ADVERTISEMENT

Problem with your Defense

It's same old. It's not pop Warner...I'd welcome pop Warner at this point.

It's a total cluster **** because they are STUDENT ATHLETES and can't devote 6 hours daily on film for the opponent like the NFL.

Moreover ...the simple text book tackle is NOT being reiterated ...so let's just start there and end there.

Reactions: gavin1989
I thought tackling had been replaced by big hitting in college
They sure are trying aren't they.

I did see a lot of our defensive backs paying tribute to Max Redfield's hit only then look surprised they don't fall down.

So apparently all is well in south bend.

Reactions: gavin1989
In a dozen season watching recruiting, I have not seen defensive recruiting so 'empty' and devoid of optimism.

Not the players, go back and watch...Your schemes are horrible and misaligned...Pop warner

Whoever your DC is, needs a one way ticket out of south bend..

Care to elaborate? What personnel would you use and when? Pop Warner is way too vague. Detail what you would do please.

the team is what it is, trades waivers, cuts and free agent signings are not an option.
Recruiting is the only shopping vehicle.

Not the players, go back and watch...Your schemes are horrible and misaligned...Pop warner

Whoever your DC is, needs a one way ticket out of south bend..
Does everyone realize this is a Texas troll trying to start sh%t? Our records will both be 1-1 after Saturday.

the team is what it is, trades waivers, cuts and free agent signings are not an option.
Recruiting is the only shopping vehicle.
That 2005 class was ripe with momentum including the likes of Steve Quinn, Kevin Washington, Darrell Hand and Ray Hereing. Stout

Reactions: Bodizephax
That 2005 class was ripe with momentum including the likes of Steve Quinn, Kevin Washington, Darrell Hand and Ray Hereing. Stout

what does 2005 have to do with
the current talent of D
my statement?

if your going to make irrelevant comment, stbleast leave meout of it

It's simple to me. Simplify things. One of the above post hit it on the head these guys don't have all day to study film and learn complicated NFL schemes it is not their full time job. If the opposing team dictates you to have a nickel defense out there then do so if not have whatever base package you want whether it's a 5-3, or a 4-4.

If this was my defense I would play a 4-4 with Cage and Jones at tackle, Tillery and Rochelle at the ends and you can rotate in as needed for rest. At LB in the 4-4 I would play Onawalu and Tranquil at the outside backer positions and at MLB I would play Morgan and Coney. CB's would be Luke and Crawford. The safety position is where it gets complicated after moving Tranquil to outside backer. Studstil would obviously be a starter for me but the second safety position would be an open tryout between Coleman, Elliot, Watkins, Avery. All those players are 195 pounds plus and will have more range than Tranquil.

Playing a 4-4 allows you to move LB's around a bit to either bring pressure or appear to be bringing pressure then drop off in coverage. It also allows you to bring pressure with your two quicker LB's Tranquil/Onawalu from anywhere whether it's inside or out. Tillery being a defensive end would bring more size to set the edge but he is also quick enough to get to the QB off the edge.

I could go on and on with my defensive thoughts but I just don't have the time right now. These were just a couple of quick thoughts that I had I'm interested in hearing some feedback. Go Irish!!!

well the issue is
the best plan is no better than the people executing it
BVG is the 'planner' and he also shops for the people

in ND's case:
the plan is flawed
the shopper is flawed
the talent is flawed

An immediate solution is going to involve miracles or divine intervention.

Jarrett Grace was on ISD Powerhour and he was not criticizing but he did say that BVG's defense was very, very complex and would be almost impossible for a freshman to grasp. He said while the Bears defense was different than ND they were equally complex.

Fairly damning statement IMO

well, 6 yrs and now likely 7; 2017 is a tough schedule and 2016 defensive recruiting is whiffing.
the 12-0 coach is looking at the worst case scenario of being an 0-12 coach.
If he finishes that way, but goes out with 700 W % , does he get a statue? what would be the legacy?

For me, if that occurs, with no major bowl or NC, what is left? I will always remember his treatment of Dayne on National TV; the NW game and a few ither coaching decisions.

Nebraska ran a similar defense to that of the 85 Bears in the 90's. But they had talent and legit speed every where on defense especially along the defense fronts and at CB and safety. ND has talent along the defense front, but nowhere near the talent of those defenses especially at defensive end. Nebraska had multiple players with 10 plus sacks per season without having blitz that much.

Not to mention ND's corners outside of Luke are not that great in press coverage. I think ND needs Watkins back to play opposite Luke immediately. I do like Tranquil playing in the box more often though in a 3-3-5 alignment. It would be nice see Jalen Elliot can get some game time experience on the field.

the BVG defensive scheme may be a 'failure', but defensively the roster is lacking in talent and depth when compared to the contending top 10 teams. Watching some of the offenses the 1st 2 weeks, there are more than a few that would simply march up/down the field vs ND's defense. Luckily they are not on the ND schedule.
And there seems to be no reinforcements on the way by way of recruiting. Maybe Diaco developed his D to compensate for the type of talent he was able to get and not able to get. His D kept everything in front of you and tried to eliminate the big plays while trying to make the other team conduct long drives increasing the chance if a mistake stopping them. It was exciting to see BVG talk of an attacking defense when he arrived, but the simple fact is ND cannot get the talent to actually employ that kind of defense.

In a dozen season watching recruiting, I have not seen defensive recruiting so 'empty' and devoid of optimism.
shut up recruiting not the problem unlike Bodi who drives me crazy sometimes with his constant positivity you are the exact opposite nothing but doom qnd gloom Bodi is a fan your a jerk man cut the shit and admit you are a michigan or Usc fan

One thing is fairly obvious. Containment needs to be stressed. But, BVG already knows that.

you obviously are 12 or less; and I am not sure if that would be your age or IQ.
don't reply, I won't be reading your dribble.

I was impressed with a number of players yesterday, but the defensive side of the ball, particularly the line and some of the LBs really disappointed. The line way to often does not dominate. Nevada was a nothing team and yet stayed in the game for much of the first half. They also controlled their blocks and moved the ND defensive linemen around when necessary - particularly in the first half. You have to wonder if its not the DC, but the real lack of talent at the line and some other positions. Just an observation. The offense has some really good players. They could use a burner type at WR like Fuller, perhaps Sanders turns into that guy, a more dominant TE, but otherwise the offense can play with any one. Play calling on offense was very bland and vanilla. Kizer is a terrific talent, hope Samford can work with him - and 8 & 4?...well, maybe he can stay out of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT