ADVERTISEMENT

OL. Will Rudolph default to experience over potential

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
We’re halfway through Spring training, and I haven’t seen any really positive reports on the play of our OL. If You go by what’s reported, it looks like Schrauth will win one guard spot (which I like) and Kristofic the other (which I don’t like). I think Rudolph will prove to be a really good selection to replace Harry, and I am really hopeful that he does in fact play our best five complimentary linemen. I definitely don’t think Kristofic, a fifth year senior who has always been a first in back up, is one of our five best: at least I hope not. I said the same of Zeke last year, but he had a solid year and probably still holds an edge over Coogan, but still hope Coogan gets a strong look at center or guard. We have Massive Jagusah coming this June, and hope Rudolph gives him an honest opportunity to compete against Kristofic As a true freshman. is Anybody reading reports about Baker or Chan, and how they’re playing this Spring? Is either playing good enough to justify moving Fisher to guard next to Alt? And of course, you can’t have a discussion about our OL without wondering why Rocco can‘t beat out Kristofic! Although I keep reading that his pass blocking is a major weakness.

Based on practice reports, looks like Rudolph is going with:
Alt
Schrauth
Zeke
Kristofic
Fisher

Is this really our best five? Opinions?

We’re halfway through Spring training, and I haven’t seen any really positive reports on the play of our OL. If You go by what’s reported, it looks like Schrauth will win one guard spot (which I like) and Kristofic the other (which I don’t like). I think Rudolph will prove to be a really good selection to replace Harry, and I am really hopeful that he does in fact play our best five complimentary linemen. I definitely don’t think Kristofic, a fifth year senior who has always been a first in back up, is one of our five best: at least I hope not. I said the same of Zeke last year, but he had a solid year and probably still holds an edge over Coogan, but still hope Coogan gets a strong look at center or guard. We have Massive Jagusah coming this June, and hope Rudolph gives him an honest opportunity to compete against Kristofic As a true freshman. is Anybody reading reports about Baker or Chan, and how they’re playing this Spring? Is either playing good enough to justify moving Fisher to guard next to Alt? And of course, you can’t have a discussion about our OL without wondering why Rocco can beat out Kristofic! Although I keep reading that his pass blocking is a major weakness.

Alt
Schrauth
Zeke
Kristofic
Fisher

1. Blake isnt moving to guard. Hes going to start at right tackle and either jump to the pros after the year or move over to left tackle if Alt enters the draft.

2. Coogan might be our least talented OL. I dont know why you'd want him over a guy like Craig or Carmody. That seems odd.

3. Reports are Rocco has slow feet. He just doesnt move his feet well enough. He was a little overhyped in HS.

4. Kristofic isnt bad. Can he be as good or better than Lugg last year. Yeah probably.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Too bad Wagner is having problems gaining weight. Easily the most athletic of all the offensive lineman. Most would kill to have his metabolism. Freakishly strong lower half, but needs to gain weight. Supposedly on 6500 calories a day.

Too bad Wagner is having problems gaining weight. Easily the most athletic of all the offensive lineman. Most would kill to have his metabolism. Freakishly strong lower half, but needs to gain weight. Supposedly on 6500 calories a day.
I told you it was going to be an issue for him... small lower half, thinner frame

He's not in the plans for this year anyway. I think he'll be ready by next year. Needs about 15 more pounds

1. Blake isnt moving to guard. Hes going to start at right tackle and either jump to the pros after the year or move over to left tackle if Alt enters the draft.

2. Coogan might be our least talented OL. I dont know why you'd want him over a guy like Craig or Carmody. That seems odd.

3. Reports are Rocco has slow feet. He just doesnt move his feet well enough. He was a little overhyped in HS.

4. Kristofic isnt bad. Can he be as good or better than Lugg last year. Yeah probably.
Didn’t say I wanted Coogan over Craig or Carmody. My point was simply that we have options beyond going with the obvious lineup of four guys with experience and one guy with potential, and my hope that Rudolph is at least looking at these options. Personally, I hope Rudolph decides we have a better option than starting Kristofic.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
I told you it was going to be an issue for him... small lower half, thinner frame

He's not in the plans for this year anyway. I think he'll be ready by next year. Needs about 15 more pounds
Do you wear Nike and drink Bud Light?

I read that he was up to 278, which is still light for a RT. I’d love it if he was heavy enough and strong enough to at least raise the possibility of moving Fisher to guard, just not clear what weight he has to carry to do so. That said, very encouraged to read that Fisher has lost weight and redistributed weight and playing and moving better than last season. Chan is another intriguing option…and questions persist as to whether he’s pure tackle or better suited for guard.

Maybe move to DT ?

Didn’t say I wanted Coogan over Craig or Carmody. My point was simply that we have options beyond going with the obvious lineup of four guys with experience and one guy with potential, and my hope that Rudolph is at least looking at these options. Personally, I hope Rudolph decides we have a better option than starting Kristofic.
Kristofic isnt a bad option. And a better one than Coogan

I dont know if Chan is playing tackle or guard

Last edited:
Kristofic isnt a bad option. And a beer one than Coogan

I dont know if Chan is plaging tackle or guard
Agreed, he’s not a bad option. But is He a good option that elevates our line play? Seems to me a fifth year senior should be really good to keep younger higher ceiling guys on the bench. Not discounting experience, just think his ceiling is known and limited. Rudolph knows a hell of a lot more than I do about offensive line play, and I’ll be supporting whatever lineup he decides on; just hoping Kristofic doesn’t have a lock on the position due to his experience. Hell, I’d be happy if One of Jagusah or Chan or Carmody or Wagner, et Al played well enough to force himself into the starting lineup with Kristofic being odd man out, and first man in.

We’re halfway through Spring training, and I haven’t seen any really positive reports on the play of our OL. If You go by what’s reported, it looks like Schrauth will win one guard spot (which I like) and Kristofic the other (which I don’t like). I think Rudolph will prove to be a really good selection to replace Harry, and I am really hopeful that he does in fact play our best five complimentary linemen. I definitely don’t think Kristofic, a fifth year senior who has always been a first in back up, is one of our five best: at least I hope not. I said the same of Zeke last year, but he had a solid year and probably still holds an edge over Coogan, but still hope Coogan gets a strong look at center or guard. We have Massive Jagusah coming this June, and hope Rudolph gives him an honest opportunity to compete against Kristofic As a true freshman. is Anybody reading reports about Baker or Chan, and how they’re playing this Spring? Is either playing good enough to justify moving Fisher to guard next to Alt? And of course, you can’t have a discussion about our OL without wondering why Rocco can‘t beat out Kristofic! Although I keep reading that his pass blocking is a major weakness.

Alt
Schrauth
Zeke
Kristofic
Fisher

Good post. Rocco has been a mystery but maybe it’s time for fans to come to terms that he is not good enough I’m disappointed. Wanted the kid to do well

Agreed, he’s not a bad option. But is He a good option that elevates our line play? Seems to me a fifth year senior should be really good to keep younger higher ceiling guys on the bench. Not discounting experience, just think his ceiling is known and limited. Rudolph knows a hell of a lot more than I do about offensive line play, and I’ll be supporting whatever lineup he decides on; just hoping Kristofic doesn’t have a lock on the position due to his experience. Hell, I’d be happy if One of Jagusah or Chan or Carmody or Wagner, et Al played well enough to force himself into the starting lineup with Kristofic being odd man out, and first man in.
Wagner is a tackle and way too small for guard. No chance there.

Kristofic has played much better than Carmody

Jagusah and Chan are interesting but hopefully are tackles so they need those reps there

Alt
Schrauth
Zeke
Kristofic
Fisher

Is it that Rocco can't beat out others or is this another HH type of move by rewarding more experienced ,older players? I think Rocco should be a starter. If not, he is likely not gonna stay around if not given a fair shot.

Is it that Rocco can't beat out others or is this another HH type of move by rewarding more experienced ,older players? I think Rocco should be a starter. If not, he is likely not gonna stay around if not given a fair shot.
Rocco will not start unless he transfers. He's just doesn't move well enough. If his name wasn't Rocco, most would not not be wishing he start at ND

Alt and Fisher started as sophomores last year so that argument doesnt really hold weight

Rocco is struggling. Slow feet

• Sad
Great to hear that Wagner, while not ready or perfectly suited to play today, is gaining weight and making progress. It’ll be critical that we’re prepared to replace Alt and Fisher beginning in 24. Hoping that Wagner and Jagusah are ideal LT and RT solutions.

Billy S, Jagusah, Wagner is a young and athletic core. We’ll need a C and another G for 24.

Love OL talk.

Great to hear that Wagner, while not ready or perfectly suited to play today, is gaining weight and making progress. It’ll be critical that we’re prepared to replace Alt and Fisher beginning in 24. Hoping that Wagner and Jagusah are ideal LT and RT solutions.

Billy S, Jagusah, Wagner is a young and athletic core. We’ll need a C and another G for 24.

Love OL talk.
Dont know if he'll use it but Zeke can come back in 24 and start at center

I really wished Charles J was participating this spring. He's a future stud.
The oline will be better this year if only for the fact that ND will finally throw the ball down field

Good post. Rocco has been a mystery but maybe it’s time for fans to come to terms that he is not good enough I’m disappointed. Wanted the kid to do well

Love OL talk.
Agreed. None Has played a down yet, but the potential of these three is off the charts.

Rocco will not start unless he transfers. He's just doesn't move well enough. If his name wasn't Rocco, most would not not be wishing he start at ND
Almost Everything I read agrees with this. The only disconnect for me is the hype we all read during Spring ball before his freshman year. He and Fisher were touted as the left side of the future, with some speculation both could even start as true freshmen. Fisher gets hurt the first game, comes back as RT the next year, and Rocco hasn’t seen the field. This should be his year to grab one of the two guard spots, and yet we continue to read that his pass blocking is poor and that he’s slow afoot.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Kristofic isnt a bad option. And a better one than Coogan

I dont know if Chan is playing tackle or guard
I thought Kristofic should have moved to center…. But maybe he didn’t because we don’t have good guard play. Kristofic was fine at guard(better than zeke) but nothing special

I thought Kristofic should have moved to center…. But maybe he didn’t because we don’t have good guard play. Kristofic was fine at guard(better than zeke) but nothing special
Zeke was never a guard and played out of position

6500 calories. That's 3 times a normal guy's intake.

You have to earn the job.

Reactions: d1042
Alt and Fisher started as sophomores last year so that argument doesnt really hold weight

Rocco is struggling. Slow feet
He was recruited over and two coaching changes. I still think he should be on the DL this year. A watch candidate post spring transfer imo depending on how Rudolph views him

He was recruited over and two coaching changes. I still think he should be on the DL this year. A watch candidate post spring transfer imo depending on how Rudolph views him
Hope he stays for depth.

We dont need him at DT

Do you honestly think he will stay to Be a depth piece? If he gets beat out by Schrauth and in turn can’t beat out Kristofi, I would expect him to transfer after Spring ball if he values football over the ND degree.
Maybe he will leave. Maybe he will stay. I dont know

But I hope he stays for depth

Hope he stays for depth.

We dont need him at DT
You NEVER turn down a 320 lbs dt that wants to play at Notre Dame. Even without a gapping dt scheme he'd rotate in today just like Chris Smith last year. He will not likely ever play ol at ND.

You NEVER turn down a 320 lbs dt that wants to play at Notre Dame. Even without a gapping dt scheme he'd rotate in today just like Chris Smith last year. He will not likely ever play ol at ND.
He has no chance to play at DT. Zero. Hes not the player that Chris Smith was last year. And hes not nearly as good right now as the guys we have

Hes 2nd team at guard.

The move to Defense is offseason message board nonsense. Not realistic

Reactions: jcswoopnh
He has no chance to play at DT. Zero. Hes not the player that Chris Smith was last year. And hes not nearly as good right now as the guys we have

Hes 2nd team at guard.

The move to Defense is offseason message board nonsense. Not realistic
"The move to Defense is offseason message board nonsense"

And that is any different from "in-season" nonsense on a message board?

Reactions: Golson5
Not to Pile on Rocco but II posted that walk on Quinn Murphy is a better OG than Rocco right now. Things can change, but I wouldn't expect him to be playing much if at all this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT