ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp 2023 Thread

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Fall camp should be opening up here in the next 3 weeks or so. This is the time of year where coaches start to separate the wheat from the chaff. Recruits/underclassmen we've been following for seemingly ever will start to emerge as FBS players/contributors on the Notre Dame depth chart.

Here's a link to Bryan Driskell's 2023 projected depth chart: offense and defense
  • Any misc. thoughts heading into fall camp?
  • Position battles you want to see?
  • Reports on specific players?
  • Any interesting story lines you are following?
  • Any guys who you think can take their game to the next level?
  • True freshman guys who you think could make a year 1 impact?
  • etc. etc. etc.
I'll come into the conversation later with some of my own thoughts.

Last edited:
Is Price and Raridon healthy

Is there any other injuries we need to be concerned with

Is Golden going to give Sneed/Ziegler a real chance to compete for starting spots

Right guard battle

Chemistry between Merriweather and Hartman

Is Minchey ready to compete for the number 2 spot

Reactions: IrishMike409

Is Golden going to give Sneed/Ziegler a real chance to compete for starting spots

Right guard battle

Is Minchey ready to compete for the number 2 spot
All critical critical issues. Can’t wait to see how they shake out.

Re RG: Hope it’s Rocco’s time. Would love to see him emerge and lock that spot down for the next 38-40 games….

Re LB: I’ll be big time disappointed if Sneed isn’t given every opportunity to start.

Reactions: Telx1 and Chitown11
All critical critical issues. Can’t wait to see how they shake out.

Re RG: Hope it’s Rocco’s time. Would love to see him emerge and lock that spot down for the next 38-40 games….

Re LB: I’ll be big time disappointed if Sneed isn’t given every opportunity to start.
The opportunity to play the freshmen (who are ready) is the blessing of riches of depth. Whether the freshmen start or not is not the primary issue. Sharing those minutes with the upperclass players benefits both and the team. Keeping fresh legs on the field cannot be overlooked. If the freshmen dominate....give them more minutes.....but play all your guys who can contribute to an aggressive and healthy defense.

The opportunity to play the freshmen (who are ready) is the blessing of riches of depth. Whether the freshmen start or not is not the primary issue. Sharing those minutes with the upperclass players benefits both and the team. Keeping fresh legs on the field cannot be overlooked. If the freshmen dominate....give them more minutes.....but play all your guys who can contribute to an aggressive and healthy defense.
I want to see the sophomore class blow up. Would love a few superstars to emerge…..

Sneed
Schrauth
Tobias
JD Price
Staes/Raridon
Ziegler
Burnham

Who’d i forget?

Right guard battle

Is Minchey ready to compete for the number 2

Does Harper start at nickel?

Just me or does Marist Liufau look like he's taken his training to a whole new level this offseason? He looked way leaner last year. His body looks like an outside LB now (video is time-stamped to Liufau)

The ND media and coaches have been singing Liufau's praises since he arrived on campus. He was a guy that coaches were comparing to JOK in terms of his speed/athleticism and sideline-to-sideline playmaking. He had a really disappointing season last year but I think there might be some breakout potential here. He's definitely looking the part.

He also has a quiet confidence about him in the same way Manti Te'o did.

Just me or does Marist Liufau look like he's taken his training to a whole new level this offseason? He looked way leaner last year. His body looks like an outside LB now (video is time-stamped to Liufau)

The ND media and coaches have been singing Liufau's praises since he arrived on campus. He was a guy that coaches were comparing to JOK in terms of his speed/athleticism and sideline-to-sideline playmaking. He had a really disappointing season last year but I think there might be some breakout potential here. He's definitely looking the part.

He also has a quiet confidence about him in the same way Manti Te'o did.

As long as he’s not dating the same girl!

Been following Coach Prime/Colorado off-season and his practices look intense AF. I'm wondering if NDs practices have this kind of energy...there seems to be something special going on in Boulder

Lots of unknowns for sure.

QB. I really like Sam but gotta have a QB2 ready in case of injury.

WR- Chemistry with new QB, who will be that one dominant go to WR?

New OC- I hope GP can at least be as good as Tommy.

I love the Oline and Dline

Everyone is overlooking Angeli as the #2. I think he's got a solid shot at being QB1 next year.
I hate reading expectations that ND will look for another one year transfer at QB next year. I want to see our #2 qb getting game experience this year, and not just mop up duty handing the damn ball off. I’ve liked every film I’ve seen of Angeli, and assuming he wins the #2 spot, he needs to enter next season with meaningful impressive game experience that eliminates talk of another one year rental. We’ll have a talented freshman, sophomore and Junior as our QBs next year, and we need to start developing and playing these guys.

The WR room is the most intriguing to me. Clear #1 in Jayden Thomas but it’s anybodys guess from there. Is Tobias ready to be #2? Will Rico/Greathouse emerge over Tyree and Colzie?

I hate reading expectations that ND will look for another one year transfer at QB next year. I want to see our #2 qb getting game experience this year, and not just mop up duty handing the damn ball off. I’ve liked every film I’ve seen of Angeli, and assuming he wins the #2 spot, he needs to enter next season with meaningful impressive game experience that eliminates talk of another one year rental. We’ll have a talented freshman, sophomore and Junior as our QBs next year, and we need to start developing and playing these guys.

Yep. Even the best programs have to break in a new guy. Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, and Bama, among many others, are all breaking in new QB’s. If ND can’t trust one of Angeli, Minchey, or EE Carr then it’s a coaching problem.

Is he coaching on one leg?
Blood clots in his genes (his entire family suffers from it in old age and has even lost family members to it). Even on one leg he's coaching every rep hard and so are all his assistants. Im curious if this is the norm or if there's something exceptional going on at Colorado.

From the videos I've seen of other programs (not just ND) I don't see this kind of urgency. Could just be clever editing wo knows. It looks authentic and hype AF and I can see 17 year old star prospects wanting to be apart of it all.

Their culture is hype. They practice with swagger. They got NFL legends (current and old) walking through their campus since Deion has arrived, offering words of advice, coaching, etc. The coaches are on top of them HARD barking at them every play, every rep, and the players are motivated to soak up the coaching.

Coach Prime has some really good motivational speeches that gets everybody pumped up and ready to dominate. And say what you will about his personality but coach prime has everybody around him convinced that they are going to win and they are all falling in line with his message. It has become must see TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorich 88
Blood clots in his genes (his entire family suffers from it in old age and has even lost family members to it). Even on one leg he's coaching every rep hard and so are all his assistants. Im curious if this is the norm or if there's something exceptional going on at Colorado.

From the videos I've seen of other programs (not just ND) I don't see this kind of urgency. Could just be clever editing wo knows. It looks authentic and hype AF and I can see 17 year old star prospects wanting to be apart of it all.

Their culture is hype. They practice with swagger. They got NFL legends (current and old) walking through their campus since Deion has arrived, offering words of advice, coaching, etc. The coaches are on top of them HARD barking at them every play, every rep, and the players are motivated to soak up the coaching.

Coach Prime has some really good motivational speeches that gets everybody pumped up and ready to dominate. And say what you will about his personality but coach prime has everybody around him convinced that they are going to win and they are all falling in line with his message. It has become must see TV.
They will win 4 games or less this year

• Haha
They will win 4 games or less this year
I watched the video of Prime talking to Colorado the first time. Prime could not get a job as a volunteer usher inside Notre Dame Stadium, much less the ND head coach.

Colorado is perfect for Prime.

Maybe he can share some of his personality with Brian Kelly Mr. Business plan and his uninspiring pre game speeches.

There are reports he is already looking for a new job next year. 😎

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT