ADVERTISEMENT

Project ND, USC, OU, LSU, and Miami 3 years

Dec 29, 2005
from now.

Honestly, as much as it pains me, I expect that Riley will have USC running at a high level. Their OL is trash currently and I’m not impressed with the front 7 on defense, don’t seem physical or fast (football fast). His ability to recruit and a good DC hire will change that rapidly IMO.
I see them as contending for a NC in 3 years.

LSU could go either way, we have to assume they’ll get very good talent, even poor coaches have been able to do that there. That said I took a look at their next 3 years of schedules and it’s brutuL as the SEC West is clearly the best division in all of CFB with every team seemingly on the rise. They also play cross over games with UF and UT, and play USC to open in 2024. Personally, I think it’ll hinge on BKs ability to get a QB, same as at ND. I can see LSU being a team that wins 8 games and then follows it up with 11 wins. Not sure as the schedule is extremely tough and I’m not sure how BK fits in down there.

OU, man I’m a big fan of Veneables. I hope he does well and I think initially he’ll steady the ship and hold it together, specifically if he can get a quality OC. My concern is when they join the SEC, how are the divisions aligned will make a difference for sure, some talk of conferences getting rid of divisions to ensure the best teams make the playoff Ala B12. I can see OU becoming a more physical football team under Veneables on both sides of the ball.

Miami, Mario knows everything Miami. He’s a great recruiter but much like BK his knock has been recruiting and developing the QB position. I’ve read he’s extremely popular amongst his players and staff. If Miami can’t win now with Mario then not sure they’ll ever do it again. I expect Miami to be fighting with Clemson for the ACC crown in 3 years.

Notre Dame - ND is in a good place, much of the support staff and a good portion of the coaching staff will remain in place for a program that’s had a lot of recent success. My concern is getting a good DC, OL and QB coach/Passing game coordinator to recruit an elite QB and develop them as that was clearly Kelly’s Achilles heel. Can Marcus take the next step and win the game in which ND isn’t favored?

USC OL and DL recruiting has been bad other than Korey Foreman (who seemed to be hurt all year), but now with the Transfer Portal you can change that in a week. My fear is he brings in a ton of upper class OL from other schools and the OL coach is able to get them to gel quickly. Otherwise it is what USC has been the last few years, tons of 5 Star QBs, WRs, and DBs who no line in front of them.

from now.

Honestly, as much as it pains me, I expect that Riley will have USC running at a high level. Their OL is trash currently and I’m not impressed with the front 7 on defense, don’t seem physical or fast (football fast). His ability to recruit and a good DC hire will change that rapidly IMO.
I see them as contending for a NC in 3 years.

LSU could go either way, we have to assume they’ll get very good talent, even poor coaches have been able to do that there. That said I took a look at their next 3 years of schedules and it’s brutuL as the SEC West is clearly the best division in all of CFB with every team seemingly on the rise. They also play cross over games with UF and UT, and play USC to open in 2024. Personally, I think it’ll hinge on BKs ability to get a QB, same as at ND. I can see LSU being a team that wins 8 games and then follows it up with 11 wins. Not sure as the schedule is extremely tough and I’m not sure how BK fits in down there.

OU, man I’m a big fan of Veneables. I hope he does well and I think initially he’ll steady the ship and hold it together, specifically if he can get a quality OC. My concern is when they join the SEC, how are the divisions aligned will make a difference for sure, some talk of conferences getting rid of divisions to ensure the best teams make the playoff Ala B12. I can see OU becoming a more physical football team under Veneables on both sides of the ball.

Miami, Mario knows everything Miami. He’s a great recruiter but much like BK his knock has been recruiting and developing the QB position. I’ve read he’s extremely popular amongst his players and staff. If Miami can’t win now with Mario then not sure they’ll ever do it again. I expect Miami to be fighting with Clemson for the ACC crown in 3 years.

Notre Dame - ND is in a good place, much of the support staff and a good portion of the coaching staff will remain in place for a program that’s had a lot of recent success. My concern is getting a good DC, OL and QB coach/Passing game coordinator to recruit an elite QB and develop them as that was clearly Kelly’s Achilles heel. Can Marcus take the next step and win the game in which ND isn’t favored?
Good analysis. Only know about Riley. He brought Grinch, the OU D coordinator, to USC. They need a lot of work. From some improvement in 2019 and last year after Riley fired Mike Stoops, OU D regressed this year. So obviously prefer Venables who will take over that part. USC obviously has the talent to have winning seasons but if Oregon gets Kelly hard to see USC surpassing Oregon or Utah anytime soon. Especially since they have to play the Irish every year.

Rumors of Brady for OC. I think Dorsey would be a good fit but maybe he’s content in the pros.

My quick intuitive take:

ND: We'll be fortunate to maintain the current status quo, just as a matter of odds and the academic standards...but I feel Freeman will be one of those successful assistant to head coaching stories, getting > than the sum of the parts.

USC: If Riley can get the same commitment and support as Pete C did, yeah, USC has in my view the greatest college football potential of all given monopoly potential on California talent.

OU: Might become Nebraska, just don't see the draw in an SEC with bigger current names.

LSU: BK will might win his NC if Oregon and Miles could.

Miami: flash in the pan outlier that probably never again will recapture that.

My quick intuitive take:

ND: We'll be fortunate to maintain the current status quo, just as a matter of odds and the academic standards...but I feel Freeman will be one of those successful assistant to head coaching stories, getting > than the sum of the parts.

USC: If Riley can get the same commitment and support as Pete C did, yeah, USC has in my view the greatest college football potential of all given monopoly potential on California talent.

OU: Might become Nebraska, just don't see the draw in an SEC with bigger current names.

LSU: BK will might win his NC if Oregon and Miles could.

Miami: flash in the pan outlier that probably never again will recapture that.

Kelly is not winning a NC

Reactions: NDinNJ
I will answer this after Jan 1...

But this I will guarantee.
2 of the 5 schools you mentioned will part ways with their new hire.

Welcome to the era of holy shit you must win 2 titles in one season expectations from these dick head AD's/BOT's.

5 years from now just wait when a new coach starts a year 2-4 at an elite program.
ESPN will hold half time firing specials.

I will answer this after Jan 1...

But this I will guarantee.
2 of the 5 schools you mentioned will part ways with their new hire.

Welcome to the era of holy shit you must win 2 titles in one season expectations from these dick head AD's/BOT's.

5 years from now just wait when a new coach starts a year 2-4 at an elite program.
ESPN will hold half time firing specials.
It’s Not like they aren’t being compensated for their troubles!

Miami as a real recruiting factor along with USC‘s return to recruiting is a good thing for parity.
Nolonger can the same 3-4 teams rape the far west or southern Fla. area. Elite players will be more distributed among Top 20 rather than the same top 5.

CU, Alabama, and UGA each had former 5* QB’s previously 100% CB’s to USC. Each winds-up in SEC. assisting or leading their teams to CCG’s or playoff contention. And there are otherpositions similarly influenced.
The coaching shakeup might prove beneficial to parity.

USC, LSU, OU are committed top (admin) to bottom to winning a NC, and will. Miami has thus far failed at its obsessive compulsive focus to matching Florida’s academic prowess, and will not. ND generally leans toward the Miami model.

Miami is making major changes to upgrade it’s ability to compete.

It’s Not like they aren’t being compensated for their troubles!
Oh listen....don't get me started on the salaries of these coaches which is equally ridiculous....
But what is most absurd is these schools have the money to hire and fire and play a coaching roulette until someone meets lofty, perhaps unrealistic, expectations.

If they have that much money to flush down the toilet then they need to reduce their god damn tuition.
Priorities....it's supposed to be an institute for higher learning, right? Or is it the junior NFL that happens to also have classes...(for some)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT