ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
ND did an excellent job with the new stadium. Top notch facilities, seats are no longer built for an 8 year old boy and the stadium style art with giant game tickets, statues and signage is beautiful.

The video board and how they tied in ND history was perfect. The sound was amazing as well.

Look is stunning inside and out. Really is now one of the best stadiums in the country.

Heard the same thing as #1 from several who were there - that the sound system is amazing.

Hadn't heard much about those upgrades, but a 5 year old was complaining it was too loud, so I like it!

Seats, no longer benches?

I'll be there next week and look forward to seeing it.

Seats, no longer benches?

I'll be there next week and look forward to seeing it.
Still benches, but vinyl clad aluminum instead of cedar, and a few more inches per butt. The lower bowl used to be very uncomfortably tight, especially late in the season when clothing gets heavier. People were much smaller, on average, in 1930.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Stadium looked great. I'll be at the UGA game to see her again first hand.

A victory over the Dawgs would be a great start for a turnaround season.

Go Irish!

ND did an excellent job with the new stadium. Top notch facilities, seats are no longer built for an 8 year old boy and the stadium style art with giant game tickets, statues and signage is beautiful.

The video board and how they tied in ND history was perfect. The sound was amazing as well.

Look is stunning inside and out. Really is now one of the best stadiums in the country.

What about the kiss-cam?? I know 78 was anxious to see it in action!!

On a serious note -- from the TV views, it looked amazing. Can't wait to see it live.

The Jumbo was done in complete perfection. Live action, replays, crowd shots, student section shots, the band performing, "Great Moments in ND football History", "Irish players in the NFL", the words for the Star Spangled Banner sprawled across the board during the playing, promos for the school itself, the on screen build up of the team entering the stadium, tunnel shots, and my favorite.....live camera in the locker room showing the team saying their pre-game prayer, much like the scene from "Rudy". All in all, I rate it a sold A+ and this is coming from an old guy.

I love the visitors tunnel too.
Have to line up next to each other.
Lmao! Absolutely great.
Kind of prevents a team from storming our field. Has to take some steam away on their entrance.

The scoreboard removal in front of touchdown Jesus was huge for me too.

Little off topic. With all this new construction, how's the immediate area outside? Read on a real estate site developers investing & buying up blocks?

One thing I didn't mention was Officer Tim McCarthy's driving safety message. It was read on the Jumbo by Joe Theisman. I want to think that every home game, a former Irish great will read one of Officer McCarthy's words of wisdom.

Little off topic. With all this new construction, how's the immediate area outside? Read on a real estate site developers investing & buying up blocks?
The area south of campus (Angela Blvd) has developed into nice shops and parking garage. North of campus, ND has changed the configuration of Juniper and surrounding streets. As far as neighborhoods go, areas I go through look good. Other areas on 933 / 31 , north of campus look rough at spots. The old Holiday Inn which housed the Gipper Lounge for many years is now rubble. Incomplete picture I know, but I hope it answered your question in some fashion.

Looks great all around and there are new very nice homes going in. Even the downtown is coming back but few go there after the game on Sunday. Friday was a good crowd.

Maybe ND will add another 5k students and keep it growing.

Has anything taken over the space where the College Football HOF use to be or is it vacant?

Looks great all around and there are new very nice homes going in. Even the downtown is coming back but few go there after the game on Sunday. Friday was a good crowd.

Maybe ND will add another 5k students and keep it growing.
In the last 40 years it went from 6,500 to 8,000. You or I won't live to see 5,000 more.

Sorry to bump one last time, but for those not at the game i forgot to mention the coolest thing about the new Jumbo Tron. They showed the team prayer before the game live....it was so inspiring as the entire stadium recited our father with the team. I hope they continue that....you felt like you were part of the team....

I miss the trough's in the mens bathrooms though lol. I actually had to wait in line to use the restroom, and there was not line in the ladies bathroom. At least they are still gender assigned!

Reactions: TOMMY_23
I miss the trough's in the mens bathrooms though lol. I actually had to wait in line to use the restroom, and there was not line in the ladies bathroom. At least they are still gender assigned!
I have never understood guys who complain about troughs in men's rooms. No more efficient way to keep people moving through and avoid long lines. Are the younger generations more shy about joint peeing?

I have never understood guys who complain about troughs in men's rooms. No more efficient way to keep people moving through and avoid long lines. Are the younger generations more shy about joint peeing?
I would think it's better for water conservation also? Heck, if I known they were pulling them I would have gotten them out of the trash and put it in my mancave/garage!

few tidbits.....
- Video board is actually the very highest resolution available. Better HD quality than any other video screen out there. Fact.
- the ribbon boards around the stadium bowl also add to the quality of the stadium experience.
- construction in and around the stadium is booming. Nuclear blast booming. Additional hotels, restaurants, condos and residences popping up left and right. On campus, more new buildings - academic and football - are planned.
- The removal of several rows of seats near the beginning of the "new" bowl to create a small concourse around the stadium was brilliant. Much easier to get around up there.
- Losing the rows of seats above, as well as widening of the existing seats, and putting both bands in the stands now, cost us some capacity. Coupled with the addition of the suite areas and seats up there, I believe our "official" capacity hovers somewhere in the neighborhood of 78K-79K instead of our old capacity of 80K+. Well worth it IMO though.

Reactions: sluggo69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT