ADVERTISEMENT

OT Rock has lost a Legend

I didn't even know Neil was sick. A year or so ago, Rush announced that they are no more. I wonder if it was because of Neil's illness at the time.

I confess to never having been a particularly big fan of Rush, so I never saw him play. Just went on You Tube and watched a little bit of his stuff, and I see why people thought so highly of him. The dude could play. Also watched an interview he gave on Canadian TV. Very intelligent, interesting and thoughtful guy. Not something I would have expected from a drummer in a rock band.

I recently saw an interview with Don McLean of "American Pie" fame. He said that we need to go out and see these greats because they are not going to be around forever. He mentioned Billy Joel,Johnny Mathis, McCartney. You can add Elton, Ramsey Lewis, Ringo, Donald Fagen, Carole King, James Taylor , Moody Blues, Buddy Guy, Mavis Staples and Carly Simon to the list. He said that once these music treasures are gone, they are gone.

Yes this sucks
I was talking to a relative about that last night.

I have a ticket stub of my dads from 1981 when he saw Rush. I was considering posting an OT last night, I'm glad someone did.

Rush is an iconic band and puts out so much sound for just 3 guys.

RIP in peace

I confess to never having been a particularly big fan of Rush, so I never saw him play. Just went on You Tube and watched a little bit of his stuff, and I see why people thought so highly of him. The dude could play. Also watched an interview he gave on Canadian TV. Very intelligent, interesting and thoughtful guy. Not something I would have expected from a drummer in a rock band.
He was the heart and soul of the band.
Conceived every aspect of every album
Truly the "Professor "

Last edited:
I didn't even know Neil was sick. A year or so ago, Rush announced that they are no more. I wonder if it was because of Neil's illness at the time.

Rush put out a documentary of their last tour: rush time stand still, check it out, nice tribute to the band. If you don't want to watch, he tells us why they ended it. A deal with all 3 members, no one can be replaced, all must agree to go on tour or they do not tour at all. Neil, didn't want to do it anymore due to pain in his feet and father time limiting his skills. He didn't feel he can perform to the level he feels was required for him to tour. Also Alex has arthritis in his hands which was going to stop him from touring soon too.

RIP to Neil and to Rush as a band ever performing live again.

He was definitely in my top 3 of drummers

In no particular order

Neil Peart
Dave Lombardo
John Bonham

John Bonham
Kieth Moon
Ginger Baker
Neil Pert
Mitch Mitchell

HM: Alex Van Halen

In that order, are in a totally different galaxy than the rest. Obviously subjective, but felt you left out 2-3 guys who deserved to be mentioned.

It's really difficult to pinpoint the best of anything. There are groups that are better than the rest. Lots of names already mentioned. Add Michael Shrieve, Ringo, Hal Blaine, Gene Krupa, and Buddy Rich.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
John Bonham
Kieth Moon
Ginger Baker
Neil Pert
Mitch Mitchell

In that order, are in a totally different galaxy than the rest. Obviously subjective, but felt you left out 2-3 guys who deserved to be mentioned.
That’s a pretty definitive list. But you will have others taking exception. In some cases glaring omissions. Rock or not you need to consider Buddy Rich, Charlie Watts, Gene Krupa

John Bonham
Kieth Moon
Ginger Baker
Neil Pert
Mitch Mitchell

Given there isn't a scoreboard involved any such list is to the ear of the beholder.

That’s a pretty definitive list. But you will have others taking exception. In some cases glaring omissions. Rock or not you need to consider Buddy Rich, Charlie Watts, Gene Krupa
+1
And anyone who attempts to draw lines in the sand with such a thing as drumming doesn't really understand the beauty and art of music. There is no scoreboard nor monthly rag with some scientific list that's some be all end all.

If it appeals to the listener that's the metric.

Unlike the list of drummers you guys listed, Neil wrote almost all of the lyrics to the songs the band wrote. Most drummers don't get any or very few credits for writing. Neil separated himself from the field on that level. Dave Grohl would be closest in talent with regards to writing.

Yeah for sure, I agree. Subjective obviously so everyone's is different but great mentions!

+1
And anyone who attempts to draw lines in the sand with such a thing as drumming doesn't really understand the beauty and art of music. There is no scoreboard nor monthly rag with some scientific list that's some be all end all.

If it appeals to the listener that's the metric.

Which is why I said it was subjective. Quit playing the victim, I never said you were wrong you big baby. Stop trying to spin it like you know the deeper meaning of music by insinuating that because our lists are different that we are drawing lines in the sand.

I just added names that deserved to be mentioned. Are you ever not the biggest tool on a thread?

To the aforementioned lists of great drummers I would add Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters and Billy Joel's long-time drummer, Liberty DeVitto. I was never really a big fan of Foo Fighters, but I appreciated Grohl's musicianship on the drums. Liberty DeVitto was (and probably still is) really good. What was the line from Dire Straits' Money For Nothing: "He's banging on the bongos like a chimpanzee"?

I'm going to see Billy Joel this June at ND Stadium. I will definitely be paying attention to Billy's drummer now that you mentioned it.

Which is why I said it was subjective. Quit playing the victim, I never said you were wrong you big baby. Stop trying to spin it like you know the deeper meaning of music by insinuating that because our lists are different that we are drawing lines in the sand.

I just added names that deserved to be mentioned. Are you ever not the biggest tool on a thread?
Another response chock full o' maturity.

Let's see...
you quoted a post...mine...

To which you tell us that's the order of best drummers.....

Then follow it up immediately with it saying it's subjective...

Then you follow that up with telling me that I...the listener...left out drummers from MY..me the listeners...list....of just simply stating a top 3...to me personally...the listener.

Then in a fit of rage post some childish response because YOU...
the person who is telling ME..(the listener)...
who I missed from a list....got responded to in a way of exception again because you just can't help yourself from telling everyone on the board how they're thinking. Maturity doesn't change from football to drums. You either have it or you don't.

I'm going to see Billy Joel this June at ND Stadium. I will definitely be paying attention to Billy's drummer now that you mentioned it.

Liberty was Billy Joel's drummer for 30+ years, but Billy and his old band had an ugly falling out over a decade ago, with lawsuits and acrimonious feelings being played out on a public stage. Not uncommon in the rock and roll business, I guess. DeVitto put together a band and was touring for a while with some of his old band mates from the Billy Joel days, but I'm not sure what he might be doing these days; maybe working as a studio musician. I know he is still pretty highly thought of as a rock drummer. I am not sure who Billy Joel is using for a band on his current tour.

I've seen 3 Billy Joel concerts. He puts on a great show. He's always been one of my favorite song writers. I'm debating if my wife and I will attend the ND Stadium concert.

Another response chock full o' maturity.

Let's see...
you quoted a post...mine...

To which you tell us that's the order of best drummers.....

Then follow it up immediately with it saying it's subjective...

Then you follow that up with telling me that I...the listener...left out drummers from MY..me the listeners...list....of just simply stating a top 3...to me personally...the listener.

Then in a fit of rage post some childish response because YOU...
the person who is telling ME..(the listener)...
who I missed from a list....got responded to in a way of exception again because you just can't help yourself from telling everyone on the board how they're thinking. Maturity doesn't change from football to drums. You either have it or you don't.

Okay Cliff Clavin forgot you have all the answers.

Wow councilor, you're a pompous know it all no matter what the topic.

Reactions: deadprez3
Wow councilor, you're a pompous know it all no matter what the topic.

Hey, good to see you hop off another account and use this one.

I find it hilarious you troll me, honored to have a follower so devoted.

You should join the fan club of 88 and deadprez if you really like know it alls, and especially el pres if you like pompous.

Last edited:
I saw Steely Dan before Walter Becker passed. Maybe 7-8 years ago. Anyway, their drummer was sensational. They had cameras set up above his kit and fans were able to see him play from a top side view on a big screen behind him. It was incredible. Don't know the name of the drummer. Wish I knew so I could give him kudos.

Hey, good to see you hop off another account and use this one.

I find it hilarious you troll me, honored to have a follower so devoted.

You should join the fan club of 88 and deadprez if you really like know it alls, and especially el pres if you like pompous.
Don't flatter yourself, councilor.
Only one account BTW.

I saw Steely Dan before Walter Becker passed. Maybe 7-8 years ago. Anyway, their drummer was sensational. They had cameras set up above his kit and fans were able to see him play from a top side view on a big screen behind him. It was incredible. Don't know the name of the drummer. Wish I knew so I could give him kudos.

I was (and still am) a big fan of Steely Dan. I once briefly met Walter Becker when he was living on Maui. Quiet, unassuming fellow. Sad that he passed away so young. I remember being curious a few years back about where they got the name for the band. Turns out "Steely Dan" was the name of a dildo in some offbeat book. Who would have thunk it?

Haake, Tomas

And a plethora of others unmentioned.

But if we are limiting the list to what bands get played on KOEL FM 105.3 Classic Rock then I suppose some of your lists have merit.

Normies gonna normy

Haake, Tomas

And a plethora of others unmentioned.

But if we are limiting the list to what bands get played on KOEL FM 105.3 Classic Rock then I suppose some of your lists have merit.

Normies gonna normy

As Sly Stone once sang, "Different strokes for different folks."

If you enjoy the work of Mr. Haake and the other "unmentioneds," hey, whatever floats your boat.

If, however, your purpose is to come on here to impress us with your avant garde tastes in music and deride what you apparently believe are the more pedestrian tastes of the rest of us, you remind me of the graduate student in the bar scene from Good Will Hunting:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT