ADVERTISEMENT

O Line today

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
I thought the OL was really good today. New OL coach too. Any comments from OL guys out here?

Our run blocking was outstanding for most the game. Kept an eye on both Rocco and Coogan. Coogan looked lost a few times looking for someone to hit, and Rocco was steam rolling guys on a regular basis. Hate it when a team like Navy is able to get any pressure on our QB, and they did on several plays. I don’t have access to recording right now, so can’t go back and take a look at these few instances. I think the best takeaway is that our OL should push Navy around at the line of scrimmage, and that’s exactly what they did. The lack of penalties was very impressive. credit to Rudolph.

Reactions: bcnd and Kelso86
Our run blocking was outstanding for most the game. Kept an eye on both Rocco and Coogan. Coogan looked lost a few times looking for someone to hit, and Rocco was steam rolling guys on a regular basis. Hate it when a team like Navy is able to get any pressure on our QB, and they did on several plays. I don’t have access to recording right now, so can’t go back and take a look at these few instances. I think the best takeaway is that our OL should push Navy around at the line of scrimmage, and that’s exactly what they did. The lack of penalties was very impressive. credit to Rudolph.
I remember one holding penalty on #88, TE Evans. I was in and out of the room, but are you saying we had no penalties on the offensive line at all? If so, that's a major advancement.

Reactions: bcnd and DublinND
I remember one holding penalty on #88, TE Evans. I was in and out of the room, but are you saying we had no penalties on the offensive line at all? If so, that's a major advancement.
That was the one penalty called on ND today and while it was a hold there’s no doubt Estime would have gained a first down if tackled by that defender.

Reactions: edub72

And we didn’t burn 3 timeouts before the end of the first quarter because we couldn’t get the play in or substitutions on time. We actually could use them at the end of the half to stop the clock. Refreshing from our new OC.

Tell -- I saw one or two pressures, nothing big. I thought They looked athletic. Moving and hitting people. Last year Navy pushed US around in the second half. Not this year.

Reactions: Kelso86
That was the one penalty called on ND today and while it was a hold there’s no doubt Estime would have gained a first down if tackled by that defender.
I'm impressed. No false starts, which we used to have in abundance; no delay of game calls; no illegal shifts. Wow.

Reactions: bcnd and NDinNJ
Coogan got upfield, just didn't find someone to block and just stood there a few times. That can be corrected with film work. He was physical at the line which is what we need. It will be something to watch vs ncst and OSU though...because he's gonna have to find his man against those lbs ..

Reactions: bcnd
Tell -- I saw one or two pressures, nothing big. I thought They looked athletic. Moving and hitting people. Last year Navy pushed US around in the second half. Not this year.
Yea Stu…maybe four plays in total, a couple were hits on Hartman a nano second after he released the ball. Very good protection overall. You know their HC was DC last year, and is known for aggressive defensive play which means taking risks. ND and Hartman in particular made them pay, but so did our running game and play calling. Last year’s second half was damn nauseating. This year was taking care of business by players and coaches.

Yep. One!

Coogan got upfield, just didn't find someone to block and just stood there a few times. That can be corrected with film work. He was physical at the line which is what we need. It will be something to watch vs ncst and OSU though...because he's gonna have to find his man against those lbs ..
Yes, that is what I was referencing. He looked lost looking left and right trying to find someone to block, and then Estime was beyond him. Easily corrected as you say.

OL was remarkably good, insanely efficient: Navy returned 10/11 starters from a 2022 NCAA top 5 rush defense and ND made them look ridiculous. The initial surge was weirdly good on nearly every run.

They’re also Marines. Watch it

As previously posted, They were very good against the run last year and returned 10/11 defensive starters.
Not positive regarding stats, but thought Navy’s defense last season averaged something like 88 yards on the ground per game, and limited us to less than 70. They brought essentially the same defensive players and aggressive defensive schemes, and our coaches out coached their counterparts, and our players executed beautifully. I Don’t think we’re going to see teams loading the box with eight players this year or in the foreseeable future with the talent in our qb room and future commits. Refreshing!

Not positive regarding stats, but thought Navy’s defense last season averaged something like 88 yards on the ground per game, and limited us to less than 70. They brought essentially the same defensive players and aggressive defensive schemes, and our coaches out coached their counterparts, and our players executed beautifully. I Don’t think we’re going to see teams loading the box with eight players this year or in the foreseeable future with the talent in our qb room and future commits. Refreshing!

Told my wife today that this could be the best balanced offense we’ve had in some time. That’s great news. If it plays out that is. The talent at QB is finally there to bring it all together

Last edited:
Reactions: Telx1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT