ADVERTISEMENT

On the 2024 schedule

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
What are the most difficult games, in ranking order ?

Here is my ranking of the top 4:

1. @TAMU (8/31) Not because I expect TAMU will be great, but because it's our first game with a new QB and OC, and because Kyle Field can be a rocking place for opponents. The TAMU fans will be fired up with a new HC. I also expect it will be very hot that time of year, even if it is a night game, and the heat and humidity could give us problems.

2. @USC (11/30) Again, I don't necessarily expect USC will be great, but we are playing them at their house.

3. FSU (11/9) FSU should be good again, though maybe not as strong as last year. We have them at home after a bye week, so that will help.

4. Louisville (9/28) Hope we get some revenge on them for the beating they gave us at their place.

None of the other games appear that tough to me. Stanford looks like it is still in a down cycle, and we have them at home.

Last edited:
Pretty easy schedule. Probably the only 2 games which might give ND a battle is the 1st and last games, A&M and USC because both are on the road.
ND goes undefeated or 1 loss at the most. To bad they are not in a conference as the conf. championship game would definitely be their toughest game.

I have A&M as the toughest game. Opening the season against a talented SEC team at night on the road. A win would be a huge confidence boost and could catapult ND to an undefeated season.

I have FSU as the 2nd toughest game. Even though they lost some talent, they raided the Alabama roster after Saban's retirement. They will be a tough opponent.

USC third, It's the rivalry, this game is always circled as a tough matchup and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Louisville: It's the 5th straight game ND will be playing, and there always seems to be that one game a year where the team comes out flat. This one shouldn't be a tough game, but it could be if they come out flat.

I have A&M as the toughest game. Opening the season against a talented SEC team at night on the road. A win would be a huge confidence boost and could catapult ND to an undefeated season.

I have FSU as the 2nd toughest game. Even though they lost some talent, they raided the Alabama roster after Saban's retirement. They will be a tough opponent.

USC third, It's the rivalry, this game is always circled as a tough matchup and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Louisville: It's the 5th straight game ND will be playing, and there always seems to be that one game a year where the team comes out flat. This one shouldn't be a tough game, but it could be if they come out flat.
IMO, at USC over Thanksgiving weekend is a tougher game than at TAM, and frankly, so is Florida St.

That said, just beat TAM.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Pretty easy schedule. Probably the only 2 games which might give ND a battle is the 1st and last games, A&M and USC because both are on the road.
ND goes undefeated or 1 loss at the most. To bad they are not in a conference as the conf. championship game would definitely be their toughest game.
"Easy?" Notre Dame does not possess a Georgia roster. Or an Ohio St roster. For Notre Dame, there is nothing "easy..." about this schedule.

Reactions: lennyv and ohio1980
IMO, at USC over Thanksgiving weekend is a tougher game than at TAM, and frankly, so is Florida St.

That said, just beat TAM.
I'm not diminishing the USC game, but they lost Caleb Williams and their offense isn't going to be as dynamic as it was the past two years.

"Easy?" Notre Dame does not possess a Georgia roster. Or an Ohio St roster. For Notre Dame, there is nothing "easy..." about this schedule.
We are way more talented than 9 of the 12 teams we play, and arguably more talented than the other 3 too. Anything less than 10-2 in the regular season would be very disappointing next year.

Reactions: NDinNJ
We are way more talented than 9 of the 12 teams we play, and arguably more talented than the other 3 too. Anything less than 10-2 in the regular season would be very disappointing next year.
10-2 is my current prediction for next season. We simply have different definitions of easy. 9-3 would not shock me, 11-1 would not shock me. Way too many variables 7-10 months out that you simply can't predict.

Reactions: IrishMike409
TX A&M has stunk since 2020 (their last good season). Anything less then 11-1 next year would be a huge disappointment. 10-2 doesn't cut it with this schedule, quite weak for ND standards. Absolutely no reason the Irish are not in 12 team playoff.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
TX A&M has stunk since 2020 (their last good season). Anything less then 11-1 next year would be a huge disappointment. 10-2 doesn't cut it with this schedule, quite weak for ND standards. Absolutely no reason the Irish are not in 12 team playoff.
Thanks Mel

• Haha
Reactions: sluggo69
There's no question the schedule looks soft next year. It's strange that we haven't made the 12th game against Army official. It seemed like a done deal a few months ago - does anyone know what's happening there?

It's probably just some detail they haven't been able to work out, but wouldn't it be nice if they were working behind the scenes to add a solid opponent instead?

1. @TAMU (8/31) Not because I expect TAMU will be great, but because it's our first game with a new QB and OC, and because Kyle Field can be a rocking place for opponents. The TAMU fans will be fired up with a new HC. I also expect it will be very hot that time of year, even if it is a night game, and the heat and humidity could give us problems.

2. @USC (11/30) Again, I don't necessarily expect USC will be great, but we are playing them at their house.

3. FSU (11/9) FSU should be good again, though maybe not as strong as last year. We have them at home after a bye week, so that will help.

4. Louisville (9/28) Hope we get some revenge on them for the beating they gave us at their place.

None of the other games appear that tough to me. Stanford looks like it is still in a down cycle, and we have them at home.

1: FSU, Noles will be the favorite to win the ACC.
2: USC, defense should improve, Trojans hope to win 9 games.
3: A&M, solid talent overall, but totally discombobulated. A must win for ND to have a playoff type year.
4: Louisville, a good but far from great team. ND should win handily at home.

TX A&M has stunk since 2020 (their last good season). Anything less than 11-1 next year would be a huge disappointment. 10-2 doesn't cut it with this schedule, quite weak for ND standards. Absolutely no reason the Irish are not in 12 team playoff.
Agreed with everything but no reason. There are plenty of reasons- 1/ coaching, while optimistic and seemingly headed in the right direction, there are causes of concern with in-game adjustments/coaching decisions, 2/ unproven QB: we all like to anoint the next guy as the guy but reality is Leonard hasn’t proven he’s a playoff caliber QB, 3/ WR, S (opposite of Watts), LB, and DE are all question marks. Talent is there but yet to deliver. As in any year guys will step and become stars, #1/2 are the most crucial.

Agreed with everything but no reason. There are plenty of reasons- 1/ coaching, while optimistic and seemingly headed in the right direction, there are causes of concern with in-game adjustments/coaching decisions, 2/ unproven QB: we all like to anoint the next guy as the guy but reality is Leonard hasn’t proven he’s a playoff caliber QB, 3/ WR, S (opposite of Watts), LB, and DE are all question marks. Talent is there but yet to deliver. As in any year guys will step and become stars, #1/2 are the most crucial.
I guess "reason" was wrong word. I should of said no excuses.

1: FSU, Noles will be the favorite to win the ACC.
2: USC, defense should improve, Trojans hope to win 9 games.
3: A&M, solid talent overall, but totally discombobulated. A must win for ND to have a playoff type year.
4: Louisville, a good but far from great team. ND should win handily at home.
I think clemson will become favorite by season start

Reactions: ivan brunetti
I would be happy with 10-2 and a playoff spot next season. Extremely happy, and would not find that "weak..." at all.

Schedule appears to be pretty friendly, until it’s not. Every year teams surprise to the upside and downside, and next year’s schedule is likely to as well.

Agree with kool aid. Money.

Schedule appears to be pretty friendly, until it’s not. Every year teams surprise to the upside and downside, and next year’s schedule is likely to as well.
Agree. Predicting an easy schedule in February is foolish.

Winning at TAM in front of 110,000 is going to be difficult as hell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT