ADVERTISEMENT

Question for old-timers

The question is this: Was Holtz’ offense more like Kelly’s or more like Niumatalolo’s?
Really none of the above. Holtz ran some triple option when he had Rice, ran a little with McDougal and Meier, and almost not at all with Powlus. He liked the power I and full house backfield and pounding the crap out of the defense. With Holtz, if we threw the ball more than 15 to 20 times we probably lost.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
ND with Holtz and before were always deep at running back; pounders; speed guys; all kinds. I don't get the read option, and the deep, standing still hand offs; with the constant shot-gun formations.

ND with Holtz and before were always deep at running back; pounders; speed guys; all kinds. I don't get the read option, and the deep, standing still hand offs; with the constant shot-gun formations.

I dont either. Worst run scheme for ND. We cannot execute it. And the red zone O is not good because of it.

The biggest difference in my recollection was when ND had critical short yardage situations, you the fan believed they were going to convert. Night and day to what you anticipate with Kelly coached teams. We played with the toughness of someone like Wisconsin with more talent. Fundamentals were outstanding with Ara and Devine and Holtz coached teams, and Holtz distinguished himself by bringing in fast athletes to run with the likes of USC under the John McKay era. Great times to be a ND fan.

The biggest difference in my recollection was when ND had critical short yardage situations, you the fan believed they were going to convert. Night and day to what you anticipate with Kelly coached teams. We played with the toughness of someone like Wisconsin with more talent. Fundamentals were outstanding with Ara and Devine and Holtz coached teams, and Holtz distinguished himself by bringing in fast athletes to run with the likes of USC under the John McKay era. Great times to be a ND fan.
There are advantages to both styles short yardage the option has the advantage playing catch up spread is better . Why not combine the two work the spread in most situations and have an under center and play action group of plays

There are advantages to both styles short yardage the option has the advantage playing catch up spread is better . Why not combine the two work the spread in most situations and have an under center and play action group of plays

I think in short yardage situations setting the QB under center with a FB and other RB in the backfield and running a quick hitter with the FB going off near center, the other RB following or going off tackle and the possibility of the QB keeping creates more problems for the defense ... they're all so close to the line and hit 2 or 3 holes within a matter of seconds, the defense can't bunch up in one area.

I think in short yardage situations setting the QB under center with a FB and other RB in the backfield and running a quick hitter with the FB going off near center, the other RB following or going off tackle and the possibility of the QB keeping creates more problems for the defense ... they're all so close to the line and hit 2 or 3 holes within a matter of seconds, the defense can't bunch up in one area.

That's right Irish - Kelly had a QB under center a few years back and it worked very well with no loss to the normal spread offense . To me can't understand why he went back to exclusive shotgun . Quick pop from QB under center very effective or play action pass or QB keeper keeps D honest

Really none of the above. Holtz ran some triple option when he had Rice, ran a little with McDougal and Meier, and almost not at all with Powlus. He liked the power I and full house backfield and pounding the crap out of the defense. With Holtz, if we threw the ball more than 15 to 20 times we probably lost.
Oh how I miss the days of Lou's power running game and running stopping defense.

I remember several times on 3rd and 6, we'd line up in a full house backfield. Loved it!

I remember several times on 3rd and 6, we'd line up in a full house backfield. Loved it!
The thing I miss mostly about the Lou era is that early 4th quarter drive every game. O-line takes over the game, 75 yards, 16 plays, 13 runs, 3 passes, 8 minutes, and by the end the defense was hoping we'd just score and end their misery. Took the life out of the opponent. I just loved those drives.

He didn't run an offense like Navy's.

It was run-first out of multiple formations, but different. He liked using the fullback as a lead blocker and pulling guards, but I don't recall that looking like the Navy option.

He also used the run game to set up the passing game, more so than Navy does at this point.

Holtz always had a reverse play up his sleeve that he seemed to bring out at just the right time during games. It often went for a big-hitter, especially when he had the Rocket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT