ADVERTISEMENT

So classicirish and ndsmc78 said.....

end_23

ND Expert
May 23, 2015
Jaco, Costa Rica
that ND is an academics first kind of school and grads like them will always keep it that way, i.e. football will forever be on the back burner.

Okay.

Notre Dame lost to Northwestern two years ago, lost to Duke this year, Navy today, and two years in a row to Stanford. What gives fellas?

Reactions: ohio1980
if you want to have fun, go back about a year and look at the posts from some of the regular and (too) frequent posters on this board. I won't call them out by name but their opinions, predictions and overall sense of ND's standing in CFB is wildly wrong. The OP's point is a good one: Duke, Navy, Stanford, NW all take ND to the wood shed. The academic card cannot be played against the likes of those schools.

Reactions: ohio1980
Under Hesburgh, in 1952, there was a decided shift in emphasis to academics. Hesburgh always felt that was the principal mission of a great college. Exit Leahy. That is what he wanted and what in time was attained. The landscape has changed dramatically since then and since Ara. I believe a balance can be created with some adjustments to entrance HS core curriculum and a new academic pathway for special needs students. This does not mean the standards need to be lowered, but adjusted for a special need student. Harvard, Yale and some other top 10 schools have these considerations. Granted not for athletics, but why not? Why not a very limited, special needs pathway to graduation for students who add to the social and academic climate of the University? That should be the discussion of the Administration and how this might be incorporated into the school environment. It can be done, if people are open minded.

Under Hesburgh, in 1952, there was a decided shift in emphasis to academics. Hesburgh always felt that was the principal mission of a great college. Exit Leahy. That is what he wanted and what in time was attained. The landscape has changed dramatically since then and since Ara. I believe a balance can be created with some adjustments to entrance HS core curriculum and a new academic pathway for special needs students. This does not mean the standards need to be lowered, but adjusted for a special need student. Harvard, Yale and some other top 10 schools have these considerations. Granted not for athletics, but why not? Why not a very limited, special needs pathway to graduation for students who add to the social and academic climate of the University? That should be the discussion of the Administration and how this might be incorporated into the school environment. It can be done, if people are open minded.
A special lower level academic program to cater to athletes? Google Jan Kemp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT