he is better than Zaire is nonsense. If you go back to watch both games you will see that they offense is designed for Kizer skill set and he has been comfortable running it for a year where Zaire had a different offense to run that met his skill set. So i think its a unfair assessment about Zaire abilities. He has to continue to adjust his mindset to this offense and run it. We all know he can sling it and run it better than what we have seen. So we will see Zaire improvement as the year goes on.
also when Zaire got in the first series he ran with the first team and they scored. The rest of the game were second and third stringers who either dropped balls didnt know where they were going or missed blocking assignments.
I bet you kizer wouldn't of had much success with that core of student athletes.
It's just my opinion - you have your opinion and it's different than mine. I like the offense that Kizer is running and believe ND should keep running it with Kizer as the starter.

Our opinions don't matter in the grand scheme and we can just watch it played out on Saturdays. I am in no way knocking Zaire - I just believe ND has the best QB in CFB with Kizer.

Mr. Z

As far as we have been told both QB's have access to the full playbook and both run the sane offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT