ADVERTISEMENT

receive or defer ?

Due to AT&T Stadium's east-west configuration, I'd think ND's coaching staff will have figured out whether direction is or is not important by game time, then decide whether to kick or receive.

I think he learned a lesson in the game vs bama. Kelly wanted the ball to put his offense up and to turn it over to the defense. The issue was that the offense was VERY tight coming out and ND couldnt move the ball, then bama shredded the defense and the route was on. I think a great deal will be decided by where the coaches feel they have the advantage at game time vs having a plan going in like before. This team is confident on both sides of the ball, and I believe they will make the decision on who is most ready to play in that moment at that time. ND cannot get behind early on Clemson, so if one side seems a little star blinded, better to have them on the sidelines to start and get their bearings.

Defer and rely upon our defense to stop Clemson or even get a turn over. Behind or ahead , it is always
Nice to get the ball first in the second half !
If we are going to win this game, the defense must be at the top of their game !
Defense, Defense, Defense !

Reactions: chitown sot
Execute! Take the ball. Send a message. What did GW Bush call it?
“Shock and awe” I had to look it up.

Shock and awe these mo fo’s!

Clemson has been a slow starter in the 1st quarter. We need to get as many points as possible as early as possible. Without question receive!

Reactions: Leahylads
I'm normally a take the ball guy. In this instance, I would defer. Let the defense go after a true Freshman QB that hasn't seen a defense this good and hasn't played in a game anywhere close to this big. A 3 and out or turnover would be a great way to get our first offensive possession.

If you do take the ball, script out plays designed to take advantage of a MEGA aggressive defense.

Reactions: rgc7 and echowaker
Take the ball. Either get a jump with the lead, or flip the field and make their QB start deep from the other end. I think the first half may have a lot more to do with field position than the second. I think we have the better punter for the field position battle. And I don't want to play Clemson from behind.

Regardless of who starts with the ball, we need to get some yards on first down when we have the ball.

I like deferring. Let the defense settle in first. However, I’m really worried about their return game. Specifically number 3 Rodgers. I know he does punt returns, but sure about kick returns

I always defer unless:
1. Wind is a major factor *not the case in the Cotton Bowl*
2. My defense is hot garbage *not the case for ND*

So defer.

Reactions: rgc7
Don’t you have to win the toss, first, in order to make that decision? :):)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT