ADVERTISEMENT

OT Rock has lost a Legend

John Bonham
Kieth Moon
Ginger Baker
Neil Pert
Mitch Mitchell

HM: Alex Van Halen

In that order, are in a totally different galaxy than the rest. Obviously subjective, but felt you left out 2-3 guys who deserved to be mentioned.
Neil Peart should be the top of every list
Bobham, and Moon recorded in a time when there wasn't alot of emphasis on the drums (seen Zeplin/Bonham....excellent) but Neil Peart made it a science
Death Metal drummers have taken it to a new level.
I did like you put Alex Van Halen. He is awesome as well

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Unlike the list of drummers you guys listed, Neil wrote almost all of the lyrics to the songs the band wrote. Most drummers don't get any or very few credits for writing. Neil separated himself from the field on that level. Dave Grohl would be closest in talent with regards to writing.
Not a fan of Foo Fighters but have total respect for David Grohl

Reactions: nemeth#5
Not a Big Rush fan. But huge respect to their musical ability. I do admit though Closer to the Heart and Working Man are classic great songs! As is Tom Sawyer. RIP.

Neil Peart should be the top of every list
Bobham, and Moon recorded in a time when there wasn't alot of emphasis on the drums (seen Zeplin/Bonham....excellent) but Neil Peart made it a science
Death Metal drummers have taken it to a new level.
I did like you put Alex Van Halen. He is awesome as well

From my view what Bonham did with the with half time shuffle and other grooves was other worldly. His genius on the snare and taking jazz influenced beats and rhythms and bringing them into the forefront of rock n roll is why I have him there. He was more than just the guy who hit it hard, Moon was a very hit it hard guy. I am going to find this video where it does a great job explaining how Zep would flip during the songs from drums leading to guitar leading, it was revolutionary. So for me it a mix of how you hit it and the sound with the ingenuity and creativity of music. No doubt, to your point Neil is there just not the top for me, but as i have tried to explain no right or wrong here just fun to discuss music! I think what I was trying to say is those guys I mentioned regardless of where you put them are far above the rest.

What sets Rush apart is the sound they put out for a 3 man band, at least for me. When you think of Rush you think Neil Peart.

Alex gets no love and I like to throw him in there. Also, Don Henley gets no love as a drummer. Though his talents as just a musician are above and beyond.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
From my view what Bonham did with the with half time shuffle and other grooves was other worldly. His genius on the snare and taking jazz influenced beats and rhythms and bringing them into the forefront of rock n roll is why I have him there. He was more than just the guy who hit it hard, Moon was a very hit it hard guy. I am going to find this video where it does a great job explaining how Zep would flip during the songs from drums leading to guitar leading, it was revolutionary. So for me it a mix of how you hit it and the sound with the ingenuity and creativity of music. No doubt, to your point Neil is there just not the top for me, but as i have tried to explain no right or wrong here just fun to discuss music! I think what I was trying to say is those guys I mentioned regardless of where you put them are far above the rest.

What sets Rush apart is the sound they put out for a 3 man band, at least for me. When you think of Rush you think Neil Peart.

Alex gets no love and I like to throw him in there. Also, Don Henley gets no love as a drummer. Though his talents as just a musician are above and beyond.
Excellent post

As Sly Stone once sang, "Different strokes for different folks."

I believe the issue at hand be a lack of knowledge on the subject. Not necessarily a passing of judgment on one's likes or dislikes.

Perhaps if the topic be narrowed to best drummers whom were members of American or British bands popular in the 70s, 80s, and 90s and whoms music was played in regular rotation on classic rock stations I could more easily be willing to digest the list.

I'm not even a fan of Tomas Haake or his band's works. But objectively speaking, he is much more technically superior to any of the other drummers included on this list.

Was just trying to advance the subject beyond the narrow scope of drummers that had been previously listed as they are most definitely not some of the best drummers of all time.

And while people might say music is subjective, one's skills with an instrument is not a subjective matter but a wholly objective one.

Should an individual have only been exposed in their life previously to high school football they may subjectively prefer it; however, that does not mean that objectively high school players possess superior skills to NFL players merely because the person was previously ignorant to the existence of the NFL.

Now I realize most people don't find themselves to have the leisure time to pursue more than a few hobbies. So naturally most will just ingest whatever music gets pushed in their general direction. That phenomenon is all very fine and well but it still does not belie the fact that there are much much better drummers in existence than the ones being discussed here. It has nary to do with any sort of elitist intentions and wholly to do with facts.

I saw Led Zeppelin play at Chicago Stadium in 1975 or thereabouts. My buddies and I couldn't afford good tickets, so we sat up in the nosebleeds. It was hands down the loudest concert I ever went to. Afterward my ears were ringing for 3 days. But those guys put on a great show.

I saw Led Zeppelin play at Chicago Stadium in 1975 or thereabouts. My buddies and I couldn't afford good tickets, so we sat up in the nosebleeds. It was hands down the loudest concert I ever went to. Afterward my ears were ringing for 3 days. But those guys put on a great show.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to you, I was reading @deadprez3 take on music. Safe to say the guy is a total freaking idiot.

Anyway, my dad saw SRV open up for The Who 6 months before stevie died in the astrodome in Houston and he said his ears rang for days, your comment reminded me of that. I would have paid a lot of money to see Zepplin, though their stuff now live is still so rocking. Very few rock bands have the ability to compose music that can also be as beautiful when played by an entire symphony. To me they are just on a different level of music than the rest, especially when it comes to shapes notes and the style of how they played.

My Zeppelin moment was July 1973 Providence Civic Center. It was a "pinch me to make sure I'm not dreaming" event for a 15 year old. I'll never forget the feeling.

I believe the issue at hand be a lack of knowledge on the subject. Not necessarily a passing of judgment on one's likes or dislikes.

Perhaps if the topic be narrowed to best drummers whom were members of American or British bands popular in the 70s, 80s, and 90s and whoms music was played in regular rotation on classic rock stations I could more easily be willing to digest the list.

I'm not even a fan of Tomas Haake or his band's works. But objectively speaking, he is much more technically superior to any of the other drummers included on this list.

Was just trying to advance the subject beyond the narrow scope of drummers that had been previously listed as they are most definitely not some of the best drummers of all time.

And while people might say music is subjective, one's skills with an instrument is not a subjective matter but a wholly objective one.

Should an individual have only been exposed in their life previously to high school football they may subjectively prefer it; however, that does not mean that objectively high school players possess superior skills to NFL players merely because the person was previously ignorant to the existence of the NFL.

Now I realize most people don't find themselves to have the leisure time to pursue more than a few hobbies. So naturally most will just ingest whatever music gets pushed in their general direction. That phenomenon is all very fine and well but it still does not belie the fact that there are much much better drummers in existence than the ones being discussed here. It has nary to do with any sort of elitist intentions and wholly to do with facts.

Mind the clutter please.

Thus spake Zarathrusta.

I don't find it surprising that a snobby elitist would confuse technical proficiency for artistry. Van Gogh was not a technically proficient painter, but most would agree he became a great artist. All that time you spend with your nose in the air and looking down on the rest of us has impaired your critical thinking skills.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to you, I was reading @deadprez3 take on music. Safe to say the guy is a total freaking idiot.

@Rich Starkey I would like to draw your attention to this unprovoked personal attack by @Catholicfan95

Surely such overt malice from one towards another shall not remain without reprimand?

I must also note that his opinion of my intelligence level is wholly and entirely off the subject which had primarily been to this point about the best drummers whom played for American and British bands in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Also, this behavior should be considered unacceptable given this very poster lamented to you no later than last night about one not keeping to a subject matter.

I hope that you shall consider my grievances on the matter. Thank you

@Rich Starkey I would like to draw your attention to this unprovoked personal attack by @Catholicfan95

Surely such overt malice from one towards another shall not remain without reprimand?

I must also note that his opinion of my intelligence level is wholly and entirely off the subject which had primarily been to this point about the best drummers whom played for American and British bands in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Also, this behavior should be considered unacceptable given this very poster lamented to you no later than last night about one not keeping to a subject matter.

Worth every penny.

Thus spake Zarathrusta.

I don't find it surprising that a snobby elitist would confuse technical proficiency for artistry. Van Gogh was not a technically proficient painter, but most would agree he became a great artist. All that time you spend with your nose in the air and looking down on the rest of us has impaired your critical thinking skills.

Again, I would implore you to look past whatever personal animosities you may harbor against me and at least take some time to admire the man's work. You might even enjoy it.

There is a whole nother world of brilliant musicians out there should you so choose to explore them.

I had many employees and acquaintances such as yourself with very limited exposure to the different and vast arrays of music out there, even within their own preferred genre. I was able to open their eyes for them and they are still to this day grateful to me.

Should you have means to a smart phone and a sufficient monthly allotment of data and/or internet access I would recommend you download one of the available music streaming apps from which you will literally have millions of new artists and songs at your disposal.

There is a high probability that your inner self will desire works other than those that have been forced down your throat by the music industry conglomerates all these years. I think you will find great glee and joy in the activity!!

My Zeppelin moment was July 1973 Providence Civic Center. It was a "pinch me to make sure I'm not dreaming" event for a 15 year old. I'll never forget the feeling.
Mine was in 70' at the Specturm in philly while visting our grandparents....i was 9 and it changed my outlook in music

0xdjaWE.gif

Regrettably you fellows were not of the same mindset last night for I could have continued my discourses on the women's basketball program.

But we are all human and it is natural to cast preferences on some individuals over others--as my poor friend chaseball regrettably knows.

I prostrate myself before you and beg for forgiveness for my unreasonable expectation that everyone be treated equally, fairly, and just. Please do not exert your great power upon me lest I find this username vanquished to the wastelands.

Regrettably you fellows were not of the same mindset last night for I could have continued my discourses on the women's basketball program.

But we are all human and it is natural to cast preferences on some individuals over others--as my poor friend chaseball regrettably knows.

I prostrate myself before you and beg for forgiveness for my unreasonable expectation that everyone be treated equally, fairly, and just. Please do not exert your great power upon me lest I find this username vanquished to the wastelands.
67eb52898dda15eb7dc1ca1cc910db4f.jpg

I did no more venture down the pursuit other than to illustrate the hypocrisy for which others operate themselves around here.

Opine about the financial viability of an athletics program? Be threatened with the reality of needing to secure another email address.

Issue unprovoked personal assaults on others? No repercussions or threats to obtain a new email address.

The realities of which are humorous to me. The thought that you were to believe I actually would suffer distress from the situation further enhances my experience.

I did no more venture down the pursuit other than to illustrate the hypocrisy for which others operate themselves around here.

Opine about the financial viability of an athletics program? Be threatened with the reality of needing to secure another email address.

Issue unprovoked personal assaults on others? No repercussions or threats to obtain a new email address.

The realities of which are humorous to me. The thought that you were to believe I actually would suffer distress from the situation further enhances my experience.

Dude, come on. You were bashing a group of people who were talking about Notre Dame women's basketball and called it clutter to a Notre Dame board, does that make sense to you? If you are going to talk the talk and assume that you can just belittle people left and right and tell people what to post and what not to, I think its worth pointing out you have absolutely no backing on this board. Case and point with the above that no one takes what you say seriously. Again, this is a Notre Dame message board so whether it be football or womens golf it is all relevant because we are fans of Notre Dame and it does not just halt at football for most of us. Normally, when you are a big fan of a school, you follow every sport, watch academic achievements etc. it is all relevant to 99% of us. I am sorry you do not share the sentiment but maybe you do not have to engage on threads that do not interest you.

But to get back on this thread of rock n roll. For you to say that the list of drummers mentioned have no musical skill to denote or separate them as the best of all time is so wrong that it just leads everyone here to believe that you have nothing better to do than to get on this board and live out this fantasy that you are some high level genius who's opinions are so well structured by your life experience that you have unlimited insight in to all things. When in fact, you seem to portray just how out of touch you are.

Here is a very credible source when it comes to ranking drummers and why. Now, art is subjective so this is not a set in stone list as it varies with each listener, but I think Rolling Stone knows more about the artistry of music than our collective knowledge as a group, and when it comes to ranking the best of all time I think their track record in the industry would suggest that they know what they are talking about. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-drummers-of-all-time-77933/ If you do not think that John Bonham is one of if not the best drummer of all time, I would recommend that you watch the YouTube clip I put in this thread, it is very informative and breaks down how talented he was.

Continue to carry on, you are just irritating everyone on here. But I can't help myself sometimes, proving you wrong and watching you dig this hole to the ends of the earth is actually quite hilarious as well, even though it is played out.

You doth protest too much, @deadprez3.

The message here is a simple one: Don't behave like a petulant child and then run home crying to mommy when the kid down the block punches you in the nose.

Last edited:
Dude, come on. You were bashing a group of people who were talking about Notre Dame women's basketball and called it clutter to a Notre Dame board, does that make sense to you? If you are going to talk the talk and assume that you can just belittle people left and right and tell people what to post and what not to, I think its worth pointing out you have absolutely no backing on this board. Case and point with the above that no one takes what you say seriously. Again, this is a Notre Dame message board so whether it be football or womens golf it is all relevant because we are fans of Notre Dame and it does not just halt at football for most of us. Normally, when you are a big fan of a school, you follow every sport, watch academic achievements etc. it is all relevant to 99% of us. I am sorry you do not share the sentiment but maybe you do not have to engage on threads that do not interest you.

But to get back on this thread of rock n roll. For you to say that the list of drummers mentioned have no musical skill to denote or separate them as the best of all time is so wrong that it just leads everyone here to believe that you have nothing better to do than to get on this board and live out this fantasy that you are some high level genius who's opinions are so well structured by your life experience that you have unlimited insight in to all things. When in fact, you seem to portray just how out of touch you are.

Here is a very credible source when it comes to ranking drummers and why. Now, art is subjective so this is not a set in stone list as it varies with each listener, but I think Rolling Stone knows more about the artistry of music than our collective knowledge as a group, and when it comes to ranking the best of all time I think their track record in the industry would suggest that they know what they are talking about. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-drummers-of-all-time-77933/ If you do not think that John Bonham is one of if not the best drummer of all time, I would recommend that you watch the YouTube clip I put in this thread, it is very informative and breaks down how talented he was.

Continue to carry on, you are just irritating everyone on here. But I can't help myself sometimes, proving you wrong and watching you dig this hole to the ends of the earth is actually quite hilarious as well, even though it is played out.

Should one not question whether Rolling Stone find great financial success by crafting their opinions to those that might be held by the masses? Would that not be a clever strategy to partake upon?

The fact that you cite that periodical and champion its credibility further deteriorates your qualifications to opine on such matters.

The issue lies in that your musical tastes and preferences were crafted and developed and forced upon you by the huge music conglomerates for their own financial gains.

The very assertions that you place before here regarding artistry and taste are those that you actually forsaken yourself with.

Read up and explore many of the "great" bands that you admire and I think you may find the genesis of their sound does not lay upon their own makings or intellectual propriety.

Your ignorance on the subject be so vast and your carrying on's as to matters of Rolling Stone be so revolting that it is a monumental affront to the senses that you give even the slightest pretensions that you have even the shallowest of knowledge on the subject of true artistry or musical ingenuity.

But please, continue to educate me on the matter. It does bring me great amusement. Perhaps next you can regale me with a listing of VH1's greatest guitarists of all time or MTV's top 20 emcees of the 2000s.

I wait with bated breath for further enrichment on the subject of musical artistry.

Should one not question whether Rolling Stone find great financial success by crafting their opinions to those that might be held by the masses? Would that not be a clever strategy to partake upon?

The fact that you cite that periodical and champion its credibility further deteriorates your qualifications to opine on such matters.

The issue lies in that your musical tastes and preferences were crafted and developed and forced upon you by the huge music conglomerates for their own financial gains.

The very assertions that you place before here regarding artistry and taste are those that you actually forsaken yourself with.

Read up and explore many of the "great" bands that you admire and I think you may find the genesis of their sound does not lay upon their own makings or intellectual propriety.

Your ignorance on the subject be so vast and your carrying on's as to matters of Rolling Stone be so revolting that it is a monumental affront to the senses that you give even the slightest pretensions that you have even the shallowest of knowledge on the subject of true artistry or musical ingenuity.

But please, continue to educate me on the matter. It does bring me great amusement. Perhaps next you can regale me with a listing of VH1's greatest guitarists of all time or MTV's top 20 emcees of the 2000s.

I wait with bated breath for further enrichment on the subject of musical artistry.

I have plenty of knowledge on music. If you would like to see just go onto iTunes and type in "Lifestyle" by Drew Cable. It is a song that I wrote,recorded and produced this past year. It is country so I doubt you will like it, but just thought I would let you know I am fully aware and educated on this topic.

Who the hell talks like this? Pompous doesn't begin to describe you. Do you have any friends in real life?

I have plenty of knowledge on music. If you would like to see just go onto iTunes and type in "Lifestyle" by Drew Cable. It is a song that I wrote,recorded and produced this past year. It is country so I doubt you will like it, but just thought I would let you know I am fully aware and educated on this topic.
You are from West Virginia and into country? Like Tyler Childers, Sturgill, Billy Strings or any of them other Appalachia type guys?

You are from West Virginia and into country? Like Tyler Childers, Sturgill, Billy Strings or any of them other Appalachia type guys?

Perfect! You should listen to this song, it's on Spotify and everywhere. More Eric church than the rest but I play in the bars Tyler did before he got big. It's been a great ride so far

Perfect! You should listen to this song, it's on Spotify and everywhere. More Eric church than the rest but I play in the bars Tyler did before he got big. It's been a great ride so far
Thats awesome.... well only a few years ago I seen Tyler playing in a bar in Louisville in front of maybe 200..... than a bar in Dallas in front of a thousand+, last year in a Casino in front of more.... and this year I have tickets to see him and Sturgill in Dallas, Chicago, and Portland playing in arenas! Crazy how fast he blew up.

You doth protest too much, @deadprez3.

The message here is a simple one: Don't behave like a petulant child and then run home crying to mommy when the kid down the block punches you in the nose.

I don't think you have an accurate handle on the transpiring of events.

Let me summarize:

I was partaking in an interesting and productive line of discourse with others regarding the financial viability of the women's basketball program when an at that point otherwise uninterested party @Catholicfan95 decided to report me to board moderators on the matter out of personal spite for past grievances.

In order to point out the hypocrisy of his actions and at that point knowing full well the moderators would take no action towards his personal attack on me (which also strayed from the subject--the very reason for my "warning" last night) to preemptively point out their hypocrisy as well, and in also the process of mocking his actions from the night prior, I reported his post to the moderator.

That you to believe him calling me an "idiot" did an actual harm to me emotionally to the point I would report him to moderators absent of any false pretenses brings me much amusement however.

The matter bothered me only to the extent that the warning occurred at a point in time I found myself in the dark administering to my six month old her last bottle of the day and I therefore found myself devoid of any other preferable activity at the time given I was only to be in the room for an additional 15-20 minutes.

Sorry to have disappointed you in your perceptions on how I took the matter.

Thats awesome.... well only a few years ago I seen Tyler playing in a bar in Louisville in front of maybe 200..... than a bar in Dallas in front of a thousand+, last year in a Casino in front of more.... and this year I have tickets to see him and Sturgill in Dallas, Chicago, and Portland playing in arenas! Crazy how fast he blew up.

Just takes off after you put the work in, been following Tyler since he was young and Sturg is one of my favorites! I'm going to see their tour this year.

I don't think you have an accurate handle on the transpiring of events.

Let me summarize:

I was partaking in an interesting and productive line of discourse with others regarding the financial viability of the women's basketball program when an at that point otherwise uninterested party @Catholicfan95 decided to report me to board moderators on the matter out of personal spite for past grievances.

In order to point out the hypocrisy of his actions and at that point knowing full well the moderators would take no action towards his personal attack on me (which also strayed from the subject--the very reason for my "warning" last night) to preemptively point out their hypocrisy as well, and in also the process of mocking his actions from the night prior, I reported his post to the moderator.

That you to believe him calling me an "idiot" did an actual harm to me emotionally to the point I would report him to moderators absent of any false pretenses brings me much amusement however.

The matter bothered me only to the extent that the warning occurred at a point in time I found myself in the dark administering to my six month old her last bottle of the day and I therefore found myself devoid of any other preferable activity at the time given I was only to be in the room for an additional 15-20 minutes.

Sorry to have disappointed you in your perceptions on how I took the matter.

Jim, you're 6'4 and weigh 90 pounds, Gumby has a better body than you. Boom roasted!

Just takes off after you put the work in, been following Tyler since he was young and Sturg is one of my favorites! I'm going to see their tour this year.
Sturgill is my favorite... should be a good tour. You play a lot of shows? Band or acoustic type stuff?

You are correct in deducing my lack of regard for country music.

It is a bit lowbrow for my tastes but I can see how it may hold appeal for others.

I find it amusing to converse as such? Why does it cause you consternation?

Consternation? Not at all. I just wonder why anyone would think it is necessary or desirable to put on airs while posting on a college football message board. Who are you trying to impress? Are you running for president of the blowhard association?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT