ADVERTISEMENT

Pains me to Say

NDIRISH53

Posts Like A Champion
Aug 13, 2016
This officially put the nail in the coffin that Brady > Montana. We me never see a better quarterback so long as we have the NFL. Is brady the Jordan of NFL? Gotta think so. Unbelievable performance when it mattered last night. Got me thinking, who is NE's second best player? Gronk? Hurt. No real stars on D. Unbelievable QB HC combo that will never be surpassed.

This officially put the nail in the coffin that Brady > Montana. We me never see a better quarterback so long as we have the NFL. Is brady the Jordan of NFL? Gotta think so. Unbelievable performance when it mattered last night. Got me thinking, who is NE's second best player? Gronk? Hurt. No real stars on D. Unbelievable QB HC combo that will never be surpassed.

Jordan wasn't even the Russell of the NBA.

Brady was also fortunate to have some pretty decent receivers. They may not have been flashy, but when the game was on the line, boy could they catch and hold on to those passes.

Reactions: ndnd and Kelso86
Brady has lost super bowls. Jordan was 6 for 6 in the NBA Finals. Montana was 4 and 0 with no interceptions in the super bowl. Great performance but ultimate choke job by the Falcons aftet the Julio Jones grab. Run the ball and set up for a field goal.
Yup. You can say the falcons choked more than the pats overcame. I'm not gonna say brady is superior at his respective sport than Michael, but they are both the GOAT. I'd go in no order Babe Ruth, Brady, MJ, Gretzky

Reactions: ndnd
Brady and the Pats still had to make the plays to win the game, including two 2 point conversions. It wasn't all a Falcons fail that won the game for the Pats. There is no other QB in the world that I would rather have behind Center in crunch time than Tom Brady. Shed no tears for the Falcons. They will be back in the hunt. Next time, with knowledge and experience.

Reactions: Kelso86
If people feel Brady is the best ever, fine. I have no issues with that. His numbers speak for themselves. Keep in mind that today's NFL is nothing like it was 20 , 30 or 40 years ago. Sure, it's still a gladiator type sport. But it's more like flag football than anything else. The game is predicated on passing. Receivers essentially run untouched. If you do put a hand on them after 5 yards , the flag comes flying. 90 percent of all plays are from the shotgun. The QB in today's NFL doesn't get hit as often as before when all QBs were under center.

Elway , Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, to name a few were tops when they played. Heck, Roger Staubach played in 4 Super Bowls and won 2. But people forget he came out of the Naval academy in 1964 and did 5 years service. He didn't see an NFL field until 1971. Think of what he could have done in those 5 years. Again , it was much a different game. The QBs I mentioned beat you passing and running themselves. Brady rarely runs. Anyway, Brady is awesome. It's hard to compare eras. But one thing the best of the best do. They all elevate their game at the biggest moment and the players around them believe they will always find a way to win because of their leader.

... . It's hard to compare eras. But one thing the best of the best do. They all elevate their game at the biggest moment and the players around them believe they will always find a way to win because of their leader.

Agreed ... hard to compare eras ... how would Brady do back in the 1950s and 1960s? Look at former Giants great Y. A. Tittle ...

y.a.-tittle_morris-berman_getty-538x630.jpg

I believe Brady is the best NFL player of all-time and Belichick is the best NFL head coach of all-time.

We'll never see a luckier QB in my opinion. He's a good pocket passer but ATL and Seattle have gifted him two titles. Was Brian Kelly calling the plays in two of the last three SB's?

Put TB on a team with an average OLine and he would've been out of the league years ago.
Uhhh... did you see his oline last night? Absolute garbage until midway through 3rd. Brady takes care of his body like a mad man. He may have 3 more great years

Im not a Tom Brady fan by no means, but he has worked harder then any other player that I have ever seen to be great. If Lloyd Carr wouldn't have been pressured into playing Drew Henson at Michigan; Brady would never have been a Patriot. The last 2 superbowl wins, Tom played lights out. But questionable play calling by Seattle and Atlanta cost them championships, especially in the case of Seattle. Running the football near the end zone and in short yardage situations wins championships.

Montana. All day. Every day. Let us not forget Otto Graham. 10 years in the league, 10 championship games, 7 titles. The game has changed so much no real way to compare. Can you imagine what Marino would have done with today's rules? 100 TD passes in a season isn't out of the question. All great players.

Reactions: Kelso86
Montana wouldn't go 10-0. He couldn't even make it to the super bowl more then Brady. And Brady had to face manning and big ben

Brady has lost super bowls. Jordan was 6 for 6 in the NBA Finals. Montana was 4 and 0 with no interceptions in the super bowl. Great performance but ultimate choke job by the Falcons aftet the Julio Jones grab. Run the ball and set up for a field goal.

The worst coaching job IMO in Super Bowl History. 4:40 to go. In field goal range. (43 yarder in a dome) Run the ball three times. Insane.

And now he's the head coach of the 49ers... fans must be outraged

I don't blame the OC on this. Your up 16 with 9 minutes to go. Your playing a dink and dunk offensive team. They will score but will eat up clock to score. Why is Atlanta throwing the ball? The most potent offense in the NFL. The HC with 4 minutes to go tells the OC, " Run the ball three times" End of story.

With a fantastic player like Tom Brady it's easy to make the case he is the greatest because his playoff and Superbowl success is now unrivaled. However, I think a case can still be made for Joe. Joe, like Brady, enjoyed most of his success with one team, the 49ers. But unlike Brady, Joe was also able to prove his greatness by playing and succeeding with a different team. In his first year with the KC Chiefs in 1993, Joe led his team to the AFC Championship game and their most successful season in 22 years. In 1994 he again led the Chiefs to the playoffs. Along the way he beat his old 49ers team; a much more talented team led by Steve Young that would go on to win the Superbowl that year. He also elevated the Chiefs to beat their main nemesis: John Elway and Mile High Stadium, ending two curses in the process. The Chiefs hadn't beaten the Broncos at Mile High Stadium in 6 years and Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer had his own record of futility against Elway dating back to his days as coach of the Browns, but instead of Elway once again breaking the Chiefs' and Schottenheimer's heart, it was Montana who executed the last-minute game winning drive to exorcise those Elway demons for a Chiefs win. Montana didn't win a Superbowl in his two, and ultimately final years with the Chiefs, but Schottenheimer has since said the '93 Chiefs team was the greatest team he ever coached in large part because he had Montana.

In contrast, Brady has never had to play for anyone else but Bill Belichick. I think he would be great in other offensive systems but he's never had to prove it. On the other hand, the Patriots and Belichick have had to prove they could play without Brady and they've succeeded. In 2008 they went 11-5 with Matt Cassel, a backup QB in college, at the helm, and this year they went 3-1 with the likes of Jimmy Garopollo and Jacoby Brissett. So the question is, if the Patriots can succeed with marginal talent like Cassel, or unproven talent like Garopollo and Brissett, is Brady the true secret to New England's success or is it really Belichick?

Now, before you say it, yes, the 49ers also proved they could succeed without Montana but they did it with Steve Young, one of the greatest college QB's of all time who then became one of the greatest NFL QB's ever. Young isn't proof that any QB could have succeeded in SF's system. He was an elite talent to begin with. On a personal note, I always use Steve Young as a counter argument for anyone who tries to promote the idea that John Elway was the greatest QB of all time. I always respond by saying Young could do everything Elway could do but he did it better. Just look up his passer rating and rushing stats and compare the two QB's. And since no one thinks Young is the greatest QB ever because he wasn't better than Montana, no one should think Elway is the greatest either.

But I digress. The point is, Montana was able to prove his greatness outside of SF. Brady has never had to prove he can be great without Belichick. Of course, the same could be said about Belichick - he's never been able to prove he can win a Superbowl without Brady.

So that leaves us where we started. I have no qualms with anyone making the argument Brady is the GOAT. He has an extremely solid case, but for those of us who still think it's Montana I think we also have solid ground to stand on.

We'll never see a luckier QB in my opinion. He's a good pocket passer but ATL and Seattle have gifted him two titles. Was Brian Kelly calling the plays in two of the last three SB's?
You can say this but what about the two Giants SB's where Brady gave his team the lead late and a couple miracle plays went against his team to lose those games??? In my opinion people can talk about luck all they want but you have to point out the ones that have gone against him and the Pats as well. They have pretty much equaled out in my opinion for good Ole TB12 and his 5-2 SB record is exactly where it should be. If you don't think he is the greatest QB of all time you need to question your football IQ.

And now he's the head coach of the 49ers... fans must be outraged
Shanahan could have been elected mayor of Atlanta on Saturday, Monday people wanted to pick up the tab for his flight to San Fran. Epic coaching failure. Run the ball three times, let your pro bowl kicker put you up by 11, game over. But Quinn's not off the hook on this, he has veto power. Too bad he didn't exercise it.

You can say this but what about the two Giants SB's where Brady gave his team the lead late and a couple miracle plays went against his team to lose those games??? In my opinion people can talk about luck all they want but you have to point out the ones that have gone against him and the Pats as well. They have pretty much equaled out in my opinion for good Ole TB12 and his 5-2 SB record is exactly where it should be. If you don't think he is the greatest QB of all time you need to question your football IQ.
Here is something for your football iq.
Montana: winning % in SB: 1000
College NC
Brady: Not so much.

Shanahan could have been elected mayor of Atlanta on Saturday, Monday people wanted to pick up the tab for his flight to San Fran. Epic coaching failure. Run the ball three times, let your pro bowl kicker put you up by 11, game over. But Quinn's not off the hook on this, he has veto power. Too bad he didn't exercise it.
It rarely is that simple, but it is this time. Just an amazing choke by Shanahan. I admire Brady for his commitment to excel, but the so-called experts anointing him the greatest ever based largely on his record breaking fifth SB win, ignores the reality that the last two were gift wrapped with inexplicable poor calls by Seattle and Atlanta. Doubt these same folks would be calling Brady the best ever with three SB wins and even more losses. That said, he was masterful in the second half.

So if Joe Montana went to three more Super Bowls with him losing 2/3. Then would he be the greatest?

It rarely is that simple, but it is this time. Just an amazing choke by Shanahan. I admire Brady for his commitment to excel, but the so-called experts anointing him the greatest ever based largely on his record breaking fifth SB win, ignores the reality that the last two were gift wrapped with inexplicable poor calls by Seattle and Atlanta. Doubt these same folks would be calling Brady the best ever with three SB wins and even more losses. That said, he was masterful in the second half.
You can say if he won 3... but he won 5. Also there's no guarantee marshawn lynch scores? The pats knew exactly what play was coming due to practice for days. If they lined up in a different set and handed it to marshawn they would have known! Also, who led the 4th quarter drive against the Seahawks? Who lead the drive to set up the game winning field goal against the greatest show on turf? Who lead the team to tie the game in the late 4th AND threw the two point conversion? You're right maybe I wouldn't be saying brady is the GOAT if he had 3... but guess what? He has FIVE.

Reactions: Irish Duck
So you're telling me you'd rather have ND win 4 nattys in the next hundred years then get to 7 and win 5 of them?
Kelly got to one NC game and got blown out. Does that make him as good a coach as Mack Brown who is 1-0.

Tom Brady is the most accomplished QB ever to play

He is not the best QB ever to play

There is a difference

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT