ADVERTISEMENT

Say Goodbye to Five Star Recruits!

That's because the map was drawn around an area that has great weather and beautiful coastline where rich people want to live. Fine it's a free country. But said rich people pass laws to beat down the middle class and buy support from the poor. That's why they are fleeing into arid Nevada and Arizona to a government that supports regular people.
Always pros and cons to each state. California provides the tools for any willing person to better educate him or herself. CA has a basically free Juco system and an affordable Cal State system. The UC system is an elite state run university system. The housing system is the way it is mainly because of supply and demand.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Always pros and cons to each state. California provides the tools for any willing person to better educate him or herself. CA has a basically free Juco system and an affordable Cal State system. The UC system is an elite state run university system. The housing system is the way it is mainly because of supply and demand.
There's alot of elite universities around the country

Mainly because of foreign investment

Like i said the elite Californians (tech moguls) looks at themseleves as citizens of the world

Last edited:
Lived in calif better than 60 years, lots of changes none to better the lives of the hard working folks, more taxes, money goes where ? highest gas taxes in the states, could go on and on, and now all of us that belong to the NRA our members of a domestic terrorist organization according to homeless USA, frisco. Our middle class live in the rural areas in northern calif, and parts of the san joaquin valley, Any legislation out of our governors office is a total FUBAR. OUT

you do realize that you have to renounce the NRA to join the military you cannot be a card carrying member of the nra and join the service thats not a california issue that is also the point view of the federal goverment

you do realize that you have to renounce the NRA to join the military you cannot be a card carrying member of the nra and join the service thats not a california issue that is also the point view of the federal goverment
What's the rationale for that?

That's not true

The NRA is the oldest civil rights movement in America

Reactions: d1042
i and many others i network with have been working behind the scenes for years on the idea of monthly stipends for athletes or if not giving them the opportunity to benefit off their likeness, signature etc. other students on full scholarship are not denied the opportunity to benefit from their likeness, skill set etc. why are athletes being treated differently ?
Why are they treated differently? They are not! They get to go to college and prove their worth for a lucrative NFL career when they otherwise would not be able to afford college. Worst case scenario is they have a degree that allows them to earn more than in their lifetime.

Endorsement deals will corrupt the sport. I am not against stipends so they are not required to also work while attending school while also balancing academics and football. Endorsements opens up a huge can of worms.

Reactions: d1042
Turn me in, damn I did not know that when I JOINED THE ARMY in 66. WOW nobody even asked me. Live and Learn. Holy crap I have a family of law breakers. Thanx for the info.

ridiculous and hard to believe, if challenged that it would withstand legal challenge.
It's an odd set of circumstances, and makes you wonder what the legislature is thinking. So now it's going to be legal for kids to make money off their likeness, etc. Does that imply that it was illegal previously? I don't think there was any California state law barring kids from doing that. It's membership in the NCAA that was baring kids from doing that. So why is the state delving into this subject?

Mark Emmert is correct

I am paid a wage for sevice rendered
College athletes are given an education

My company benefits from my hard work as do universities from the athletes

I do a great job i get a bonous
College athletes get into the playoffs and the benefits of it

Leave it to California to screw things up again
Now now, getting a world class education in field your heart desires for playing a kids game isn’t enough.

In all seriousness I don’t want to doubt the extremely hard work student athletes put in and it really is a full time job. But people fail to realize 99% of student athletes don’t turn a profit for a university.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I don't see ND paying players
I could see ND taking part in a program where scholarship athletes got a standard stipend, even if it is a decently generous one. I see no way that ND gets into paying signing bonuses or getting into financial bidding wars for recruits. That's so anathema to they way ND operates and views the college sports world, I just can't imagine that happening.

Reactions: NDSMC78
I could see ND taking part in a program where scholarship athletes got a standard stipend, even if it is a decently generous one. I see no way that ND gets into paying signing bonuses or getting into financial bidding wars for recruits. That's so anathema to they way ND operates and views the college sports world, I just can't imagine that happening.

I've said this many times. ND is not going to start paying bonuses to recruits or get into bidding wars. It is just not going to happen.

Reactions: sluggo69
If that somehow did happen it would be included in Sports Illustrated Signs the Apocalypse is Upon Us.

ridiculous and hard to believe, if challenged that it would withstand legal challenge.
They ruled in the past 11 years that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual pre-political liberty. That is the highest category of liberty recognized in the law. It is akin to the freedoms of thought, speech and personality
That means that the court has recognized that the framers of the Constitution did not bestow this right upon us. Rather, they recognized its preexistence as an extension of our natural human right to self-defense and they forbade government – state and federal – from infringing upon it.

Reactions: d1042 and tbonesays
I've said this many times. ND is not going to start paying bonuses to recruits or get into bidding wars. It is just not going to happen.

the colleges keep their hands clean by allowing the players to get 'endorsements' from companies interested in supporting the college.

What's dumb is California is trying dictate policy to the other 49 states and what's embarrassing is how many seem ready to be compliant.

Why are they treated differently? They are not! They get to go to college and prove their worth for a lucrative NFL career when they otherwise would not be able to afford college. Worst case scenario is they have a degree that allows them to earn more than in their lifetime.

Endorsement deals will corrupt the sport. I am not against stipends so they are not required to also work while attending school while also balancing academics and football. Endorsements opens up a huge can of worms.
because they are not allowed to generate personal income. "regular" students on full scholarship are not denied that right to benefit from their likeness or talent. the NCAA has allowed the issue to get to this point with their unwillingness to address the issue.

That's not true.

They already get a stipend so what you mean is more.

It won't end with it being more.

Once you go down this road and give people a voice that never should have a voice they don't just talk but grab the megaphone and scream it.

This is exactly what will happen.

The stipend increases but to what dollar?

After that you will still have the me first crowd saying I should get more than player x.

I won the Heisman as a sophomore and can't go pro so I should get a lot more than the 3rd string nose tackle.

As amateurs it's absolutely impossible to quantify the pay.

They're not professional athletes.

The NCAA tries hard (at least they talk the talk) tries hard to keep things somewhat fair and balanced.

A signed Trevor Lawrence would fetch more than a Justyn Ross signed jersey.

Mr. Lawrence would not have that stature all by himself. He's got some very good receivers helping his cause.

What about his left tackle. The guy who helps keep him alive.

Do you know who he even is without looking? Don't worry, most don't either.

If you give them more, they will only want more.

This mess will never go away and the more you give and allow the louder the wheel will squeak.

Most players in D1 college football don't go pro.

In other words they better put a higher emphasis on their education than football.

This who mess is nothing but a huge can of worms.

Next you'll have players bitching because a Notre Dame education is more valuable than a West Virginia one and they want compensation for that too in some weird ass lawyer way.

If they want compensation then keep the nose clean, pick your studies wisely and play hard utilizing the facilites and resources around you.

If the stars align for you perhaps you may get drafted and if you're really fortunate drafted very high.

If not you just received a degree from a very prestigious university free of charge the entire way.

Choose your school wisely and do your best in the classroom and the football field.

If you do the above you'll be well compensated either using your expensive degree or using your ability on the gridiron.
what's not true in what i stated other than not stipulating a structured stipend ? you gave your opinion about what might happen but nothing i stated is false.

Would you allow Us to sue athletes that breached their contract? IF you want 19 yr olds to be treated equally as independent professionals then that treatment is a two way street.
what breach of contract are you talking about ?

Reactions: 88ND
What's it all matter

Hasn't the Father official title or not...

In other words the powers that be at ND clearly have said if NCAA goes way of pay for play they'll dismiss themselves from sport altogether.

If that is in fact true and I'd certainly bet it was well then ND football is over.

Do you really think that's going to happen?

What's it all matter

Hasn't the Father official title or not...

In other words the powers that be at ND clearly have said if NCAA goes way of pay for play they'll dismiss themselves from sport altogether.

If that is in fact true and I'd certainly bet it was well then ND football is over.

Do you really think that's going to happen?
If we bowed out, my bet is we'll have a lot of company. A lot. That's why I don't think it will happen.

Reactions: 88ND
If we bowed out, my bet is we'll have a lot of company. A lot. That's why I don't think it will happen.
I agree completely and that's why this won't get any steam.

ND is way too big of a brand to not be involved in college football.

If ND admissions are a hard line in the sand there is no fukcing way they start allowing pay for play.
You can also include ...my gut would say
Stanford
Northwestern
Vandy
Duke
And so on.

I'm sure even a lot of the upper echelon programs will also say no thanks to this as well.

No

W
A
Y.

I agree completely and that's why this won't get any steam.

ND is way too big of a brand to not be involved in college football.

If ND admissions are a hard line in the sand there is no fukcing way they start allowing pay for play.
You can also include ...my gut would say
Stanford
Northwestern
Vandy
Duke
And so on.

I'm sure even a lot of the upper echelon programs will also say no thanks to this as well.

No

W
A
Y.
The schools you named would be the ones to not do it on principle. I think there'd be many more for whom the economics just wouldn't work. There's no shortage of even FBS schools that are not rolling in money.

what breach of contract are you talking about ?

Hmm let's say a player injured himself doing some kid stuff he agreed not to when he signed the 50 page contract he didn't read. Does that mean he owes his football team?

What about the increasingly large number of transfers in the 'portal.' How many tortious interference with contract claims will arise?

There's a brawl on the field and someone gets injured. I guess the players were all acting within the scope of employment right?

what's not true in what i stated other than not stipulating a structured stipend ? you gave your opinion about what might happen but nothing i stated is false.
Now when you mean like a stipend just like a monthly amount. Not like personal endorsements for paying for contracts for a player. I'm all good with that as long as it's a level playing field and you don't get paid more for going to a better football school.

Now when you mean like a stipend just like a monthly amount. Not like personal endorsements for paying for contracts for a player. I'm all good with that as long as it's a level playing field and you don't get paid more for going to a better football school.
That's just it...

The moment you open the lid on this all hell will break loose.

No matter what there will be those that always want more.

The wrong attitude, the right agent and now you've got all sorts of litigation holding up practices, classes for the plaintiff...

There is no way to do this in a fair manner at this level.

Regardless how many schools either join a different league or just drop football?

They are NOT going to pay these players.

A small stipend increase is not what these players are after.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT