ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele's NCAA Experience Chart

melstew

All Star
Feb 2, 2005
I am a fan of Phil Steele. One of the many things I like is his experience chart--which is an interesting algorithm. It is really helpful in making early season wagers. And, it is a pretty good gauge to whether a team will improve or fall off. Any way--here are where ND's opponents fall on the chart (the lower the number the more experience).

Ohio State 44 (it's a problem when a team with great recruits brings back good numbers--this is going to be really tough)
Marshall 93 (Irish have 93 problems but Marshall is not one of them)
Cal 127 (there are only 131 teams--Bad News for the Bears)
NC 67 (middle of the road--NC State is best in ACC at #10)
BYU 5 (if going on the road to Vegas was not tough enough...at least we have those tighty whiteys going for us)
Stanford 30 (second highest in PAC 12--trailing only the Beavs--RIP Wally)
UNLV 71 (average--Boise leads mountain west at 11)
Cuse 15 (trap game at the Carrier Dome?)
Clemson 40 (it's a problem when a team with great recruits brings back good numbers--if DJU can re-master the QB position this will be an elite team)
Navy 89 (just avoid injuries)
BC 72 (the fighting Phil J's may be mediocre)
USC 102 (I know they have a gajillion transfers, but still at least a year away)

Average score is 65.5. Our average opponent is 62, so a little more experienced than average. BTW--we are #64.

Interesting numbers.

Clemson will be tough because of those 5 star freshman DL we pushed around 2 years ago now are 5 star Junior DL with three years in the weight room.

The BYU returning guys are all probably 25 years old.

USC has a ton of skill talent and two good OL. Do they have three other good OL, or any DL? Their depth may be tested by the time they play ND.

NDs returning numbers are deceiving - Our OTs have 3 or 4 starts? But would you trade them for anyone else? Does Joseph count as a returning starter? Liufau has one start maybe, but would have 12 if he didn't break his foot last year?

CFB cannot come soon enough.

I'm surprised that both Clemson and OSU are in the 40s with all of those 4 and 5 star recruits. Those will be tough games - especially that OSU offense

I'm surprised that both Clemson and OSU are in the 40s with all of those 4 and 5 star recruits. Those will be tough games - especially that OSU offense
Ohio State was a very young team last year, which played a big part in why they were so inconsistent. Most of the best playmakers were underclassmen, and in some cases freshman.

Now this season I believe they return 6 starters on offense and 8 on defense, but return a lot of guys in the 2 deep that played last season.

Reactions: melstew
I am a fan of Phil Steele. One of the many things I like is his experience chart--which is an interesting algorithm. It is really helpful in making early season wagers. And, it is a pretty good gauge to whether a team will improve or fall off. Any way--here are where ND's opponents fall on the chart (the lower the number the more experience).

Ohio State 44 (it's a problem when a team with great recruits brings back good numbers--this is going to be really tough)
Marshall 93 (Irish have 93 problems but Marshall is not one of them)
Cal 127 (there are only 131 teams--Bad News for the Bears)
NC 67 (middle of the road--NC State is best in ACC at #10)
BYU 5 (if going on the road to Vegas was not tough enough...at least we have those tighty whiteys going for us)
Stanford 30 (second highest in PAC 12--trailing only the Beavs--RIP Wally)
UNLV 71 (average--Boise leads mountain west at 11)
Cuse 15 (trap game at the Carrier Dome?)
Clemson 40 (it's a problem when a team with great recruits brings back good numbers--if DJU can re-master the QB position this will be an elite team)
Navy 89 (just avoid injuries)
BC 72 (the fighting Phil J's may be mediocre)
USC 102 (I know they have a gajillion transfers, but still at least a year away)

Average score is 65.5. Our average opponent is 62, so a little more experienced than average. BTW--we are #64.
Where’s Ga and Bama Melstew?

Ohio State was a very young team last year, which played a big part in why they were so inconsistent. Most of the best playmakers were underclassmen, and in some cases freshman.

Now this season I believe they return 6 starters on offense and 8 on defense, but return a lot of guys in the 2 deep that played last season.
That's great to know.

The game I worry about the most is BYU.

As long as we don't lose to OSU by 20 plus points...we can still get in. Particularly if we shred the rest of the schedule.

But BYU is like that lurking in the weeds gotcha game.

Reactions: NDinNJ and melstew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT