ADVERTISEMENT

OL starting to look better

NotreDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Feb 12, 2005
Thankfully. If they can keep steadily improving, this team will be dangerous down the stretch. Toughest game left is Virginia. 11-1 would be an absolute dream come true with all the struggles this year. We still need to get more out of Lewis/Bracy.

No, what made the OL appear better was Buchner’s ability to run. When Buchner was running the ball, it opened up gaps for the RBs as well. On passing downs his ability to move the pocket and scramble kept him from getting sacked.

Now, I will say I was shocked that Coan didn’t get sacked once on the last two drives. I was watching and couldn’t understand why VT wasn’t rushing more then four guys though either. Even the commentators referenced that a few times on those drives.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
The O-line has no problem when there are 4 rushers it is the 5th rusher that gives them fits. It might be an identification problem more than anything

Also when Buchner come in it makes it easier on the OL.

With Buchner in, there are 3 options the defense has to pay attention to ... (1) Buchner passes, (2) Buchner runs, (3) Buchner hands off to the sole RB [ and on occasion Buchner hands of to a 2nd runner]. So the opponent's defense can't focus on (1) the sole RB on running plays or (2) the QB on passing plays.

With Coan, because he is not likely to run on his own. the opponents defense can focus on our sole RB on runs and on Coan when he drops back to pass.

So with Buchner in the opponents defense is more spread out and results in more one on one situations for our OL which is easier. When Coan is in, it is more likely that the opponents will be throwing LBs and safeties into the line to stop a run or rush the QB causing more blocking mismatches for our OL.

The problem for Buchner is that he makes one read, and if it's not there he runs. Teams can gameplan against if he becomes the starter. We saw Tech make a halftime adjustment and Buchner didn't complete a pass in the second half.

He doesn't look ready to me. I'd start Pyne.

The problem for Buchner is that he makes one read, and if it's not there he runs. Teams can gameplan against if he becomes the starter. We saw Tech make a halftime adjustment and Buchner didn't complete a pass in the second half.

Buchner did complete one pass in the second half IIRC. He's making freshman mistakes, and you have to trade his type of plane which may include one or two interceptions a game versus multiple sacks. Sedulity sword, and neither is good to have.

Thats why he needs first team reps in practice and in the games

Reactions: Kelso86
The O-line has no problem when there are 4 rushers it is the 5th rusher that gives them fits. It might be an identification problem more than anything
That's flat wrong.

Fisher, Carroll, and Lugg have been HORRIBLE in pass coverage in 4 man fronts. Lugg played good last game, and so did alt. Benching Carroll is the best thing possible as he was lost on all blocking assignments.

That's flat wrong.

Fisher, Carroll, and Lugg have been HORRIBLE in pass coverage in 4 man fronts. Lugg played good last game, and so did alt. Benching Carroll is the best thing possible as he was lost on all blocking assignments.
I feel bad for Zeke. He was alright last year at C. Where did it go wrong for him?

Buchner did complete one pass in the second half IIRC. He's making freshman mistakes, and you have to trade his type of plane which may include one or two interceptions a game versus multiple sacks. Sedulity sword, and neither is good to have.
Anybody with a football IQ over 2 knows that turnovers are game killers, far more damaging than sacks.

With approximately 12 possessions per game a net two interception/turnovers a game almost guarantee a loss.

Stick to your day job.!

Agree with all points. Buchner needs reps and the keys to this car. The offense is much more explosive and they don’t have teams just loading the box on them.
Then how did Coan orchestrate two game winning drives in the last three minutes ?

And six games into the season that’s still a problem for the OLINE ?

What does that tell you about their talent level ?

What would that tell you about the coaching of the OLINE ?

Look. I get it. You love Coan. We simply are not 5-1 if Coan plays every down. Who was it that took over at the 4 yard line against Toledo to score on a 96 yard drive. Who put the first 21 up against VT? He is an great kid and has a good arm. I just don’t see him continuing to start as Buchner gets more reps. I like them both but you can’t ignore who got us out of the ditch with Toledo and VT. I root for whoever is in at the time.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Agreed

And what would our record be if Buchner played 50 % of the time in your esteemed estimation ?

It’s so hard to say, I would guess worse if everything was as is. He was primarily 3rd string in reps through camp and fall. He was extremely limited in packages. Would have been bad I think.

if we had no option and they put all their chips on him day 1, maybe 4-2 and with very early losses on mistakes, not the inability to use the entire offense and move the ball.

When he hit his open receivers they could not be stopped. There were no sacks and coverage sacks mean he was down field for 5-7 yards. He is a faster and taller Book. That move in the open field against VT broke the defenders legs.

I we have a good enough lead then play him. Right now to play him is to lose.
We would have lost 2 more games without him including VT.

He completely changes the run game and OL pass blocking

We can play both and still win. He has to play

That's flat wrong.

Fisher? He played 2 quarters. It's Correll, not Carroll

IMO, the only qb that might be 6-0 right now is Drew Pyne.
seni-related— Did you ever see One On One with Robbie Benson. He was too small, didn’t play well in practice, liked to improvise and Coach did not love him. But ol’ Henry Steele had a knack for winning. Not a Seals and Croft fan but that music set a great tone for the movie. Also, maybe the best job by a Hollywood actor showing real sports skills—Costner was not bad in For the Love of the Game.

Look. I get it. You love Coan. We simply are not 5-1 if Coan plays every down. Who was it that took over at the 4 yard line against Toledo to score on a 96 yard drive. Who put the first 21 up against VT? He is an great kid and has a good arm. I just don’t see him continuing to start as Buchner gets more reps. I like them both but you can’t ignore who got us out of the ditch with Toledo and VT. I root for whoever is in at the time.
Why are so many so willing to overlook Buchner‘s two (2) disastrous interceptions that resulted in two (2) VT Touchdowns .

That didn't answer my question----drivel on.
What was your question. You seem offended people dont hold your same opinion. Buchner is more talented and has more upside than Coan. He is better in the run game and is better for the OL. Id go with Buchner and have Coan or Pyne ready to come in and assist when needed.

Agreed

And what would our record be if Buchner played 50 % of the time in your esteemed estimation ?
It depends. Is the package like cincy or like vtech? The cincy game goes different all around if we had a better game plan.

The stupidity of some here is amazing.

TB is not the second coming of Trevor Lawrence or anyone else of that stature.

IF we had played him at best we would be 2-4.

Pyne- maybe 3-3.

The way the TB knob jobbers ignore his DISASTROUS pics and the overall LOUSY stats is unbelievable.

The stupidity of some here is amazing.

TB is not the second coming of Trevor Lawrence or anyone else of that stature.

IF we had played him at best we would be 2-4.

Pyne- maybe 3-3.

The way the TB knob jobbers ignore his DISASTROUS pics and the overall LOUSY stats is unbelievable.
Toledo - Dynamic, don't win without him

Purdue - he was fine, Coan played solid and buchner wasn't given much of a chance, so hard to evaluate

Cincy - Coan was terrible, and buchner was terrible, but buchner had horrendous game plan

Tech - He was dynamic at times and terrible at times, but still don't win without him. Might have gotten blown out without him.

I do not think he's Trevor lawrence. The problem is we have no clue how good he could be because he's getting minimal reps and a small package. He has a lot to work on, but also a lot to build on.

Toledo - Dynamic, don't win without him

Purdue - he was fine, Coan played solid and buchner wasn't given much of a chance, so hard to evaluate

Cincy - Coan was terrible, and buchner was terrible, but buchner had horrendous game plan

Tech - He was dynamic at times and terrible at times, but still don't win without him. Might have gotten blown out without him.

I do not think he's Trevor lawrence. The problem is we have no clue how good he could be because he's getting minimal reps and a small package. He has a lot to work on, but also a lot to build on.
So basically you come up with every possible excuse for when TB stinks.

That's flat wrong.

Could be. Maybe VTech wasn't that strong on the Dline. Not too many guys just nudged their way into the backfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT