ADVERTISEMENT

Running Back Comittee

Holycrossover3

Irish Guard
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2012
It’s hard to find a flaw in regards to having so many talented running backs. I certainly never complain about talent and depth, but is it possible that playing so many backs in a game can lead to one back never really finding their groove in the game?

All 5 backs had multiple carries vs OSU. That’s great in terms of fresh legs, but is it overkill in a way?

The good that we saw was Estime couldn’t really get going in the 1st half and Love/Price/Payne gave a nice change of pace to get things going.

To me, the bad was the last possession after Estime bulldozed his way 11 yards for our final 1st down. Hindsight 20/20 but man, when a D-Line is worn down that’s when Estime shines the brightest. I would’ve loved to see him stay in the game to power our way home. Again, easy to complain when things go wrong but the committee at the end seemed to cost us.

Assuming Estime goes pro and Ford leaves next year, we have 2 more great backs coming in. Assuming someone transfers, I think we need to continue making Love a priority in terms of carries. He’s going to be a GREAT back for us.

It’s hard to find a flaw in regards to having so many talented running backs. I certainly never complain about talent and depth, but is it possible that playing so many backs in a game can lead to one back never really finding their groove in the game?

All 5 backs had multiple carries vs OSU. That’s great in terms of fresh legs, but is it overkill in a way?

The good that we saw was Estime couldn’t really get going in the 1st half and Love/Price/Payne gave a nice change of pace to get things going.

To me, the bad was the last possession after Estime bulldozed his way 11 yards for our final 1st down. Hindsight 20/20 but man, when a D-Line is worn down that’s when Estime shines the brightest. I would’ve loved to see him stay in the game to power our way home. Again, easy to complain when things go wrong but the committee at the end seemed to cost us.

Assuming Estime goes pro and Ford leaves next year, we have 2 more great backs coming in. Assuming someone transfers, I think we need to continue making Love a priority in terms of carries. He’s going to be a GREAT back for us.
The what ifs!!!! Heck yea I think Estime would have crushed it at the end of the game... BUT it did not happen.... we are on to Duke!!!

Agree with all this. I think even the casual fan who watched that game would be saying “ just give that big guy the ball “. Well I hope they learned a lot from that game.

Reactions: Holycrossover3
Agree with all this. I think even the casual fan who watched that game would be saying “ just give that big guy the ball “. Well I hope they learned a lot from that game.
I would have been fine with Jeremiyah Love or Audric Estime running the football if first down with 3:30 remaining was simply executed properly. Love looked great Saturday night.

I would have been fine with Jeremiyah Love or Audric Estime running the football if first down with 3:30 remaining was simply executed properly. Love looked great Saturday night.
Agreed with Love too. I think it was natural to think, man, give Estime the rock after he went up the gut for the first down play before. But agree, great game by Love!

Agreed with Love too. I think it was natural to think, man, give Estime the rock after he went up the gut for the first down play before. But agree, great game by Love!
Indeed it was natural. I agree, and Estime would be my choice 1 as well, with Love a real close 2.

Reactions: Holycrossover3
Indeed it was natural. I agree, and Estime would be my choice 1 as well, with Love a real close 2.
I thought Estime was the least impressive back against OSU, had 2 solid runs but how many went for no gain? Would have been feeding Love the rock last Saturday

Reactions: HRC08
People, do that math. Our last series started with 2:35 anOSU has two timeouts. That means we have to run 5 plays that get tackled in-bounds. Four plays has us punting with about a minute left. So no running 3 plays does not come close to a guarantee of success.

Reactions: HRC08
I thought Estime was the least impressive back against OSU, had 2 solid runs but how many went for no gain? Would have been feeding Love the rock last Saturday
Estime still averaged 5.0 ypc. But sometimes Love's a good change of pace when Estime's not doing as well. He's quicker.

But overall I don't have a problem with our 5-man rotation. All 5 are capable backs, and it keeps everyone fresh. But usually the 4th and 5th guys don't play a lot. It's mostly the top 3 that get most of the carries.

My wife has noticed that when Estime lines up seven yards deep he doesn't hit holes fast enough. He is more successful running when 3-5 yards deep. Hopefully, someone watching tape is keeping track of such observations to see if there's anything to it.

My wife has noticed that when Estime lines up seven yards deep he doesn't hit holes fast enough. He is more successful running when 3-5 yards deep. Hopefully, someone watching tape is keeping track of such observations to see if there's anything to it.
Yawn.

I don’t think he lines up at 3 yards. 5ish yards would be the shotgun. 7 is under center.

The first playcall for ND was under center. It was a 0 yard gain if I recall correctly. Spindler got pushed back and the DT kind of made the play. Sometimes the blocking/scheme isn’t quite there and the play gets shut down.

There is usually going to be a rhyme or reason for who is in the game in a given situation. Its not as simple as ‘give it to the hot hand’.

There were times in the game where someone could probably complain about who was out there in a particular situation if the playcall hadn’t succeeded. It did succeed, so most people aren’t going to say anything or even notice.

You can even put your TE at RB and the RB at WR. If the play fails, couldn’t someone say, “why would they do that? TE’s aren’t RB’s.” There’s a reason for who is in the game at a time. Sometimes gameplanning and scheme come into play.

I just struggle how you don’t have one of estime love price on the field every play, especially estime and love

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT