ADVERTISEMENT

Spring football : Quarterback development critical

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
I can't wait for spring football to begin and see what Leadership qualities Brandon Wimbush has. There is no one that will take his job. That should make him relax and work on gelling with his team mates and Leading the offense. It should also help him relax knowing he has a great Oline, great running backs and great receivers. The TEAM will all know he is a first time starter and know that they need to make plays to help him out. The coaching staff has to work their butts off to help the young QB develop the mental skills necessary to withstand the pressures of playing a tough schedule that ND always plays. I believe Tommy Rees will be an excellent voice in Brandons ear after Kelly and Long get on Brandon. Tommy will tell him to roll with the punches and to learn the playbook inside and out. The Irish have a boatload of playmakers so Brandon just has to get them the ball so they can make plays and he has the strong arm to keep defenses honest by going deep once in a while. The number one thing I want to see out of Brandon this year is a lack of turnovers followed by good leadership and knowing when to throw the ball away before taking a sack or int and to run the ball well but to slide or run out of bounds so as not to risk injury or fumbles. What say you Irish fans??? !!

Reactions: Ara64
Will the offensive staff try and limit BW's carries because of the inexperienced situation behind him. Or, does the staff say the hell with it and run the offense as intended with BW running and passing with no limits?

Reactions: Bodizephax
You never know for sure what you have in a QB until they play on Saturday, but everything suggests that Brandon is primed for his. long seems intent on speeding up play, simplifying jargon, increasing the roles of the TE and RB in the passing game, and reducing the load Kelly traditionally puts on the QB...changes that should benefit Brandon. I think the extent of his success and ability to limit turnovers as you suggests, will largely depend on the play of our OL, which significantly underperformed expectations last year. If they play physical football with an attitude and establish a strong running game, I expect Brandon to have a great season running Long's offense. If they consistently put him in third and long situations, then his playing inexperience will likely lead to mistakes which only add to the pressure. I expect S&C, and a burning desire to win after last year's debacle, will give us the kind of OL play that will make Brandon an instant success.

Chip Long will lean on Adams, Williams and Jones and throw verts to St. Brown, Stepherson and Jones. Expect a lot less "check with me" set up pre-snap and a lot more tempo with RPO's built in. They're not going to ask Wimbush to make a million reads. Hand the ball off if the numbers in the box dictate doing so, pull it and and throw a wide receiver screens or short route if the box is loaded and you have a numbers advantage on the perimeter. 9 routes and fades to the speedy outside receivers and jump balls and rub routes in the red zone.

Long runs a very aggressive offense that utilizes the principles Kelly already has in place, but with more vertical runs and a lot more tempo.

This offense should see 2-3 backs rotating frequently, as they aim to run 80+ plays... Same can be said of tight ends.

Chip Long will lean on Adams, Williams and Jones and throw verts to St. Brown, Stepherson and Jones. Expect a lot less "check with me" set up pre-snap and a lot more tempo with RPO's built in. They're not going to ask Wimbush to make a million reads. Hand the ball off if the numbers in the box dictate doing so, pull it and and throw a wide receiver screens or short route if the box is loaded and you have a numbers advantage on the perimeter. 9 routes and fades to the speedy outside receivers and jump balls and rub routes in the red zone.

Long runs a very aggressive offense that utilizes the principles Kelly already has in place, but with more vertical runs and a lot more tempo.

This offense should see 2-3 backs rotating frequently, as they aim to run 80+ plays... Same can be said of tight ends.

I really REALLY hope this actually gets implemented

Something along those lines (not all that different from Ohio State's offense) is what I think plays best to our strengths

We need to lean on the run game, the OL, the TE's, and let the running ability of the QB add a dimension to the offense........all while running a quick, fairly simple offense

Overly complex, true "Pro-Style" offenses or Air-Raids sacrifice far too much, imo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT