ADVERTISEMENT

OMG! ND football is dead!

11NCs

ND Expert
Mar 4, 2011
Notre Dame rank among Power 5 schools (even though ND is not a Power 5 school):

Athletic Dept revenue: #11 (Equity In Athletics)
Football revenue: #6
Athletic Dept excess of revenue over expenses: #17
Football excess of revenue over expenses: #6

Value of football program: #2 ($53M, Forbes)

Consecutive home sellouts: 252 (since 1973, NDAD)
Sellouts since 1964 (300 of 301)

Visiting team that drives up ticket prices the most: Notre Dame (Marketwatch.com)
Average increase in ticket prices when Notre Dame is visiting team: 96%

Expiration of ACC grant of rights (with current 5-game ND rotation): 2036

Likely playoff size in the near future: 8

OMG! ND better join a conference tomorrow...before its too late!

Yes you should. Jeepers as Greeny said today to Golic as he went thru the last 10 years of ND's record the perception is ND is good but the facts are they go to the Pinstripe type Bowl as much as a "great" one. They have averaged it appears around 5 losses a year. Golic even admitted he agreed that it was all based on perception and not results.

Yes you should. Jeepers as Greeny said today to Golic as he went thru the last 10 years of ND's record the perception is ND is good but the facts are they go to the Pinstripe type Bowl as much as a "great" one. They have averaged it appears around 5 losses a year. Golic even admitted he agreed that it was all based on perception and not results.

Greenie is a neurotic idiot

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Oh I agree on Greeney but ND's losses each year for the past 10 are really bad. My point is simple. If ND does not start running the table or close they have zero chance of the top 4 without joining a conference. And having guys like Golic try to justify ND and independence just hurts ND's position. Well we were close to Clemson and Stanford but got hammered by OSU so we were close. Lost 3 games last year the best year in 10 plus besides the Alabama year and average losing 4 plus games each over 10 years? Really?! Love the fandom or homers by the Father-Son Golic team but so embarrassing and get crushed across the board by objective stats.

Reactions: ohio1980
It takes the athletes to come and play. Problem is... Most difference makers can not qualify academically. Answer... Join a conference. I am not in favor of this. Start a new league that levelsvtheplaying field... Doubt it will,ever happen. Pray the NCAA will go after institutions in the SEC... probably never happen....

I get it. The Era of Mediocrity is very lucrative. There's truck loads of cash to be made in being a museum piece for college football.

Do you like seeing more Nebraska fans in the stands than ND fans at a home game? I personally think it sucks. But, cha-ching! Another sellout, so never mind the score, ND wins!!

I don't want ND to join a conference. But if the possibility of having to join one lights a fire under everyone's arses so they actually demand football excellence in today's competitive landscape, I'm all for it.

The Era of Mediocrity with its massive money train breeds complacency. I'm just searching for a reason, any reason, for the school to demand football excellence.

I get it. The Era of Mediocrity is very lucrative.

The Era of Mediocrity with its massive money train breeds complacency. I'm just searching for a reason, any reason, for the school to demand football excellence.[/QUOTE

What you apparently don't get is that Independence drives the money train. Regionalizing ND (pick a conference, it doesn't mattter which one) is the worst thing ND could do.

I get it. The Era of Mediocrity is very lucrative. There's truck loads of cash to be made in being a museum piece for college football.

Do you like seeing more Nebraska fans in the stands than ND fans at a home game? I personally think it sucks. But, cha-ching! Another sellout, so never mind the score, ND wins!!

I don't want ND to join a conference. But if the possibility of having to join one lights a fire under everyone's arses so they actually demand football excellence in today's competitive landscape, I'm all for it.

The Era of Mediocrity with its massive money train breeds complacency. I'm just searching for a reason, any reason, for the school to demand football excellence.

You are aware that those tickets were sold to Nebraska fans by ND fans, right? It's not as though ND derived any benefit from the resale.

You are aware that those tickets were sold to Nebraska fans by ND fans, right? It's not as though ND derived any benefit from the resale.

I know that. The fact that there were more Nebraska fans representing the sold out stadium because of disinterest by ND fans was my point. Did not affect the bottom line in the Era of Mediocrity.

What you apparently don't get is that Independence drives the money train. Regionalizing ND (pick a conference, it doesn't mattter which one) is the worst thing ND could do.

I do get that. My point is that continued mediocrity may affect the ability to stay independent. And losing independence may affect the money train. Maybe this will put some pressure on the school to demand football excellence. And that comes from the top down IMO.

We are 58% independent....

So you are saying by threatening (itself) to join a conference for football is going to put pressure ND (itself) to demand football excellence? That is some kind of logic you got going there.

Straw man. No one says it is dead. Many say it could be much better with a new coach. I actually thing that with a good DC and Kelly letting someone else call plays and manage the game Kelly could be good enough to return the teams to past glory. But I have to admit, many here know the situation better than I.

Straw man. No one says it is dead. Many say it could be much better with a new coach. I actually thing that with a good DC and Kelly letting someone else call plays and manage the game Kelly could be good enough to return the teams to past glory. But I have to admit, many here know the situation better than I.

You're not very good at recognizing sarcasm, are you? Anyway, the subject I responded to was conference membership. Seemed obvious to me, but maybe not to you. By the way, if any school has proved changing coaches may solve nothing, its USC.

Last edited:
You're not very good at recognizing sarcasm, are you? Anyway, the subject I responded to was conference membership. Seemed obvious to me, but maybe not to you. By the way, if any school has proved changing coaches may solve nothing, its USC.

I did miss the sarcasm, my bad. Not sure you can look at SC changing from one bad coach to another sloves nothing, but that isn't the only option.

So you are saying by threatening (itself) to join a conference for football is going to put pressure ND (itself) to demand football excellence? That is some kind of logic you got going there.

No, my argument is ND may feel more pressure from the outside to join a conference if the mediocrity continues. Especially if it were to affect the national TV contract. IMO it's easier for ND to call their own shots if they're one of the top programs in the country. But, maybe not, in which case there's no need to demand football excellence!

if ND loses and loses, and becomes increasingly none relevant to national prominance, then fans will fall away, interest will wane and the $ will cease to flow. At this time ND's brand is why conferences pursue ND.
Should that brand become tarnished interest from conferences will also fade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT