ADVERTISEMENT

Rees to Alabama?

I'm talking about as future HC not like, showing up to a game. Most likely only position he comes back to is HC. I wouldn't want him to come back as HC and then be a threat to take lateral quickly.

Good. What you would or would not want is irrelevant.

Funny how throughout the college football world Rees is considered one of the brightest young minds in the business. Arguably the best coach in history is interested in hiring him yet on the ND message boards many posters think he's garbage. Hilarious.
He is considered a bright young star in coaching. I dont get it fully. A lot dont. Hes done nothing exceptional here. I think he's a better fit for the nfl than college.

Also, just because people view him that way, doesnt mean hes destined to be great. Lot of young up and comers flame out as well

If you think it's a lateral move between the lines I don't know what to say. Currently ND is not in Alabamas class from a football only standpoint and haven't been for quite some time. Rees like any young person in their chosen career should always be looking to improve their resume. If he does end up in Tuscaloosa it is certainly a step upward on his resume. It's called career building.
THIS.

Reactions: BGI User 756
There's no problem with an ND coach wanting to take a lateral, especially when it's leaving his alma mater? Something has changed from last year to this and not going to LSU?

Maybe he doesn't like freeman
Maybe he didn't want to work for kelly anymore being why he didn't go to LSU (Doubt that since kelly unjustifiably got him to where he is)
Maybe he couldn't stand the fan backlash for the crappy QB play that he hand picked and developed
Maybe he's sick of the cold weather in the off season
Maybe he thinks Bama players are more intelligent to handle his complex shifting
Why can't it just be a personal business decision ? Why does it have to be more than that ? Maybe you're just nuts...

Rees is below average recruiter and developer of QBs … decent game planner, good play caller. ND can do better. Tommy’s entire tenure is defending why he isn’t the problem.
Poor Nick Saban, he should have gotten your opinion...

Reactions: ohio1980
Brady isn't a full suite oc... Freeman needs someone proven at calling plays...Brady isn't it

Funny how throughout the college football world Rees is considered one of the brightest young minds in the business. Arguably the best coach in history is interested in hiring him yet on the ND message boards many posters think he's garbage. Hilarious.
You sure it's just here?

Agree here, typically that happens in 2 ways.

1. they leave and get some really good additional experience making them better for the future position (don't burn bridges)
2. They quickly realize they made a mistake leaving and ask back (again don't burn bridges)

I just don't see how bridges aren't burned here with how late of a move this would be when $$$ and experience gaining wouldn' be happening at bama. possibly his next stop after bama. You also don't see this happen at second in command type positions, they typically are lower level.
"Agree here, typically that happens in 2 ways.

1. they leave and get some really good additional experience making them better for the future position (don't burn bridges)
2. They quickly realize they made a mistake leaving and ask back (again don't burn bridges)

I just don't see how bridges aren't burned here with how late of a move this would be when $$$ and experience gaining wouldn' be happening at bama. possibly his next stop after bama. You also don't see this happen at second in command type positions, they typically are lower level."

It is no different than in the professional (private sector) world when someone leaves one firm to join another, than later, comes back to the original firm -- as long as it is done professionally (I assume that Saban asked for permission to speak to TR through Jack), and Rees is professional about how he handles it, then there is no issue. If Rees sees this as a potential career builder, then in his mind, it is a "promotion" to add to his resume and overall body of work.

There is no "good time" to leave any job -- sports or business. Tell me, you have not left one employer for another? Personally, I am with a company now for the 5th time -- each time I left prior, I did not burn any bridge, and came back with a better skill set. You cannot fault someone for wanting to experience different things in their chosen profession -- whether you agree or not.

From the surface, all parties (from Jack, to Marcus, to Rees) are on board with what ever will happen.

Reactions: NDSMC78
If you think it's a lateral move between the lines I don't know what to say. Currently ND is not in Alabamas class from a football only standpoint and haven't been for quite some time. Rees like any young person in their chosen career should always be looking to improve their resume. If he does end up in Tuscaloosa it is certainly a step upward on his resume. It's called career building.
Is that what it's called? Leaving your alma mater for same role? When ND landed elko and freeman they were the most sought after DCs so it's not like ND can't land or keep the supposed top coaches.

The position is not a step up, coaching for Saban would be considered a step up yes. So if you want to claim tommy is leaving because he wants to coach for saban instead of freeman and thinks saban will help him more, i'm good with that. But the position itself, nope.

"Agree here, typically that happens in 2 ways.

I just don't see how bridges aren't burned here with how late of a move this would be when $$$ and experience gaining wouldn' be happening at bama. possibly his next stop after bama. You also don't see this happen at second in command type positions, they typically are lower level."

It is no different than in the professional (private sector) world when someone leaves one firm to join another, than later, comes back to the original firm -- as long as it is done professionally (I assume that Saban asked for permission to speak to TR through Jack), and Rees is professional about how he handles it, then there is no issue. If Rees sees this as a potential career builder, then in his mind, it is a "promotion" to add to his resume and overall body of work.

There is no "good time" to leave any job -- sports or business. Tell me, you have not left one employer for another? Personally, I am with a company now for the 5th time -- each time I left prior, I did not burn any bridge, and came back with a better skill set. You cannot fault someone for wanting to experience different things in their chosen profession -- whether you agree or not.

From the surface, all parties (from Jack, to Marcus, to Rees) are on board with what ever will happen.
Yes, agree with all of this for most part but missing my point on such a high up role. I can't think of a SVP of the company that left for lateral, then came back. I could be wrong though lol

So you’re privy to the financial disclosures in his potential contract with Alabama. Good for you.
No, i clearly stated it's being reported that ND will match the $$$ so if we eliminate the more money aspect, it confirms the lateral nature of this move.

Is that what it's called? Leaving your alma mater for same role? When ND landed elko and freeman they were the most sought after DCs so it's not like ND can't land or keep the supposed top coaches.

The position is not a step up, coaching for Saban would be considered a step up yes. So if you want to claim tommy is leaving because he wants to coach for saban instead of freeman and thinks saban will help him more, i'm good with that. But the position itself, nope.
It's not a lateral move. It would be a move to push his career forward

Wow, for someone who has claimed to play college football you sure don't seem to understand how things work at that level.
Can you name an OC or DC of a power 5 school, that left to take another OC or DC role at a power 5 school, then came back to that prior school as a coach later on? I'm not even asking to find one that left their alma mater and did it.

It's not a lateral move. It would be a move to push his career forward
How so? Push his career forwar, seriously? He's been given every position he's had without results to warrant it. He was a 27/28 year old unqualified OC at frichan ND. He's only 30 now. His career is moving at a lightning fast pace.

If you want to claim it's to learn under the best HC then fine, but it's not due to the position at Bama.

He can be a very bright OC and he also has failed up until this upcoming year recruiting and developing the most important position. He finally is landing top talent at it, so that's why arrow has started to point up for me. But to claim he's done some great job at ND is just not factually true. I think he can and is showing good signs, but up to this point he's been a dissapointment.

How so? Push his career forwar, seriously? He's been given every position he's had without results to warrant it. He was a 27/28 year old unqualified OC. He's only 30 now. His career is moving at a lightning fast pace.

If you want to claim it's to learn under the best HC then fine, but it's not due to the position at Bama.
4 of their last 5 OCs I believe have gone on to become a HC after they left Alabama. And Obrien got the patriots OC job. Pretty good track record for moving your career forward.

What has out last 5 OCs done right after leaving ND? Not nearly as well

At Alabama your pretty much guaranteed to be in the Playoffs or NC every other year. Even if you dont do great, schools hire winners.

It would absolutely move his career forward. It's not a lateral move

No, i clearly stated it's being reported that ND will match the $$$ so if we eliminate the more money aspect, it confirms the lateral nature of this move.

You keep on saying that it's a lateral move. Essentially, you have determined by yourself that it's a lateral move and that you are not going to budge from that determination. Many of us disagree with that, no matter how many times you say it.

4 of their last 5 OCs I believe have gone on to become a HC after they left Alabama. And Obrien got the patriots OC job. Pretty good track record for moving your career forward.

What has out last 5 OCs done right after leaving ND? Not nearly as well

At Alabama your pretty much guaranteed to be in the Playoffs or NC every other year. Even if you dont do great, schools hire winners.

It would absolutely move his career forward. It's not a lateral move
those same HCs were HCs before becoming OC at alabama and at bigger schools for the most part then where they ended up going to work to. So coaching at Bama didn't even get their career up to as high as it was prior to joining bama. Penn state HC, Texans HC, 2 USC HCs

Honestly think ND has as good a shot if coached well as BAMA next year to win it all, maybe rees doesn't feel that way.

Bama has hired OCs that were failing or fired in their previous positions.

You keep on saying that it's a lateral move. Essentially, you have determined by yourself that it's a lateral move and that you are not going to budge from that determination. Many of us disagree with that, no matter how many times you say it.
2 + 2 = 2 + 2.... Offensive coordinator = Offensive coordinator ... I'm dealing with facts, ya'll claiming it's not a lateral is pure opinion if we agree that hansens reporting is correct. And that's fine but until I hear he's offered OC/Assistant HC then it's a lateral move since both programs are the biggest in college football.

Did I mention Rees Graduated from ND

Reactions: 88ND
The two best candidates, Garrett Riley and Phil Longo are already gone. This will end badly no matter who we get unless it’s Rees. Also, Rees will do his damndest to convince CJ Carr to go to Bama and perhaps with him goes Cam Williams.

those same HCs were HCs before becoming OC at alabama and at bigger schools for the most part then where they ended up going to work to. So coaching at Bama didn't even get their career up to as high as it was prior to joining bama. Penn state HC, Texans HC, 2 USC HCs

Honestly think ND has as good a shot if coached well as BAMA next year to win it all, maybe rees doesn't feel that way.

Bama has hired OCs that were failing or fired in their previous positions.
Nonsense lol

Nonsense lol
Which part, my comments on the OCs at bama is factual. It's not an opinion on where they were prior to bama, why or how they left those roles, how they did there, and where they went after bama?

SO i assume you're claiming nonsense to my comment on ND having as good of a shot IMO to make playoff as bama. I know vegas favors bama

The two best candidates, Garrett Riley and Phil Longo are already gone. This will end badly no matter who we get unless it’s Rees. Also, Rees will do his damndest to convince CJ Carr to go to Bama and perhaps with him goes Cam Williams.
Yeah timing being bad is my bigger concern

If Rees tries to take committed ND recruits with him that would be REALLY telling. That is a big no no with leaving on good terms from prior employer and I would hope your alma mater.

2 + 2 = 2 + 2.... Offensive coordinator = Offensive coordinator ... I'm dealing with facts, ya'll claiming it's not a lateral is pure opinion if we agree that hansens reporting is correct. And that's fine but until I hear he's offered OC/Assistant HC then it's a lateral move since both programs are the biggest in college football.

Alabama OC > ND OC

ND OC > Maryland OC

Maryland OC > Rutgers OC

Rutgers OC > Marshall OC

Not lateral. Theres a pecking order

Which part, my comments on the OCs at bama is factual. It's not an opinion on where they were prior to bama, why or how they left those roles, how they did there, and where they went after bama?

SO i assume you're claiming nonsense to my comment on ND having as good of a shot IMO to make playoff as bama. I know vegas favors bama
Yes your last comment that we have as good a shot as Bama is asinine

Go to Bama as OC, leave and get a HC job or prime NFL OC. What they did prior is meaningless. Where they go after is what TR is looking at

B Obrien - Patriots OC
S Sark - Texas HC
M Locksley - Maryland HC
L Kiffin - Fl Atl HC then Ole Miss HC
B Daboll - Bills OC then NYG HC
J Mcelwain - Col St HC then FL HC

Facts. If you want to move up, you go win with Saban

Alabama OC > ND OC

ND OC > Maryland OC

Maryland OC > Rutgers OC

Rutgers OC > Marshall OC

Not lateral. Theres a pecking order
Alabama like top 2 or 3 program right now, Notre dame 5, maryland 50, Rutgers 75

Great comparison

I’ll answer that, take a run at Joe Brady, he’s the qb coach for the Bills, but perhaps he wants to be a cord again. He didn’t have a great run with the Carolina Panthers, but neither did Matt Ruhl, but his Star wasn’t diminished too much.
Losing Rees and getting Joe Brady would be like having a double orgasm.

Reactions: 88ND
Alabama like top 2 or 3 program right now, Notre dame 5, maryland 50, Rutgers 75

Great comparison
It was an example numbnuts. 2 or 3 for Bama....LOL Who besides Georgia above Bama???

The gap between bama and us is still huge. Maybe bigger than the gap between us and a top 30ish team

Hows this

Bama OC > ND OC
ND OC > Ok St/Auburn/Ole Miss/Mich St etc

Those OCs > Rutgers/Northwestern OC

Does that make you feel better snowflake?

Yes your last comment that we have as good a shot as Bama is asinine

Go to Bama as OC, leave and get a HC job or prime NFL OC. What they did prior is meaningless. Where they go after is what TR is looking at

B Obrien - Patriots OC
S Sark - Texas HC
M Locksley - Maryland HC
L Kiffin - Fl Atl HC then Ole Miss HC
B Daboll - Bills OC then NYG HC
J Mcelwain - Col St HC then FL HC

Facts. If you want to move up, you go win with Saban
Rightttttt

Obrien Texans HC, Sark USC HC, Kiffin USC HC,

Daboll was already OC in NFL Multiple stints before going to bama for one year then as OC at giants

Locksley was already Maryland OC/HC before going to bama then back to Maryland

Mcelwain - I guess maybe he moved up due to bama, but ended up not being any good

Again, BAMA OC is filled by struggling coaches looking to get back on track due to the Bama Juggernaut under Saban.

Rees and ND are supposed to be on the Up and Up. If he did great this year with Hartman as he should he would be getting NFL OC gig no issues. You know this.

It was an example numbnuts. 2 or 3 for Bama....LOL Who besides Georgia above Bama???

The gap between bama and us is still huge. Maybe bigger than the gap between us and a top 30ish team

Hows this

Bama OC > ND OC
ND OC > Ok St/Auburn/Ole Miss/Mich St etc

Those OCs > Rutgers/Northwestern OC

Does that make you feel better snowflake?

Facts killing you

This is like saying taking a Director, HR position at Apple is a lateral move when you are a Director, HR at South Bend Waterworks and Co.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT