ADVERTISEMENT

Say Goodbye to Five Star Recruits!

NCAA has already threatened them with expulsion.

And think how far the SEC states will go!

Time for the Indiana Legislators to do something! (Okay, this will take time... But I see this becoming a reality throughout college sports. The Universities won't have to pay...)

NCAA will fight it: "N.C.A.A. president, Mark Emmert, in a letter to California legislators this summer — paint a doomsday scenario for the state’s athletic teams if the bill becomes law. They say that colleges in California could be prohibited from competing for N.C.A.A. championships because they would have an unfair recruiting advantage — being able to lure athletes with the possibility of cashing in on anything from jersey sales to sponsorship deals."

Reactions: 88ND
Time for the Indiana Legislators to do something! (Okay, this will take time... But I see this becoming a reality throughout college sports. The Universities won't have to pay...)

NCAA will fight it: "N.C.A.A. president, Mark Emmert, in a letter to California legislators this summer — paint a doomsday scenario for the state’s athletic teams if the bill becomes law. They say that colleges in California could be prohibited from competing for N.C.A.A. championships because they would have an unfair recruiting advantage — being able to lure athletes with the possibility of cashing in on anything from jersey sales to sponsorship deals."
Mark Emmert is correct

I am paid a wage for sevice rendered
College athletes are given an education

My company benefits from my hard work as do universities from the athletes

I do a great job i get a bonous
College athletes get into the playoffs and the benefits of it

Leave it to California to screw things up again

It is not mandatory for any school to be a member of the NCAA. But if you choose to be a member, you agree to abide by the rules. The rules are what they are.

And, as someone said above, with all the problems in California it's amazing that they'd use their the time to deal with this issue, an issue that has zero impact on 99.99% of the population of the state.

Reactions: d1042
Mark Emmert is correct

I am paid a wage for sevice rendered
College athletes are given an education

My company benefits from my hard work as do universities from the athletes

I do a great job i get a bonous
College athletes get into the playoffs and the benefits of it

Leave it to California to screw things up again
disagree completely. Bravo to California. The NCAA has only themselves to blame. they should have been out front of this issue decades ago.

If this passes the NCAA will either allow it for everyone or make every team with a player that receives benefits ineligible.

Ok no scholarships recruit players on their worth to endorse themselves.
Can't have it both ways
i and many others i network with have been working behind the scenes for years on the idea of monthly stipends for athletes or if not giving them the opportunity to benefit off their likeness, signature etc. other students on full scholarship are not denied the opportunity to benefit from their likeness, skill set etc. why are athletes being treated differently ?

Reactions: TXND30
Do you think the service rendered by Trevor Lawrence is equivalent in value to the service rendered by the backup punter for New Mexico State? Because currently, each is compensated the same for their services (assuming the punter is on scholarship) with no ability to negotiate. That's a very Marxist opinion.

ND players, being students at a University with a national brand, would benefit quite a bit from this.

Do you think the service rendered by Trevor Lawrence is equivalent in value to the service rendered by the backup punter for New Mexico State? Because currently, each is compensated the same for their services (assuming the punter is on scholarship) with no ability to negotiate. That's a very Marxist opinion.

ND players, being students at a University with a national brand, would benefit quite a bit from this.
Nothing Marxist about it. No guns to anyones head

Reactions: Pennick4
i and many others i network with have been working behind the scenes for years on the idea of monthly stipends for athletes or if not giving them the opportunity to benefit off their likeness, signature etc. other students on full scholarship are not denied the opportunity to benefit from their likeness, skill set etc. why are athletes being treated differently ?
Such as?

California is now the world's 5th largest economy... We like our state, thank you very very much...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...5th-largest-economy-beating-out-uk/583508002/
Lmfao
How much debit is California in?
Government Debt.
According to a January 2017 study, “California state and local governments owe $1.3 trillion as of June 30, 2015.” The study was based on “a review of federal, state and local financial disclosures.” In other words, that $1.3 trillion in debt is the amount to which California governments admit.

Reactions: 88ND
non athlete students on full scholarship are not denied any opportunity to generate income. a music major for example can perform for compensation anywhere, anytime and it does not effect their scholarship standing at all. football players are pretty much on campus 12 months a year. conferences are getting billion dollar tv contracts and forming their own networks primarily because of football. they don't deserve an opportunity to generate income too ? they are not allowed to work during their season and when would they have time too anyway. the off season provides very little employment time also an they are discouraged from it anyway. Stipends are the way to go in my opinion and could have been addressed many times over the years. the inaction on those opportunities over the years has directly led to what we are now seeing in California.

Lmfao
How much debit is California in?
Government Debt.
According to a January 2017 study, “California state and local governments owe $1.3 trillion as of June 30, 2015.” The study was based on “a review of federal, state and local financial disclosures.” In other words, that $1.3 trillion in debt is the amount to which California governments admit.
Hundreds of billions in unfunded public pension liabilities. Given the strength of public sector unions in the state, don't expect that liability to be negotiated down by any meaningful amount. So somebody will eventually have to pay the bill.

non athlete students on full scholarship are not denied any opportunity to generate income. a music major for example can perform for compensation anywhere, anytime and it does not effect their scholarship standing at all. football players are pretty much on campus 12 months a year. conferences are getting billion dollar tv contracts and forming their own networks primarily because of football. they don't deserve an opportunity to generate income too ? they are not allowed to work during their season and when would they have time too anyway. the off season provides very little employment time also an they are discouraged from it anyway. Stipends are the way to go in my opinion and could have been addressed many times over the years. the inaction on those opportunities over the years has directly led to what we are now seeing in California.

Ok i see

More stipends might be a way but for a player to endorse themselves detracts from the team and it's all about the team

i know this. they are minimal and not nearly what they should be. stipends aren't new but the structure is the issue.
If we delve too deeply into this pay the players subject, we face the possibility of having the value of a scholarship be taxable. No reason to wake up the IRS on the issue. Room & Board and tuition at ND right now is in the $60,000s. How many of our players could pay the taxes on that?

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Ok i see

More stipends might be a way but for a player to endorse themselves detracts from the team and it's all about the team
i get that argument but it never should have gotten to this point. The NCAA has not been proactive on the issue as the money involved continued to spiral out of control. Athletes are more informed now than ever. When i played we would be lucky to be on television twice a year. Athletic Dept revenues were nowhere near what they are now because of TV revenue. I think athletes got tired of being ignored on the issue.

If we delve too deeply into this pay the players subject, we face the possibility of having the value of a scholarship be taxable. No reason to wake up the IRS on the issue. Room & Board and tuition at ND right now is in the $60,000s. How many of our players could pay the taxes on that?
fair point and one that has always been part of the discussion.

Reactions: Ddionne1983
Ok no scholarships recruit players on their worth to endorse themselves.
Can't have it both ways

bingo ! there is nothing that says "insret school" has to give you a full scholarship to play any sport. If the players want to go the "free market " route. I'm all for it Knock yourselves out. In the mean time , no free ride will be offered. I laugh at the fact they feel they aren't paid when getting a full ride is being paid.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
It's in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona...................................................................
Lived in calif better than 60 years, lots of changes none to better the lives of the hard working folks, more taxes, money goes where ? highest gas taxes in the states, could go on and on, and now all of us that belong to the NRA our members of a domestic terrorist organization according to homeless USA, frisco. Our middle class live in the rural areas in northern calif, and parts of the san joaquin valley, Any legislation out of our governors office is a total FUBAR. OUT

Lived in calif better than 60 years, lots of changes none to better the lives of the hard working folks, more taxes, money goes where ? highest gas taxes in the states, could go on and on, and now all of us that belong to the NRA our members of a domestic terrorist organization according to homeless USA, frisco. Our middle class live in the rural areas in northern calif, and parts of the san joaquin valley, Any legislation out of our governors office is a total FUBAR. OUT
I been a member for 41 years....proudly

Reactions: ivan brunetti
It is not mandatory for any school to be a member of the NCAA. But if you choose to be a member, you agree to abide by the rules. The rules are what they are.

And, as someone said above, with all the problems in California it's amazing that they'd use their the time to deal with this issue, an issue that has zero impact on 99.99% of the population of the state.

because, this issue sinks to their level of intellect.

shouldnt he figure out the homeless problem first or at least clean up the shit on the streets
Our legislators in this state could care less about college football players being compensated. This is the hate the politicians in this state have for the majority of football fans who don't agree with there political views. Any legislation they can pass to break your balls they will. Today its football tomorrow it will be something else. Lived here for better than 60 years. Homeless problem, the state has no money to take care of it, not hearsay, fact. Out

Would you allow Us to sue athletes that breached their contract? IF you want 19 yr olds to be treated equally as independent professionals then that treatment is a two way street.

On the issue of compensating players I think athletic departments should be allowed to offer signing bonuses to the nation's best prospects out of high school. each top prospect would hire an agent who would handle a bidding war for the players LOI. The rest of the stipend and scholarship model would remain intact.

A Trevor Lawrence like prospect would probably get $10+ million dollars to sign where guys who are barely prospects would probably be happy with just a scholarship. And then of course you allow all players to profit off their likeness. This is only fair given the billions of dollars being generated off the backs of the players.

as for California putting into law that players make money off their likeness I think this could have a positive impact that can open the door for some much-needed rule changes in the NCAA

Last edited:
On the issue of compensating players I think athletic departments should be allowed to offer signing bonuses to the nation's best prospects out of high school. each top prospect would hire an agent who would handle a bidding war for the players LOI. The rest of the stipend and scholarship model would remain intact.

A Trevor Lawrence like prospect would probably get $10+ million dollars to sign where guys who are barely prospects would probably be happy with just a scholarship. And then of course you allow all players to profit off their likeness. This is only fair given the billions of dollars being generated off the backs of the players.

as for California putting into law that players make money off their likeness I think this could have a positive impact that can open the door for some much-needed rule changes in the NCAA

The scenario you describe would be the end of Notre Dame football. We would never pay kids bonuses like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT