ADVERTISEMENT

Project Rudy

raycyrx

Irish Expert
Oct 22, 2002

The latest re-imagination of college football now includes a multi-billion-dollar proposal spearheaded by former Disney executives for a system funded by private equity, sources confirmed to CBS Sports on Tuesday.

The 70-team structure that would seemingly exclude the bottom tier of the FBS would be funded by private equity firm Smash Capital, sources told CBS Sports. The project would include $9 million infused into a system that would expand the college football postseason, change scheduling and feature tiered revenue distribution.

All those influences, thanks to conference realignment, are already featured as the College Football Playoff field expands from four teams to 12 this season. What were formerly marquee nonconference games in the SEC and Big Ten are now conference games in those two leagues. Going forward, those two leagues will also evenly split 59% of the CFP revenue distribution.

The new proposal, however, would eliminate all games against current Group of Five and FCS teams. The 70 schools would be shopped as a single-entity media rights package. It is not immediately clear which 70 schools would be included.

That all sounds quite horrifying. Somehow I'm not surprised ND is behind, or at least Swarbrick is, a fairly sinister sounding proposal, openly involving the inclusion of the truly evil socioeconomic entity known as 'private equity', that would assume ownership I guess, which is their plan, to essentially own everything on earth, so naturally the sport of CFB as something to own and collect rent on might be on their list. I guess so schools don't have to muddy their hands with the hassle or the indignity of players and employees, but still get something out of the deal presumably. And this is like a golden opportunity for them. It's just sitting there, they can buy it all up in one easy swoop. Just get the loan, they got friends at the bank, and then assume ownership. And then start fleecing and dismembering whatever it is they just paid for. And pay the bank back with the proceeds. It's an exceedingly simple business model. At this point maybe they have enough cash in the bank to pay for it that way.

In any case this should not surprise anyone, other than the private equity part, and even that is becoming less and less of a surprise where their tentacles attempt to get a wraparound on something. But the speculation and scuttlebutt about an eventual superconference, or supreleague which would be a new P5 classification that formally breaks away from G5 schools, and keeps even more money for themselves, and we no longer ever play the likes of NIU, has been kicking around for several years now. So no surprise at all on the score. That's definitely what's going to happen in some form. And obviously ND is going to be a part of it. Like we would ever drop football, but we would get into bed with private equity. But the 'Rudy' part is just a coincidence.

That all sounds quite horrifying. Somehow I'm not surprised ND is behind, or at least Swarbrick is, a fairly sinister sounding proposal, openly involving the inclusion of the truly evil socioeconomic entity known as 'private equity', that would assume ownership I guess, which is their plan, to essentially own everything on earth, so naturally the sport of CFB as something to own and collect rent on might be on their list. I guess so schools don't have to muddy their hands with the hassle or the indignity of players and employees, but still get something out of the deal presumably. And this is like a golden opportunity for them. It's just sitting there, they can buy it all up in one easy swoop. Just get the loan, they got friends at the bank, and then assume ownership. And then start fleecing and dismembering whatever it is they just paid for. And pay the bank back with the proceeds. It's an exceedingly simple business model. At this point maybe they have enough cash in the bank to pay for it that way.

In any case this should not surprise anyone, other than the private equity part, and even that is becoming less and less of a surprise where their tentacles attempt to get a wraparound on something. But the speculation and scuttlebutt about an eventual superconference, or supreleague which would be a new P5 classification that formally breaks away from G5 schools, and keeps even more money for themselves, and we no longer ever play the likes of NIU, has been kicking around for several years now. So no surprise at all on the score. That's definitely what's going to happen in some form. And obviously ND is going to be a part of it. Like we would ever drop football, but we would get into bed with private equity. But the 'Rudy' part is just a coincidence.
105 scholarships points to it as well. Contracts coming soon. LOL! How long until it's the South Bend Fighting Irish vs the Ann Arbor Wolverines?

Can’t wait for private equity to take over higher education!!!
Yeah. Seriously though, I'm sure they'd love to. And with 'private equity' becoming a household word, it is sort of remarkable when you see this, and think of course, this is something PE barons would dream of at night. Buying an entire league whole in effect. And it's just sitting there, all innocent and 'amateur', even though obviously those days are numbered. And universities are strapped for money, and don't want to mess with professional sports. And just in general in a sorry, vulnerable state. Weak and riddled with 'woke' institutional rot. And PE is like, nah, we'll take it off your hands, we'll take care of everything. Unbelievable, like something out of a novel or dystopian movie from the 70s, like Rollerball.

I'm not saying I like this, but I think the idea behind it is to reduce lousy games such as Bama vs. McNesse State and improve financial equity amongst the top 70 teams, which will lead to a more competitive balance and better games and a better product. But yeah a lot of schools are gonna get shafted under this model. We have to wait and see how the money will actually be split amongst the schools. Good luck getting everyone to agree. It's possible nothing comes from this project Rudy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT