ADVERTISEMENT

Say Goodbye to Five Star Recruits!

The scenario you describe would be the end of Notre Dame football. We would never pay kids bonuses like that.
Most athletic departments that have football and men's basketball teams of consequence right now are bringing in quarter of a billion dollars a year in revenue. If these athletic departments were businesses they would be multibillion-dollar enterprises.

this doesn't even touch on all of the free advertising that these athletic departments are generating for the University.

a bidding war once a year for the nation's very elite prospects would easily get into the 8 figures and it would be chump change based on the revenues and profits that are being generated.

If Notre Dame is too stupid to not join the party and continue to reap all the benefits from their sports teams then they would just be biting off their nose to spite their face

Last edited:
Most athletic departments that have football and men's basketball teams of consequence right now are bringing in quarter of a billion dollars a year in revenue. If these athletic departments were businesses they would be multibillion-dollar enterprises.

a bidding war once a year for the nation's very elite prospects would easily get into the 8 figures and it would be chump change based on the revenues and profits that are being generated.

If Notre Dame is too stupid to join the party and keep the cash cow and free billboard that the sports teams provide for the University then they would just be fighting off their nose to spite their face

You can call it stupid, but that is the reality of the situation. ND's annual endowment is in the billions. I think ND will end up just fine.

Reactions: 88ND

Yeah, but most of that money goes to fund 20-30 sports in whole. From a school's perspective, the effort a field hockey or tennis player puts in is just as important as the effort a football or basketball player puts in. Students understand this when they opt to play in college. For those who consider this a bad deal, they should skip college and focus on playing professionally ASAP.

Reactions: 8th Man and d1042
We already have paid football: it is called the NFL!
college football is dying a slow death.
A lot of high schools have dropped football, a lack of interest in becoming brain damaged.

where they going? Mexico?
Watch Mexico build a wall to keep Americans out!
A couple years ago my wife and I are walking on the beach in Imperial Beach toward the border, which at that point in the Tijuana River spilling its sewage into the Pacific. There are helicopters up above you 100% of the time, taking shifts. One comes over, one leaves. My wife mentions that it's kind of uncomfortable that they are hovering over you watching you. I tell her not to worry, there is no concern at all with someone walking south on this beach. Walking north, a different story.

A couple years ago my wife and I are walking on the beach in Imperial Beach toward the border, which at that point in the Tijuana River spilling its sewage into the Pacific. There are helicopters up above you 100% of the time, taking shifts. One comes over, one leaves. My wife mentions that it's kind of uncomfortable that they are hovering over you watching you. I tell her not to worry, there is no concern at all with someone walking south on this beach. Walking north, a different story.
I was stationed in Coronado during UH2 squadron traning I know the area very well.
We flew there all the time.

shouldnt he figure out the homeless problem first or at least clean up the shit on the streets
Why? An athlete like an actor or singer should be allowed an agent and allowed to make money off their name through endorsements. Sick of communism acts like this.

Mark Emmert is correct

I am paid a wage for sevice rendered
College athletes are given an education

My company benefits from my hard work as do universities from the athletes

I do a great job i get a bonous
College athletes get into the playoffs and the benefits of it

Leave it to California to screw things up again
No real American would agree with any of this. You need to consider China or Russia if this is the type of society you want to live in.

It is not mandatory for any school to be a member of the NCAA. But if you choose to be a member, you agree to abide by the rules. The rules are what they are.

And, as someone said above, with all the problems in California it's amazing that they'd use their the time to deal with this issue, an issue that has zero impact on 99.99% of the population of the state.
Commy gonna commy. In a America we believe in free market capitalism take your commy thoughts somewhere else.

Why? An athlete like an actor or singer should be allowed an agent and allowed to make money off their name through endorsements. Sick of communism acts like this.
I think this might be something we actually agree on, with all the money that the school makes 8ff of these athletes they absolutely deserve to get some of it back.

Ok free market it is then they can each pay for their own room and board, meals, books, tuition, computers, transpoation, ect, ect, ect

Reactions: Pennick4
Ok free market it is then they can each pay for their own room and board, meals, books, tuition, computers, transpoation, ect, ect, ect
Actually what you are advocating is a one size fits all market the Free market doesnt work that way.
If an alumni wants to pay you a salary and your tution to attend his school because he wants you there then that should be all good. Im for taking away scholarships and letting the bidding war commence. I think it would be awesome.

It is not mandatory for any school to be a member of the NCAA. But if you choose to be a member, you agree to abide by the rules. The rules are what they are.

And, as someone said above, with all the problems in California it's amazing that they'd use their the time to deal with this issue, an issue that has zero impact on 99.99% of the population of the state.
CA always passes trendy go lucky laws and never address real issues and problems.

It's all a popularity contest for that fukced up state.

Athletes are already allowed to get agents and make money via endorsements. They just have to wait until they leave school. That doesn't seem too burdensome.

Actually what you are advocating is a one size fits all market the Free market doesnt work that way.
If an alumni wants to pay you a salary and your tution to attend his school because he wants you there then that should be all good. Im for taking away scholarships and letting the bidding war commence. I think it would be awesome.

Sounds like SMU
The have and have not's
So alums will be the owners of the program?
That means they are going to want a piece of the profits or would this be considered charity and then they could write it off?
Why limited a scholarships to 80?
Yes this is amateur sports at its finest

Yep and the illegals are arriving in droves
Actually California is seeing its lower income workers leave the state and higher educated wage earners are coming in. I dont know what state doesnt want to replace their low educated work force with a higher skilled one. Also you can thank Trump for the sped up migration. Capping SALT deductions at 10k forced many middle income people to flee New York and CA for places like Arizona and Texas.

Reactions: 8th Man
Actually California is seeing its lower income workers leave the state and higher educated wage earners are coming in. I dont know what state doesnt want to replace their low educated work force with a higher skilled one. Also you can thank Trump for the sped up migration. Capping SALT deductions at 10k forced many middle income people to flee New York and CA for places like Arizona and Texas.
Only to turn those states into a train wreck.
Btw you don't know the low income workers are leaving beacuse they are unaccounted for.
Why should they be able to write off their state taxes?
Why should other states pay for that?
Why don't those states just lower their taxes and keep their people there?

Reactions: Pennick4

Couldn't possibly be the Homeless Invasion shitting in their streets could it ?

Only to turn those states into a train wreck.
Btw you don't know the low income workers are leaving beacuse they are unaccounted for.
Why should they be able to write off their state taxes?
Why should other states pay for that?
Why don't those states just lower their taxes and keep their people there?
California has always been a donor state. That means the state pays more fed tex than it recieves in federal aid. So take your argument up with Southern states who prodimently dont pay their fair share.

non athlete students on full scholarship are not denied any opportunity to generate income. a music major for example can perform for compensation anywhere, anytime and it does not effect their scholarship standing at all. football players are pretty much on campus 12 months a year. conferences are getting billion dollar tv contracts and forming their own networks primarily because of football. they don't deserve an opportunity to generate income too ? they are not allowed to work during their season and when would they have time too anyway. the off season provides very little employment time also an they are discouraged from it anyway. Stipends are the way to go in my opinion and could have been addressed many times over the years. the inaction on those opportunities over the years has directly led to what we are now seeing in California.
That's not true.

They already get a stipend so what you mean is more.

It won't end with it being more.

Once you go down this road and give people a voice that never should have a voice they don't just talk but grab the megaphone and scream it.

This is exactly what will happen.

The stipend increases but to what dollar?

After that you will still have the me first crowd saying I should get more than player x.

I won the Heisman as a sophomore and can't go pro so I should get a lot more than the 3rd string nose tackle.

As amateurs it's absolutely impossible to quantify the pay.

They're not professional athletes.

The NCAA tries hard (at least they talk the talk) tries hard to keep things somewhat fair and balanced.

A signed Trevor Lawrence would fetch more than a Justyn Ross signed jersey.

Mr. Lawrence would not have that stature all by himself. He's got some very good receivers helping his cause.

What about his left tackle. The guy who helps keep him alive.

Do you know who he even is without looking? Don't worry, most don't either.

If you give them more, they will only want more.

This mess will never go away and the more you give and allow the louder the wheel will squeak.

Most players in D1 college football don't go pro.

In other words they better put a higher emphasis on their education than football.

This who mess is nothing but a huge can of worms.

Next you'll have players bitching because a Notre Dame education is more valuable than a West Virginia one and they want compensation for that too in some weird ass lawyer way.

If they want compensation then keep the nose clean, pick your studies wisely and play hard utilizing the facilites and resources around you.

If the stars align for you perhaps you may get drafted and if you're really fortunate drafted very high.

If not you just received a degree from a very prestigious university free of charge the entire way.

Choose your school wisely and do your best in the classroom and the football field.

If you do the above you'll be well compensated either using your expensive degree or using your ability on the gridiron.

Reactions: francade
Couldn't possibly be the Homeless Invasion shitting in their streets could it ?
Been in LA for 17 years on the whole LA has gotten better. Crime areas like Silver Lake and Echo Park have gone from pretty rough to livable. Homeless is more than one issue, mental facilities, halfway houses and the opiod crisis, ect.. all play roles plus they choose Cali because the weather and social services they it can provide.

Athletes are already allowed to get agents and make money via endorsements. They just have to wait until they leave school. That doesn't seem too burdensome.
College cost athletes millions in lost revenue every year. A highly touted recruit could fetch 7 figure salaries from alumni a year. Players like Johnny Football and Tim Tebow lost millions in college because they werent allowed endorsements, public appearances, autograph sessions, booster payments because they were banned from the free market.
Zion lost a tens of million because he could sign a shoe contract or make millions on public appearances fees. Truly an oppressive and anti american system.

Are you for real, you are joking right, you really don't expect folks here to believe that crap. According to the tax policy center only 6.3 percent of the taxpayers would have a higher tax liability, 65 percent would pay less, but according to you they are leaving because of Trumps salt deductions. How about the high cost of living, price of gas, high housing costs, property taxes, state income tax, sales tax etc. I really like your statement on replacing the low educated work force. Let me enlighten your dumb ass the majority of these folks are the ones who fight our wars. You should be ashamed of yourself. Out

Are you for real, you are joking right, you really don't expect folks here to believe that crap. According to the tax policy center only 6.3 percent of the taxpayers would have a higher tax liability, 65 percent would pay less, but according to you they are leaving because of Trumps salt deductions. How about the high cost of living, price of gas, high housing costs, property taxes, state income tax, sales tax etc. I really like your statement on replacing the low educated work force. Let me enlighten your dumb ass the majority of these folks are the ones who fight our wars. You should be ashamed of yourself. Out
Facts dont care about your feelings:
The cap on state and local tax (SALT) deductions has already begun to drivesome residents away from high-tax states like New York and New Jersey, but experts say that trend is only going to intensify.

“It took a few months for taxpayers to realize the dollar implications – until they actually filed their tax returns this year,” Alan Goldenberg, a principal at Friedman LLP, told FOX Business. “It quantified the impact of the loss of the SALT deduction when people saw it in front of their eyes on their tax return.”

As of Jan. 31 2015, there were close to 1.4 million people serving in the U.S. armed forces, according to the latest numbers from the Defense Manpower Data Center, a body of the Department of Defense. That means that 0.4 percent of the American population is active military personnel.

The cap on state and local tax (SALT) deductions has already begun to drivesome residents away from high-tax states like New York and New Jersey, but experts say that trend is only going to intensify.

“It took a few months for taxpayers to realize the dollar implications – until they actually filed their tax returns this year,” Alan Goldenberg, a principal at Friedman LLP, told FOX Business. “It quantified the impact of the loss of the SALT deduction when people saw it in front of their eyes on their tax return.”

As of Jan. 31 2015, there were close to 1.4 million people serving in the U.S. armed forces, according to the latest numbers from the Defense Manpower Data Center, a body of the Department of Defense. That means that 0.4 percent of the American population is active military personnel.
Please....

There has been white flight going on in those two states, (the entire northeast really) for decades.

Jersey? A lot of Jersey is the real asshole of the east coast. If they left ...they were going to be leaving regardless.

New York isn't far behind. Philly, Pittsburgh Baltimore....people have been fleeing those areas for years.

Better climate and more often than not better neighborhoods.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

AGAIN
Why should the state that don't get to write their state taxes off pay the bill for those that used to?
States that had SALT tax exemptions should lower their state taxes and be more responsible

Reactions: tbonesays
Please....

There has been white flight going on in those two states, (the entire northeast really) for decades.

Jersey? A lot of Jersey is the real asshole of the east coast. If they left ...they were going to be leaving regardless.

New York isn't far behind. Philly, Pittsburgh Baltimore....people have been fleeing those areas for years.

Better climate and more often than not better neighborhoods.
Agree

Yeah, but most of that money goes to fund 20-30 sports in whole. From a school's perspective, the effort a field hockey or tennis player puts in is just as important as the effort a football or basketball player puts in. Students understand this when they opt to play in college. For those who consider this a bad deal, they should skip college and focus on playing professionally ASAP.
And in some sports they can.

ND makes $$$ in
Football

Then a distant second, third etc
|
|
|
|
|

Ice hockey
Basketball

The rest are all carried by football as well as salaries, for faculty,
Equipment like microscopes, ultra sound and MRI machines...

Football revenue brought in collectively....collectively mind you

Could fund some third world nations

California has always been a donor state. That means the state pays more fed tex than it recieves in federal aid. So take your argument up with Southern states who prodimently dont pay their fair share.

That's because the map was drawn around an area that has great weather and beautiful coastline where rich people want to live. Fine it's a free country. But said rich people pass laws to beat down the middle class and buy support from the poor. That's why they are fleeing into arid Nevada and Arizona to a government that supports regular people.

There is no minor league sport that draws viewers like College sports. People support the school not the individual players. If they wish to partake they can play by the school rules.

Well see how Californians like it when their schools aren't allowed to compete in the NCAA. Why play USC and Stanford if the games don't count?

has California unofficially seceded from the USA?

Now we know were the Love Canal cleanup stuff was dumped!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT